• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
Over the next 6-9-12 months when the sales are poor and the negativity around this launch sinks in prices will fall. They have too or they will just be gathering dust and taking up shelf space in warehouses.

Here's another thing regarding RT. The fact only the 2070 and up will support it means that wide adoption of the technology won't happen.

Most PC gamers don't spend £500+ on a GPU. £500 used to be the high end territory. Now it's entry level for RT.

Let alone it's only usable at 1080p with a 2080ti.

It's pretty much DOA.

---

I expect Nvidia will rush the 3000 series our asap as well on a smaller node so that RT can get more feasible at higher resolutions at cheaper prices.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm a long-time PC gamer playing at 1440p, but I just bought a PS4 Pro due to the great selection of games at the moment and to make use of my 4k TV. This has helped me decide on 3 things:

1) I really don't need any siginficant form of AA given how sharp 4k is, so DLSS at 4k becomes redundant (even though it's nice tech).
2) The reflections and lighting achieved in Spider-Man, which takes place in a city full of glass buildings, are fantastic. I spend an hour just looking at them and realised that Ray Tracing would really not improve anything in a meaningful way. Weather those reflections are 'accurate' is irrelevant when swinging by because you won't notice.
3) The PS4 Pro was outputting a new, gorgeous AAA game at 4k (checkerboard sure but lovely still) and I guess somewhere around 50 FPS (very playable, even though I'm into 144 FPS targeting for my 144hz PC monitor). This is all for £350. How can I justify £1,200+ for just a GPU which might get me 40% more performance?

All in all, as a value proposition, it really makes no sense. 4k gaming will always trump any small improvement Ray Tracing brings and makes DLSS less important, and as such the huge mark-up for these features is madness.

Jensen: "Hey guys, you all looking forward to our new 4k 65 inch gaming monitors?"
Crowd: " Yeah!"
Jensen: "Cool cool. Any questions?
Crowd: "Will the new 2080 Ti be a good choice for powering games at that 4k resolution?
Jensen: "Absolutely! These cards were made for 4k and offer the best performance you can get."
Crowd: "And with the 2080 Ti we can then also turn on Ray Tracing to get those amazing lighting and shadows for the ultimate 4k experience?"
Jensen: "Aaaa... am.... any other questions guys?"
Crowd: "Surely you wouldn't sell technology and features which go against one another!?"
Jensen: "Okay thanks for your time today folks it's been..."
Crowd: "But what was the point of us buying one product we can't fully utilise the features of the other? Answer us Jensen!"
Jensen: "Thanks guys! Bye!" *walks off stage*
Crowd: "Oh you absolute ****!"

*** fully star swearwords ***

Not really fair to compare console exclusives, they have multi million pound budgets working with 2 pieces of hardware.

Third party games look / run better on PC and you can a lot more on it outside of gaming.

You also get about 2-3 ps4 exclusives a year that really take advantage of the hardware. I personally feel the exclusives are overrated, all follow a similar formula which I seen so many times over the years, just wrapped up in a new shiny engine with different story and characters.

Ps2 and Ps3 had far better exclusives imo.

Associate
Ray tracing WILL improve things in a meaningful way... one day. But not today or in the months ahead. Proper ray tracing in games is way off.

I fully agree here. Should have been more precise in my wording as you were. Point though is still same; the Ray Tracing offered in the short term is not worth the money being asked today.

You don't need a £1200 GPU to play 4K... a 1080Ti can actually do a decent job.

Again agree with this. The extra price for 2080 Ti (which today is effectively double the price) is largely for those RT & DLSS features which for me I don't think will add enough to my gaming experience, especially at 4k where RT is not possible today and DLSS is less important.

Not really fair to compare console exclusives, they have multi million pound budgets working with 2 pieces of hardware.

Third party games look / run better on PC and you can a lot more on it outside of gaming.

You also get about 2-3 ps4 exclusives a year that really take advantage of the hardware. I personally feel the exclusives are overrated, all follow a similar formula which I seen so many times over the years, just wrapped up in a new shiny engine with different story and characters.

Ps2 and Ps3 had far better exclusives imo.

Thanks for this, some good points here. To be clear though, I am not suggesting console is better or discussing software/exclusives per say, but rather making a point on the value for money that is available here from this technology and how 4k plus current rasterisation can achieve results that diminish the real world benefits of these new NV features. I could have looked at something like BF1 on a 4k PC monitor and 1080 Ti, and then came to same conclusions - I just don't own that tech on the PC.

Associate
According to some news sites, Trump's tariffs with China could push the price of these cards up another $100 - $120.. I wonder if this will impact prices here?

Last edited:
Soldato
I think we all know why the price was bumped, its sad times, and ridiculous pricing, but business is business. OCUK would be throwing away money it seems if they didnt take advantage of it.

Soldato
I'll be interested to see what happens when Pascal stock has all dried up and you can't get one anywhere. If 20xx prices stay the same, sales are surely going to take a dip. I wouldn't be surprised if we see games included or a price drop at that point, something to incentivise, because it's going to remain a hard sell with none of the RTX features to take advantage of. I mean, how long can they KEEP pushing ray tracing when it becomes apparent there are no games to take advatnage of it, and the ones that do can barely muster 60fps @ 1080p (assuming it doesn't get much better than that)? It's going to become a joke... not that it isn't already, but at least there's that "just wait" argument for now... but that won't hold forever! They'll come a point where RTX could really look like a lame duck, certainly in respect to ray tracing anyway.

DLSS holds promise, I am sure of that, but again, it's going to be a while before you can really justify a purchase of a 20xx card for it.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Sounds like Nvidia are struggling to even produce the cards too, due to RAM issues.

Can see me waiting until the next AMD launch just to find a FE Ti in stock.

Associate
1080 Ti in SLI is starting to become more and more attractive. Now I'm not a huge fan of SLI because of scaling issues and particular lack of support with Unreal engines, but for those that do work it's 70%+ additional performance and cheaper. Hard to ignore unless you're super keen to have RT and DLSS capability.

Back
Top Bottom