LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Associate
looks like this monitor will be crazy priced, aw3418wd it is then
Yea a bit.

In Sweden the DW goes for around €1100-1200 and the 950G hopefully land on around €1300 so the difference here is not that big.

it "looks" like it but **** knows. the longer we wait for 950g, the less sense it makes. 2019 will be a year for new monitors too, so at what point does it stop making sense to buy 950g? because ACCORDING TO RUMOURS, this will cost 1500 euros. 1.5k for a monitor like that is completely worthless imo. dci p3 is not worth it

the 200hz hdr 21:9 asus one will be 2k. why would anyone buy lg 950g at that point

Associate
it "looks" like it but **** knows. the longer we wait for 950g, the less sense it makes. 2019 will be a year for new monitors too, so at what point does it stop making sense to buy 950g? because ACCORDING TO RUMOURS, this will cost 1500 euros. 1.5k for a monitor like that is completely worthless imo. dci p3 is not worth it

the 200hz hdr 21:9 asus one will be 2k. why would anyone buy lg 950g at that point

The only solid rumour I have seen is here and the rep said "hopefully £1100"(page 37). And some early store prices ranging from €1250 to €1500.

What Ultrawide IPS 1440p@144hz+ is coming 2019?

Last edited:
Associate
Why do you keep lying that FreeSync version have 550 nits peak? There is zero data to confirm that.

Also you clearly don't understand what HDR is. The entire point of HDR is to have the ability to control brightness of different parts of the screen independently, ideally with pixel level accuracy. For LED LCD screen, if you don't have local dimming then it means you have only global control over brightness, so it is physically impossible for such display to have HDR.

Also 5K ultrawide has to have local dimming. Read VESA requirements here:

https://displayhdr.org/performance-criteria/

It clearly states that local dimming has to implemented for HDR600 and HDR1000 for LCD LED displays to be able meet contrast requirements.

TFTCentral says I'm right:

In the 34" ultrawide space there is already a 3440 x 1440 resolution @ 100Hz IPS LM340UW4 panel available and used in some displays. There are plans to produce the LM340UW5 from May 2018 which will offer the same resolution but a boosted 144Hz refresh rate. This will be combined with NVIDIA G-sync and also VESA HDR 400 support. This will then offer a 1900R curvature, 400 cd/m2 brightness (550 cd/m2 peak), 1000:1 contrast ratio and 98% DCI-P3 coverage.

All you've seen is the typical brightness of 400nits, NOT the peak brightness that is the core of HDR. Notice how the 5K ultrawide DisplayHDR600 (34WK95U) monitor only shows 450 nits typical and no peak values (it's 750 nits btw).

Peak luminance is what needs to be either 400, 600 or 1000 nits. Not the typical nits. You seem to confuse this.

And no it doesn't clearly state local dimming has to be implemented. It states that, and I quote:

Based on current LCD panel technology, this requires that local dimming is implemented.

FALD or general local dimming is only needed for the lowest blacks on 600 and 1000 with current LCD tech (not OLED or µLED). We don't know what the new 5K ultrawide panel (LM340RW1) can do. It is DisplayHDR600, but there is no information anywhere, that it has any types of local dimming. Certainly not FALD, so who cares? Panels that dims an entire horizontal line across the entire panel is useless anyways.

You being ignorant does not make me a liar.

Soldato
True.

But what would be the difference from 950G though besides slightly better warranty and support?

None, unless they take the bold move of incorporating the G-Sync 1.4 module, but that would up the cost quite a bit... unless they can work out a good deal with Nvidia their end.

Associate
None, unless they take the bold move of incorporating the G-Sync 1.4 module, but that would up the cost quite a bit... unless they can work out a good deal with Nvidia their end.

Yea. Where did we land on the HDR. Did the new module not require HDR1000? I seem to remember we found a monitor with the new module without HDR. The newer 4K 144Hz monitor if I remember correctly.

So yes the issue would be the price. 24 extra Hz for a added cost of €300(?) from the 950G.

I guess the competition would be good for us consumers anyway.

Associate

The 200 Hz 21:9 Asus is going to be even more expensive than X27 and Asus alternative, which makes it anywhere from 2,5 to 3 times more expensive than 950G. Also it will use AMVA panel so you will end up with around similar abomination to screens like Acer Z35 200Hz one, with tons of ghosting, terrible black uniformity, contrast shift and terrible viewing angles.

It has 21:9, 35", 200 Hz and 512 dimming zones instead of 384 of X27. There is no reason for it to be cheaper. 21:9 screen have always been more expensive, and now you also have significantly more local dimming zones as an another factor that is boosting up the costs vs 4K screen.

LG.Display IPS LM375QW2 37" curved 2300R 144Hz HDR1000 3840x1600 Q1 2019

This is when it enters mass production, UW5 panel was in production since May and we still don't have any display with it available for purchase. Also you can imagine the price will be at least 2 times the one of 950G. Just a basic 37.5" 3840x1600 60 Hz screen, 38WK95C-W, which is using the same panel as 2 year old 38UC99 does, released for 1500 EUR and now is 1200 EUR. Now add 144Hz and HDR1000 on top of that.

950G even now is listed for 1350 EUR, and it is not released yet so the price is going to be lower once more shops list it.

Also display market is not like GPU market, where you can buy something and then have it made obsolete by some new release even a few weeks later. Everything happens very slowly, you can be sure that nothing better is going to release and even if then it will be adequately more expensive. Just look how long it takes for display to drop from price or especially to be replaced with new model.

TFTCentral says I'm right:

All you've seen is the typical brightness of 400nits, NOT the peak brightness that is the core of HDR. Notice how the 5K ultrawide DisplayHDR600 (34WK95U) monitor only shows 450 nits typical and no peak values (it's 750 nits btw).

Peak luminance is what needs to be either 400, 600 or 1000 nits. Not the typical nits. You seem to confuse this.

And no it doesn't clearly state local dimming has to be implemented. It states that, and I quote:

FALD or general local dimming is only needed for the lowest blacks on 600 and 1000 with current LCD tech (not OLED or µLED). We don't know what the new 5K ultrawide panel (LM340RW1) can do. It is DisplayHDR600, but there is no information anywhere, that it has any types of local dimming. Certainly not FALD, so who cares? Panels that dims an entire horizontal line across the entire panel is useless anyways.

You being ignorant does not make me a liar.

Funny how you talk about "the core of HDR" while you completely don't understand what HDR is. Even if FreeSyns verison really has 550 nits peak (show me 950F review showing what, because I don't see any), then it is still meaningless without local dimming because there is no way to apply this peak to the select part of the screen. How do you think it is going to work, if there is 550 nits detail on the screen then the display is going to boost the brightness of the entire screen to 550 nits? HDR is all about applying different brightness levels to different parts of the screen independently, and with LED LCD technology you need local dimming zoes to do that. These zones are not only for dimming but mainly for applying a different level of brightness independent from the rest of the screen. This is the core of HDR, not some brightness, brightness is meaningless if you cannot apply it precisely to the area the source is telling you to.

Associate
32GK850G-B 32" 2560X1440 VA G-SYNC 165HZ GAMING WIDESCREEN MONITOR VS LG 32K850G-B 32" 2560x1440 VA G-Sync 165Hz Gaming Widescreen Monitor

whats the difference??

im told that these monitors were no longer in production, but its back on the site...

Associate
Same monitor. Someone missed the G on the second monitor

cant be, i was told by a purchase manager that this particular model has been discontinued and that it wont be stocked any more, i cant see the web page to compare the difference but if memory serve me right i think the new one has WHQD and the old monitor didnt have this. Also there are other bits of new tech too, and the new version is more expensive.

Soldato
cant be, i was told by a purchase manager that this particular model has been discontinued and that it wont be stocked any more, i cant see the web page to compare the difference but if memory serve me right i think the new one has WHQD and the old monitor didnt have this. Also there are other bits of new tech too, and the new version is more expensive.

You refering to this one?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...65hz-gaming-widescreen-monitor-bg-14o-lg.html

If so the G is missing. Is the same monitor. LG hasn't made any other 32 165hz Gsync VA monitor. WHQD is the resolution 2560x1440.

If you spoke to OCUK and they told you what you wrote above, quote here Gibbo and Daniel LG here.

Back
Top Bottom