Official Home Gym Building Thread

Man of Honour
Setting up a gym in home is near to impossible. You wont be satisfied. I tried it once and got my self a hydro becnch-press which can be used as a shoulder press as well and for thighs also. But it didnt work out. and later i joined the gym. You see the main thing is the environment and motivation that you get from a gym.

I heard that over and over again but couldn't be further from the truth in my opinion

I stopped going to the gym recently after 8 years because I just became jaded with it and knew I wouldn't compete again, and wanted a change, took up cycling. Missed it after 2 months and bought a home gym. Squat rack, bench, 150kg of plates and a 7ft bar and some dumbbells and I'm enjoying my training more than I've done in years.

If you're lucky and in a decent gym with people who know what they are doing, then fair enough, I used to be but then it closed and had to move to a chain gym. But tbh, every gym is full of idiots now who are more interested in selfies and instagram shots than getting on with training. It couldn't be less motivating

I love not feeling rushed, I love that I no longer feel rage from watching all the dickheads in the gym film themselves or doing ridiculous exercises/weight collecting at the bench. I can just get on with it now, even curl in the squat rack if I want ;)

Associate
I just picked up some extra non rubber coated weights and the trx type system for the gf.
Does anyone know of a good value weights tree or something I can make? Currently using a few bits of wood but I need some proper storage now.

Soldato
I've always wanted a big hanging punch bag despite never using one before.
I'm moving into a new house next week and it has a garage which would be ideal for this.

Any pointers for a beginner? I mainly want it to keep fit..

Associate
My brother and i are planning on creating a bit of a garage gym. Space is pretty tight and i'm trying to budget around £1000 all in.
He'll be doing 5x5 and i'll be doing that alongside some Olympic lifting (crossfit) so need a bar with bumpers which affects the price somewhat.
Would anyone be so kind in doing a bit of a spec check for me?
Rack - fairly compact which helps
Bar and weights - 170kg will be more than enough. Will pick some some fractional plates for cheap elsewhere
Bench - no idea here - seems okay?

Not sure about, flooring - what thickness/brands do people recommend?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Associate
Has anybody ordered from bestgymequipment?

The Powerblock dumbbells I ordered about a year ago have been discontinued, and so are out of stock at all the normal places. I've been looking for the addon kit to take them from 23kg to 41kg. These seemingly have them in stock at the lowest price i can find. But having placed my order, they're telling me they're is delays in the dispatching of my order....order was processed and money taken the same day, but have been waiting for them to be dispatched for 4 days now.

Maybe i'm too used to quick dispatching and delivery. But i'm concerned, so wondering if anyone else has ordered from them in the past and whether you had issues.

Soldato
A lot of faffing and swearing but we got there in the end:

ker9LN1GwF9bikpre_Bi0khAkrwC-nfH-WRkMGox77_bYBK11kPN-viArZQApPpnvlerIap1SPE7pCMQKM8Ke9GU0-zE6KBMe7dgEJSrapRhOdGXbsyJGt_mPxNPjK6uBzntjErtz9wiY2fQ11CqfjdbBYXoMLFyjCFUhaNS6wlpWvdR7rFovrmceFgkhWH6VpZPmUpGTQEPQr4-BNrjqr6hSrJ88W2qKCEAG-3D_D3QT2Lu72Qu83cCynjCWQzXOMamv0P4aNXq4lTAPXx_gRYaQ6ETBEtii31Pi89n14c6BntsyJCCVKqw0nTCrN4-EffjA3VcrmtxLAZ8m6-amPRyS8NnRu6X-97NlwFJNsXJn-KaZye6Tg85QmfV78I2M8riiNDHup-TfNprT53x2JwZYBMiSp2BN-QgeJwkLq3G_6qd0lOjwb13IV8q16SBvPIa3ILI0jJHqD5ebRTGUbbKXXA0y8ja06efKSd-VBlWZF-RqjePl317rWOy5XdU-Bn9jj8MY5EZBUGNyNvu19AyAiOHPOI4zKDmr1SD2_lCqIVbVQLuhWpMSY_KPTFDRViY6TWQTi12Zd6XWHgLGhytsti5UBJkh2nJ1Lw=w726-h1289-no

Pulley system finally in place! :)

Associate
Having moved back to the UK, and now renting a property with a garage I've started to clear it out to make space for some equipment.

I'm currently thinking power rack, bench, battle rope, slam ball, and some bands (assisted pull-ups) to start with. Then depending on space and funds, GHD bench, punch bag, tyre and sledgehammers. My fitness goals are to loose weight and build strength.

In terms of flooring, where would folks recommend for rubber mats; ones that won't be useless but won't break the bank either? Whilst the equipment will likely be second hand to start with I'd still prefer to protect the items I have and help reduce some of the sound in the garage. Advice welcomed :)

Man of Honour
I've got a half rack, bench and weights in bound for a garage gym. Looking forward to it. At the rate of my gym membership it should pay for itself in 12 months and I much prefer my own company.

Man of Honour
Looks good. Nice environment, mine is still a smeggy garage.

I got my rack built last night. Bench this morning. May actually get to use it tonight.

Back
Top Bottom