Spec me smart thermostat

Soldato
I have Hive. I went for it because where I wanted the thermostat had no hard wired electrics (Hive uses batteries - first set going on 3 years now) and so no Nest for me.

It works great, set the desired temperature at different points during the days and then just leave it. You can boost if it suddenly gets really cold and the app/alexa work fine. I even have two hive bulbs in the living room which work with Alexa as well - so walk into the living room and say "Flame on" and my ceiling light turns on :)

Soldato
Was it worth all the layout of buying all the gear? Would you say the gas bill has reduced?

Yes definitely, for us it's saved a lot but we're comparing to an old 80s boiler with no trvs.
Opentherm definitely works, for instance the heating is on now and the radiators are barely warm but that's enough to keep the rooms warm.
In winter it will start at 70c on the boiler but quickly turn down to 25c or so on its own and keep the boiler going constantly rather than on and off. It makes for very accurate room temps as well, they will very quickly get to their set points but never overshoot as evohome has learnt each rooms profile.

With Alexa I can say "Alexa master bed 20" and it will set the room to 20c. Same for any room in the house.
Instead of Geofencing we prefer an Alexa routine "Alexa going out" switches all hue bulbs off and puts the heating into economy which drops all rooms by 3c.
"Alexa I'm home" returns the heating to full on.

I really like evohome customisation I couldn't find another system that offered as much.

Soldato
How come you changed?

I’m tempted by nest over Hive but from what I can tell nest works exclusively with Alexa where as hive works with google home or Alexa.

I've got an air source heat pump now. You can use nest but Mitsubishis own controls offer more functions. If I was on a boiler is still be using it

Drayton Wiser here, been working great for almost a year, having individual room control is a must, i fail to see any real added value otherwise.

hey @Firestar_3x how do you rate it, I am seriously considering this

Our lounge is the coldest room in the house, so I wanted to buy the 2 channel (will do hot water as well), and use the thermostat in the lounge. Every rad has existing thermostatic valves but the stat sensor is in the hall, which as its in the middle of the house seems to be a bad location if its cold outside. The lounge is the worst as 2 windows, patio door plus worst side of the house. I can then at a later date change the rad stats as well, although the house is very efficient so I dont mind heating it all. This is what makes the lounge more annoying as because the house in general is so good the lounge being worst doesnt get enough opportunity to heat properly.

Also I think it will work with Alexa?

Did you self install? Was it quick/easy?

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Yes definitely, for us it's saved a lot but we're comparing to an old 80s boiler with no trvs.
Opentherm definitely works, for instance the heating is on now and the radiators are barely warm but that's enough to keep the rooms warm.
In winter it will start at 70c on the boiler but quickly turn down to 25c or so on its own and keep the boiler going constantly rather than on and off. It makes for very accurate room temps as well, they will very quickly get to their set points but never overshoot as evohome has learnt each rooms profile.

With Alexa I can say "Alexa master bed 20" and it will set the room to 20c. Same for any room in the house.
Instead of Geofencing we prefer an Alexa routine "Alexa going out" switches all hue bulbs off and puts the heating into economy which drops all rooms by 3c.
"Alexa I'm home" returns the heating to full on.

I really like evohome customisation I couldn't find another system that offered as much.

Rob, could you run me through your setup? I'm planning Evohome in our build but the Honeywell planner has been down on their website for a while now? I have no heating in place so will be all new plus underfloor.

Caporegime
hey @Firestar_3x how do you rate it, I am seriously considering this

Our lounge is the coldest room in the house, so I wanted to buy the 2 channel (will do hot water as well), and use the thermostat in the lounge. Every rad has existing thermostatic valves but the stat sensor is in the hall, which as its in the middle of the house seems to be a bad location if its cold outside. The lounge is the worst as 2 windows, patio door plus worst side of the house. I can then at a later date change the rad stats as well, although the house is very efficient so I dont mind heating it all. This is what makes the lounge more annoying as because the house in general is so good the lounge being worst doesnt get enough opportunity to heat properly.

Also I think it will work with Alexa?

Did you self install? Was it quick/easy?

Wiser is a good step between Nest and Evohome.

- App is OK/Good and recently updated, easy to switch rooms / water on and off, schedule setup is a slight pain but workable.

- Adding room stats is an easy setup process, battery's it came with lasted about 8 months, signal range can be an issue, you can boost this by buying a wiser plug.

- I have the two channel system with a colour room stat display, hot water control works well though no dedicated tank temp sensor so the existing wired in sensor deals with the temp sensing and cuttoff.

- Colour room stat display is easy to use, you can boost the heating in that room for x number of hours, you get temp and humidity display, disappointing you can't get it to display other room temperatures / control the system fully though this.

- Install was easy, if you have an existing non smart boiler time programmer (digital one) then for me this new box simply snapped onto the existing backplate, otherwise it is a wiring job.

Happy with the system, having individual room control is a must imho, not tested with Alexa yet but will do in the near future.

Hitman
Soldato
We have a new build with two heating zones and I swapped all of our bits out for Tado. It's been fantastic and flawless since installing.

I wrote up a small guide on what we had before and what each bit was replaced with: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/tado-mini-review.18592018/page-10#post-30587898

Stupidly easy to install. I do have it linked up to Alexa but I don't think we've ever used it - we just use the app on our phones!

Soldato
Rob, could you run me through your setup? I'm planning Evohome in our build but the Honeywell planner has been down on their website for a while now? I have no heating in place so will be all new plus underfloor.

I have the following.

Evohome Controller, this acts as my thermostat in the livingroom as well.
Opentherm relay.
6 x TRVs.

I have two radiators in the livingroom, both controlled by the evohome controller instead of the TRVs. You can pick how you want them controlled, you can have them both individual so they will both maintain a temp say 20c. Or you can have one source for the temp which i use the evohome controller, but you can use either TRV also, you can also use individual thermostats and position them where you like.

Its incredibly easy to fit and setup, login then add each device. Then configure the devices and name them. Set a schedule and you have the option of optimising this after a while learns your rooms and will turn on a radiator early so that the temp is achieved by your set time. It will also turn the radiator off early if it learns that the room will hold the heat for a period of time.

The hardest thing with a system like this is getting the whole thing to play nice. I had issues with the boiler locking out.
Turned out it was when all radiators closed down but the boiler was still pumping, the auto-bypass did its job but my boiler didn't like the return temperature being the same as the flow, to fix my issue i had a few options, i went with the easiest and took a TRV of the hall radiator and left it permanently on a small amount so as to reduce the return temp.
Other option was to move the auto-bypass further away from the boiler.

The third option would have allowed me to maintain full control but also have a bypass radiator but would involve routing the auto-bypass through the hall radiator after the TRV on that radiator.

Wiser is a good step between Nest and Evohome.

- App is OK/Good and recently updated, easy to switch rooms / water on and off, schedule setup is a slight pain but workable.

- Adding room stats is an easy setup process, battery's it came with lasted about 8 months, signal range can be an issue, you can boost this by buying a wiser plug.

- I have the two channel system with a colour room stat display, hot water control works well though no dedicated tank temp sensor so the existing wired in sensor deals with the temp sensing and cuttoff.

- Colour room stat display is easy to use, you can boost the heating in that room for x number of hours, you get temp and humidity display, disappointing you can't get it to display other room temperatures / control the system fully though this.

- Install was easy, if you have an existing non smart boiler time programmer (digital one) then for me this new box simply snapped onto the existing backplate, otherwise it is a wiring job.

Happy with the system, having individual room control is a must imho, not tested with Alexa yet but will do in the near future.

Thanks, really appreciated

I think mine is likely to be an easy upgrade as well as I do have a relatively recent controller (about 11 years old) and i think it has the standardised backplate

As I already have TRVs on all rads and as the other half wont close doors trying to micro manage room temps is nigh on pointless lol, although I wouldn't rule it out in the future

My heating is actually on all the time, its the default on our controller, think its the recent view that if the house is well insulated its easier to achieve a more consistent temp by not letting it get too cold
Its really cheap to run so I would probably replicate anyway, just maybe drop the nigh temp 4 degrees or so

Cheers, think I may well buy it this weekend and give it a crack

Soldato
I also went for Evohome. Been flawless since install and offers all the flexibility you could need. Love the granularity of the control per room, plus the app and controller are fantastic.

As it stands, we have the Evohome controller and relay, hot water kit, 8 TRVs and the stand alone thermostat (This is placed in the kitchen where the radiator will not take a TRV without a rework).

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I have the following.

Evohome Controller, this acts as my thermostat in the livingroom as well.
Opentherm relay.
6 x TRVs.

I have two radiators in the livingroom, both controlled by the evohome controller instead of the TRVs. You can pick how you want them controlled, you can have them both individual so they will both maintain a temp say 20c. Or you can have one source for the temp which i use the evohome controller, but you can use either TRV also, you can also use individual thermostats and position them where you like.

Its incredibly easy to fit and setup, login then add each device. Then configure the devices and name them. Set a schedule and you have the option of optimising this after a while learns your rooms and will turn on a radiator early so that the temp is achieved by your set time. It will also turn the radiator off early if it learns that the room will hold the heat for a period of time.

The hardest thing with a system like this is getting the whole thing to play nice. I had issues with the boiler locking out.
Turned out it was when all radiators closed down but the boiler was still pumping, the auto-bypass did its job but my boiler didn't like the return temperature being the same as the flow, to fix my issue i had a few options, i went with the easiest and took a TRV of the hall radiator and left it permanently on a small amount so as to reduce the return temp.
Other option was to move the auto-bypass further away from the boiler.

The third option would have allowed me to maintain full control but also have a bypass radiator but would involve routing the auto-bypass through the hall radiator after the TRV on that radiator.

Cheers Rob, my understanding of how it works is that I'll need the underfloor kit to control the 4 zones downstairs, 3 wireless thermostats for 3 zones and the wifi controller mounted in the hall will act as the thermostat for the 4th zone, upstairs I'm planning on having TRV's on the bedroom radiators and hallway/landing, am I correct in saying these then act as the thermostat for that room and no need for an additional thermostat? I'll also be adding the hot water and opentherm relays. I plan on having traditional TRV's in the bathroom/ensuite/airing cupboard to act as bypass.

Just ordered the wiser 2 channel for delivery tomorrow
Luckily I checked the manufaacturers site which said RRP £149.99, odd I thought as screwfix is like £180. Got it from a link on the manufacturers site for £128, seems worth it.

I probably wouldn't benefit from the fine control the individual rads would provide as the other half hates doors being open, so the heat moves around anyway.
Fingers crossed its a straight clip onto the back plate, a similar model from our heating controller I found was, so I assume mine will be also.

https://www.priorityplumbing.co.uk/search?text=wiser

Associate
Was set on Tado for my new house but now they are charging a subscription I shall be looking elsewhere. Probably Drayton although I have two concerns - signal strength between TRVs and the noise the TRVs make when they come on. Still seems like the best offering at the moment though.

Soldato
I bought hive heating and water yesterday for £85, really couldn't compete with the nest which was over double.

Screwfix live have them for £85 if anyone is near Farnborough pop down today or tomorrow... Free entry and you get a goody bag too

Associate
I'm making my own. Raspberry PI hub. ESP8266 sensors and boiler relay. Still trying to source the wireless radiator valves. Still not got it actually wired to the boiler as currently rent, buying a house next year, project should be ready for then. Programming hierarchical schedules will be fun.

Doesn't need to be online. I own the IP. The components are cheap and if I don't like something about it I can change it.

However I am a software engineer with electronic engineering as a hobby.

Caporegime
I used to have a Tado that got swapped for a Worcester Wave when we changed to a Worcester Bosch heating system.

The Tado was brilliant and the Wave is awful. However if Tado is subscription now then **** that.

Back
Top Bottom