• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN DDR4 MEMORY, WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW!

Permabanned
I'm using F4-3200C14D-16GTZ on C7H with 2700X. Upto 3400MHz was far easier than with several gen 1 CPUs I used on C6H. I believe the gen 2 IMC is more forgiving. Currently use 3466MHz C15 1T, crazy low SOC when compared to gen 1 for similar tests.

I've had the opposite experience.
I was using 3200mhz 14-14-14-31 memory with my 1600x, It was a plug in & play situation, I didn't have a single memory related issue.
I dropped a 2700x into the same PC & I'm having to run my memory at 3000mhz.
It crashes if I game at 3200mhz.

It's not really a big deal as I only game/mod & browse with my PC but it does feel like one step forward and one step back compared to my 1600x.

Soldato
I've had the opposite experience.
I was using 3200mhz 14-14-14-31 memory with my 1600x, It was a plug in & play situation, I didn't have a single memory related issue.
I dropped a 2700x into the same PC & I'm having to run my memory at 3000mhz.
It crashes if I game at 3200mhz.

It's not really a big deal as I only game/mod & browse with my PC but it does feel like one step forward and one step back compared to my 1600x.

If you are running a CH6, it could be a bios issue.
Last night i flashed to 6101 bios and my B-die won't run any faster than 3200. With the 6004 bios the same ram runs stable at 3400 14-14-14. Needless to say have now flashed back to 6004 and everything is fine.

Permabanned
If you are running a CH6, it could be a bios issue.
Last night i flashed to 6101 bios and my B-die won't run any faster than 3200. With the 6004 bios the same ram runs stable at 3400 14-14-14. Needless to say have now flashed back to 6004 and everything is fine.

I'm running a cheap Asus Prime B350 M-ATX motherboard at the moment, It was fine running 3200mhz with the 1600x but not with the 2700x, There's been 2 bio's updates since the 2000 series released so I'm hoping a third turns up that fixes it but if it doesn't I'm going to grab a made for the 2000 series 490 board later in the year.

Associate
What programs do you guys use to establish RAM stability? At the moment im using memtest86 from a usb stick and prime95 but I leave prime95 on default.... is there more optimum options?

Permabanned
What programs do you guys use to establish RAM stability? At the moment im using memtest86 from a usb stick and prime95 but I leave prime95 on default.... is there more optimum options?

Yeah this is the one people are flocking to at the moment, its 9 euros but well worth it if you are tweaking a lot/trying to get memory stable, much much quicker than HCI Memtest.

https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/

Soldato
Yeah this is the one people are flocking to at the moment, its 9 euros but well worth it if you are tweaking a lot/trying to get memory stable, much much quicker than HCI Memtest.

https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/

After having used HCI and Memtest from the bios for years, Ramtest is like a breath of fresh air. Been using it for the last couple of months, very fast, very accurate and it does it all from the app start button.
It's a 64 bit app, so can address all the ram you have straight from launch. As for speed, i have 32Gb of ram and it will be at a 1000% in under 35mins. The shear speed means you can make very small changes to ram settings and have a good result in under an hour, no need to run overnight only to find an error in the morning. Worth every cent of the 9 Euro asking price.

Permabanned
After having used HCI and Memtest from the bios for years, Ramtest is like a breath of fresh air. Been using it for the last couple of months, very fast, very accurate and it does it all from the app start button.
It's a 64 bit app, so can address all the ram you have straight from launch. As for speed, i have 32Gb of ram and it will be at a 1000% in under 35mins. The shear speed means you can make very small changes to ram settings and have a good result in under an hour, no need to run overnight only to find an error in the morning. Worth every cent of the 9 Euro asking price.

Yup agreed, save me hours already. :)

Associate
Hey Folks, I just want to confirm something here, because I am new (to this site and PC building in general), is the Team Vulcan 3000MHZ 2x8gb compatible with a Ryzen 2400g and an MSI X370 Gaming plus motherboard at the 3000mhz rated speed? I tried to read the QFL on all of these, but it's like reading the rosetta stone drunk...

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

Associate
I have used the same memory on a 2200G with gigabyte AB350m 3 gaming motherboard and it worked perfectly. Unsure if its on the QVL itself though. 2200G/2400G are less finicky about memory than 1st gen were before the bios updates.

Soldato
Idiot question, do i HAVE to get 3000mhz plus ram to get an r5 2600 to run at full speed? (Building a machine for my cousin and the budget is a bit tight)

edit, okay, ocuk don't seem to sell any slower ram anyway and it doesn't seem to be any cheaper at other places. Solves that one!)

Soldato
Idiot question, do i HAVE to get 3000mhz plus ram to get an r5 2600 to run at full speed? (Building a machine for my cousin and the budget is a bit tight)

My Ryzen 5 2600 DOES run at full speed and I have 2133 RAM. Compare my 3D Mark CPU score with other similar systems with faster RAM and you'll see the CPU score isn't affected by RAM speed. Here's my 3D Mark score https://www.3dmark.com/spy/4438849

Mine isn't overclocked either just boosts to the default 3.9ghz.

Associate
Faster RAM means faster access times, it doesn't make the CPU itself perform any better. Faster RAM will show up in RAM benchmarks but it won't make any difference to CPU benchmarks.

I just fact checked my previous post.

The speed of the infinity fabric within the cpu is tied to the speed of the ram.

I make no claims about how this affects performance. But faster ram does = a faster infinity fabric.

This is the case with ryzen cpus.

Back
Top Bottom