New build for VR focused PC

Associate
OP
Now CPU Coolers, I abit of a freak for the RGB type stuff, when I built my current system there was no RGB stuff and had made my own kinda.

Is there any big difference between the Corsair HYDRO H115I PRO RGB PERFORMANCE LIQUID COOLER - 280MM or KRAKEN X62 AIO WATER COOLING UNIT - 280MM

Personally I'm liking the RBG control of the Kraken, would like the Corsair more if the actual CPU mount was all black instead of silver.

Sorry for the questions as i'm just getting back into building PC and I'm very far behind :D

Thanks ö7

Soldato
Corsair uses the latest version of asstek (Asetek) . Should be a quieter more efficient pump .
Those this choice was done before EK management switching over to Corsair :)
Both are solid units as far as Closed Loops Go and caste improvement over their first outings :)

Associate
OP
Hey there folks, I know its been awhile since I've even checked or posted but I was kinda waiting to see what the next GFX cards was gonna offer as well if there was going to be a big jump in chipsets for intel. Almost decided it won't be worth me waiting for the chipset update as I will be waiting forever pushing my build back as there are always updates on the horizon.

Here is my current build minus Gfx Card as I can use my current Geforce 970Strix til I decide on the 1080Ti or 2080Ti and next gen VR headset come out next yr.

Seems at the moment OC is out of stock of memory. I want atleast 32Gb memory, RGB addressable (VENGEANCE RGB 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C18 3600MHZ QUAD CHANNEL MEMORY KIT (CMR32GX4M4C360) is my thinking.

The PSU may get changed out as its been suggested in the past that Corsair PSU's are abit funky.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,580.24 (includes shipping: £15.30)​

Soldato
What’s happened by then? Is this the next chip set I’ve been hearing about?

aye, have to see if mine arrives before signing NDA paper to see if i can upload a picture haha , Z370 hero is more then enough board for 8 core chips anyways, flagships should be fine with them if needing to save cash. though i have a feeling 9th Gen cores will cost a bomb! I know the numbers of samples intel is sending out and its tight... real tight!!!!!!!!!!!!
might make the 8th gen currently look like bargin haha

Associate
OP
You have any idea when the new stuff will be available for to purchase & rough pricing?

Looking particularly at Asus mobos as I’ve never had a problem with them over the years and would like to stick with them if possible.

Soldato
You have any idea when the new stuff will be available for to purchase & rough pricing?

Looking particularly at Asus mobos as I’ve never had a problem with them over the years and would like to stick with them if possible.

https://videocardz.com/78256/asus-z390-rog-maximus-xi-strix-prime-and-tuf-motherboards-leaked

i know gigabyte been teasing 8th but know idea if thats paper/chipset launch etc . wouldn't know till i get paper in front of me then cant mention a thing , cant ask the others normally i'll tease dd/mm/yy/quart etc but this time i cant

z370 is not EOL.. cheaper boards will still be made, specially with 14nm node being backlogged , entry z390 will cost more then their z370 did- or will now any ways. hope get a good deal with the Hero, but its hoping you get latest bios. only company to flash their boards by sending in is Gigabyte, might have to pay a little extra for OCUK to flash z370 to accept 9th gen if it hasn't got the latest bios on it etc

Associate
OP
So if I read you right if I get the very latest Asus Maximus X hero Z370 it’s possible that it may be upgradable to z390 with a bio flash to take the next gen processors?

Associate
OP
oooo a Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 looks sexy with the new i7-9700K to go with it. Plus holding off on gfx card til I see how RTX & GTX are going to work out. Thanks for the heads up on holding off, I knew somehting was coming just getting abit inpatient and wanting to get stuck in there :D

Associate
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/8pac....2ghz-elite-tier-gaming-bundle-bu-010-8p.html
It would be worth going for this its already overclocked and ups what you have by a lot

If you dont want all the extra items then here you go
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...e-socket-lga1151-processor-oem-cp-65c-in.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-6au-as.html
Any of these ram will work
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/memory/ddr4/ddr4-3600-mhz

But I would hold on a while until the new 17 9700k is out and would go for the RTX cards 2080ti if you have the cash

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Wow is this a new bundle cause I pretty much pieced what i listed from what i had read up on over the last +6 months. Good to know my research came up with the same kind aof system even the proper PC builders come up with. Would there be a big difference between this and the new Z390's or very slight but huge price difference atleast in the beginning?

Soldato
oooo a Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 looks sexy with the new i7-9700K to go with it. Plus holding off on gfx card til I see how RTX & GTX are going to work out. Thanks for the heads up on holding off, I knew somehting was coming just getting abit inpatient and wanting to get stuck in there :D

Total: £810.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Same price and a lot more

Even Asus 2700x Strix bundle deal

Associate
Wow is this a new bundle cause I pretty much pieced what i listed from what i had read up on over the last +6 months. Good to know my research came up with the same kind aof system even the proper PC builders come up with. Would there be a big difference between this and the new Z390's or very slight but huge price difference atleast in the beginning?
I have not looked into the new z390 but I am sure its better you could google info on it see what comes up
https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-z390-motherboards,news-59263.html
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13407/intel-z390-motherboard-overview-every-motherboard-analyzed

If you really want something now what I posted above in my other post is better by far than your first post but I would wait a few months it will be worth it and it would be best to call overclockers and tell them what you are after they will build you a good system

Associate
OP
Question. can I just stick an i9 processor in the same mobo? I'm new to PC building again so don't know if processors are different sizes with i7 and i9's

Will the Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 take the i9's too?

Associate
OP
Update to my future build. I will be using my current Asus GFX 970 Strix til the prices of Asus RTX 2080Ti get sensible and go VR aswell.

I know the first thing was recommended is to change the PSU to a different brand, I may also want to up the wattage of it too.

I want this system to be fast & efficient. Hopefully this will be my last shopping list as I'm pretty much ready to buy this puppy.

Anybody heard of the Asus ROG Thor 850W PSU or the FOCUS PLUS 850W 80 PLUS GOLD MODULAR POWER SUPPLY? or any other recommended 850+ PSU?

Total: £2,135.23 (includes shipping: £15.30)

Soldato
Update to my future build. I will be using my current Asus GFX 970 Strix til the prices of Asus RTX 2080Ti get sensible and go VR aswell.

I know the first thing was recommended is to change the PSU to a different brand, I may also want to up the wattage of it too.

I want this system to be fast & efficient. Hopefully this will be my last shopping list as I'm pretty much ready to buy this puppy.

Anybody heard of the Asus ROG Thor 850W PSU or the FOCUS PLUS 850W 80 PLUS GOLD MODULAR POWER SUPPLY? or any other recommended 850+ PSU?

Total: £2,135.23 (includes shipping: £15.30)

That Asus power supply is made by Seasonic and based on the Focus Plus Platinum. That case has a psu shroud so you wouldn't be able to see the display anyway.

This Antec is also a Seasonic made unit based on the Focus and has a 10 year warranty. There is also an Antec rep on the forum (Ace Modder) if you have any issues.

Total: £130.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Back
Top Bottom