• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Turing RTX 2080 Owners Thread

Associate
Coil whine is a "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sound in games and especially in menu's :D. I've not had it for years now. I put it down to a combination of components in the past(maybe PSU's not help), rather than just one . I had a few cards in succession with the issue but none now for years.

Could it also sound like an electrical buzzing? That's sort of what my card does. Surprises me since I went for higher end stuff - Asus Z370-E (10 phase VRM) and Corsair HX750i. But I guess I've had cards in the past do it where different cards in same system didn't.

Soldato
I can't believe how hot the back plate gets on these, although I've never tried touching a graphics card while it was running before. Would burn my finger in like three seconds. lol

It’s the same on any card with passive cooling plates so not to worry, I’ve even tested a fan directly at an EK plate and when it was cool to touch instead 0 degrees cooler card components. It’s fine basically, it’s doing it’s job ;)

Associate
Just bought the Trio for 800£. I like the rainbow, but if I had been less of an idiot I would've just gotten the Palit at 728, I'm sure that will just be as good.

Also somehow managed to avoid spending 18£ for the week-end delivery, good thing I'm off on Monday.

Soldato
I'm disappointed tho. I want one (2080), but what's the point when RT only works at 1080p?

It will be working at higher res than that. If you want a 2080 don't let the RT performance put you off. It's only going to be in a handful of games so it shouldn't be a major factor in your decision making.

Associate
Anyone got there's under water yet? Mines about 60c full load but then I also have a 7700k @4.5ghz in the same loop on a single 360mm rad.

Associate
These cards seem ok, yet, why not just get the ''ti'' and be done for a couple of years, Why have second best?. I don't understand the mentality. And don't bring cost into the equation, your already spending £750+.

Soldato
These cards seem ok, yet, why not just get the ''ti'' and be done for a couple of years, Why have second best?. I don't understand the mentality. And don't bring cost into the equation, your already spending £750+.
Availability ? :p. As far as I know nobody has received Ti pre-order FE cards yet and only AIB's appearing in dribs and drabs, and unlikely new FE orders will be taken with delivery before Dec for a decent price (ie £1099)
Could also take it one further. Why buy a Ti when a Titan T(uring) will likely come along in a few months? If you're going to spend £1099, might as well spend another £300+ on that too?.
I think for some the 2080 is an alternative to a 1080 Ti -it's the default option for someone wanting an upgrade with 1080 Ti money to spend, ie, £700+or- but not wanting to buy last gen.

Last edited:
Soldato

:rolleyes:Ti is 2/3rds(£500) extra outlay-if they were in stock, reality is it's £100 off double 1080 cost for one in stock-pp me the difference and I'll go Ti.

Soldato

You'll be worse than second best well within a couple of years though. This whole launch seems rushed to me, like they just had to get these cards out there. Waiting until next year would have seemed more logical, given there are zero games to take advantage of RTX features yet. If they'd bided their time, they could have released alongside several titles next year. So why NOW? I think it might point towards overall strategy and a view to release 7nm/10nm cards next year at some point... it might not be until towards the end of 2019, but still, it feels like they HAD to get the 20xx out now for some reason. At the same time though, they had to know sales would be slow and the 1080Ti stock would have to be cleared out before 20xx could really get a foothold.

So on one hand it almost feels strategic, on the other it's like they're making it up as they go lol! Regardless, the 2080Ti isn't going to be the best for that long, and absolutely nowhere near as long as the 1080Ti held that crown!

I've been deliberating myself between 2080 and 2080Ti... and while the raw power of the Ti is certainly appealing, it IS worse value than the 2080, and there's still huge questions as to whether it's even worth it regards the RTX features. At 4K, if you need an absolute powerhouse and won't settle for less, it's the obvious choice if you can afford it. I do worry within a relatively short period of time though, that its second hand value will plummet as and when new GPUs arrive or are even announced. Overall, I think most people are just better off with a 1080Ti and waiting. They won't be missing much.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rup

Rup

Associate
As a 2080 owner, yes I think the pricing is outrageous! However the Turing die seems huge so I presume it's difficult/expensive to manufacture.
Thus the price is more to do with manufacturing cost rather than downright theft from Nvidia.

Caporegime
As a 2080 owner, yes I think the pricing is outrageous! However the Turing die seems huge so I presume it's difficult/expensive to manufacture.
Thus the price is more to do with manufacturing cost rather than downright theft from Nvidia.

It's pretty much a defective quadro core if what i've read on another forum is correct. So they're still getting a chunk of change back on it.

Back
Top Bottom