Pimax 8k is live

Soldato
I reckon if he lowered SS to say 1.2-1.6 or so, used AA and raised graphics to high/max (detailed grass off), FPS would be higher and it'd look better.

Either way, a compromise could be made.

Associate
I’d like know the FPS running in game graphics on high
https://youtu.be/e7H-vBc1Lzo
This sweviver vid shows FPS in gfx hungry games, but in PC2 for instance he uses low to medium settings to get stable FPS, and says even the 1080ti struggles if he tries to go higher...MRTV did a vid where he maxed everything out to do some still shots through the lenses and he said it was at like 1fps at that level, completely unplayable.

I think the headset is capable, but either the GPU power isn’t there yet, or there are gains to be made in the software. I’m pretty excited now, but still can’t decide which headset to go for.

Last edited:
Associate
PC2 is a tough mother to run even on a Vive. On my 1080, I've got to run on low-to-medium with the cheapest AA, SS at 1.1 and 10 car grid max. Even then, it's reprojecting a lot of the time (although it's not too bothersome on this title fortunately). It still looks damned good.

If SweViver is getting close to 80fps with similar or better settings on his 1080Ti and a full grid of cars, on the Pimax, I'd call that impressive.

I'm back to being undecided between the 5K+ and 8K. MRTV and VoodooDE apparently claim that the latest PiTool didn't improve performance at all which is contrary to what SweViver says. I'm more inclined to believe SweViver since he puts in a crapton more effort into his videos then the other two.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Can't seem to see any info on when these might go into mass production. When are the kickstarter orders getting fulfilled?

Associate
Can't seem to see any info on when these might go into mass production. When are the kickstarter orders getting fulfilled?
The first 100 are supposed to be shipped this week or next I think from the email I received. Then presumably it starts ramping up from there. I wouldn't bet on it being generally available for at least another 2 or 3 months, but could be wrong.

Associate
They did send a graph showing how many units per batch were being made, I’m in 2000’s and hoping I get it before the end of November. Will see if I can dig the info out when I get home difficult to do on the phone

Associate
Is the 8k ever to be able to play native reolution (like the 8K+)? If so it could be a good investment. If it's always going to be stuck with badly upscaled images it's a no brainer and stick with the 5K+

Associate
2x4k at 80fps won’t be possible hardware wise for some time.
That's sort of what I was getting at. It might be worth putting up with some poorly done upscaling techniques now in the hope that in the future it either won't need to upscale and will render at full resolution or at least the upscaling is optimised enough to make it better than it is now.

I'm not a backer but I think as soon as the 5k+ is commercially available I'll take the plunge with it. Hopefully by then people will have had time to check out the longer term build quality and also Pimax might release some more tweaks.

Associate
I'm really struggling with the choice, Sim Racers who've tested both say the 80fps on the 8K makes it better for racing as it's a smoother experience, but the clarity of the 5K+ is pretty "clear" to see...fortunately I have some time as I'm backer # 2xxx. Hopefully will have some more real world feedback by then, the M2 units were only tested by 10 people...

Associate
I'm really struggling with the choice, Sim Racers who've tested both say the 80fps on the 8K makes it better for racing as it's a smoother experience, but the clarity of the 5K+ is pretty "clear" to see...fortunately I have some time as I'm backer # 2xxx. Hopefully will have some more real world feedback by then, the M2 units were only tested by 10 people...

As excited as I am about a major jump in experience for simracing, I'm not sure how much confidence I have in quality control and mass production capabilities of Pimax. The current buzz is mainly from a sample size of 3 people and even then there is a varying range of opinion on quality and issues.

I might just move from a rift to an Odyssey and see how Pimax (hardware revision 2.0/3.0) shake out.

Associate
Shipping starts next week, I’m happy to wait a little while in case of issues...

Our support team has collected responses from #1 - #100 backers. There are 48% 8K and 52% 5K+ in the first batch shipping.

Soldato

I'm sticking with 8K - the blacks and colours are better, SDE is less and they said picking out details in the distance in e.g. onward, sim racing, flight sims was better
the 5K+ has thrown a bit of a curve ball as it is that much better than the 5K, however looking at the closeup shots it looks to me like the 8K is using about 30% more pixels for a particular feature or character, so the SDE is still much less than the 5K and thats my biggest bugbear

Associate
If you plan on getting a 2080ti then i would deffo go for the 5k+ as im sure even if it will not be ale to do 90 fps on max , you could turn down the gfx quality a bit and im sure the gauges etc will still be cleaner / clearer than the 8k.

Associate
I was hoping to sit out 20XX gfx cards...sweviver seems to have got some good settings on both 5k+ and 8k using a 1080ti and got good fps...it's early days on the software side, so I'm hoping there are more gains to be had.

Soldato
I was hoping to sit out 20XX gfx cards...sweviver seems to have got some good settings on both 5k+ and 8k using a 1080ti and got good fps...it's early days on the software side, so I'm hoping there are more gains to be had.

Sit out the 20xx cards. At least until they do some proper in game VR reviews. I honestly think the 7nm cards will be out this time next year and those cards are going to be the ones to get.

Back
Top Bottom