Z390- ASUS- Gene PCB breakdown

Soldato
Well to be honest, my pie-in-the-sky M-ATX build would only use 1 GPU anyway so it's not really a bother. But the fact I can't get a SFX PSU with dual 8-pin EPS is the big issue, unless I repurpose an unused PCI-E 8-pin :p

SO MANY PLANS, SO MUCH SHINY, so little money :(

Soldato
I saw the photo of the Gene last night and thought what have ASUS done to it? :(

Can't quite get my head around the design/layout and sort of wonder if it's something they tried on the ITX version, but couldn't make it fit.

I'm not sure why you'd want to sacrifice two dimm slots and expansion in a formfactor which generally allows for plenty of storage and expansion. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Soldato
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Nor me.

The twin EPS 8-pin make me think this is intended to be some kind of overclocking beast like the Apex or EVGA Dark, so you don't need 4 DIMM slots and 3/4 PCI-E slots. And that DIMM.2 slot supports that weird double-stacked RAM that Zadak and G.Skill are producing like the Formula boards do. But apart from this you might as well just go ITX.

Seriously weird board, and annoying too because it could have been a Mini DTX board like SFF enthusiasts have been crying out for for AGES.

Soldato
Nor me.

The twin EPS 8-pin make me think this is intended to be some kind of overclocking beast like the Apex or EVGA Dark, so you don't need 4 DIMM slots and 3/4 PCI-E slots. And that DIMM.2 slot supports that weird double-stacked RAM that Zadak and G.Skill are producing like the Formula boards do. But apart from this you might as well just go ITX.

Seriously weird board, and annoying too because it could have been a Mini DTX board like SFF enthusiasts have been crying out for for AGES.

I hadn't heard about the Asus DC DIMM so thanks for that :) just had a read there and while I guess it's nice to have the option of storage or more RAM I can't see it being particularly popular unless more manufacturers make use of it too.

Yep you're 100% right man it would've made a lovely DTX board and I'd definitely buy one if it was that bit smaller. What a waste :(

Associate
Formula arriving from ocuk tomorrow :D

So freaking excited. I feel like I've been without a pc forever. Over a month... but it seems worth the wait over the z370 version.

Back
Top Bottom