PSU life span ?

tnx

tnx

Associate
Been chatting with my son and he's seriously thinking of updating to Z390 when it lands and dropping in a 2080ti.
He recently bought a new case, Corsair 500d RGB, ( I think that was it ).

I have just looked on my old orders and back in November 2013 is when I bought his current PSU, the Corsair RM 750.
So this makes his PSU 5 years old.
To me this sounds it could be coming to its end of life expectancy.

I have had a couple of cheapo PSU's fail on me over the years without any major problems but I have read that if a PSU blows it can take other components with it.
Is this fact or fiction ?

Spending good money on new bits would it be advisable to buy a new PSU to replace a five year old one ?

Soldato
The PSU can kill stuff when it goes, personally I'll run mine for 10 years because that is when the warranty expires, MTBF for the RM 750 (at least for the current model) is 100,000 hours which is just over 11 years. If you are running a 9900k and 2080ti that is at least £2000 in hardware once you've got the motherboard/ram and storage around it so a decent UPS and PSU wouldn't be a miss, the first thing I'd want is the UPS before the upgrade in PSU imo.

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
Thanks for that. I will go tell him it is fact that a PSU could do other damage.

He is constantly on his PC so dropping a new PSU would be more than advisable while upgrading.

Not sure about having to get UPS. Had to google to find out what they are in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom