Time to replace my Corsair HX750?

Soldato
Bought the Corsair HX750 4 Oct 2010. Obviously my system was no where near as power hungry as now (see signature below). Plus many fans, SSDS's and both CPU and GPU OC'd (extra voltage).

I've input my details into Seasonics Power calculator and it comes back with a value of 737w and recommends a 850w PSU. Just wonder if it's maybe time to upgrade?

Not had any problem yet but I suppose the Corsair (which I think is really a Seasonic in Corsair livery) doesn't owe me anything I suppose!

Thoughts anyone?

Was looking at this:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...-platinum-modular-power-supply-ca-05w-ss.html

Is Seasonic still the way to go these days?

Soldato
Putting aside how good the Seasonic PSU is you should find that the very max your PC should draw in total from the mains is around 450w.
With my spec , not too dissimilar from yours, the max that I have ever seen is around 420w and that was with benchmarking the GPU and loading the CPU.
Typical use is around 300 Watts in gaming.

Unless anyone knows better I would suggest that your PSU is more than fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah you will be more then fine as mentioned. At full whack with my 8700k and 1080ti all under water and heavily overclocked will rarely use more then 450-500 watts in total with both parts getting hammered by synthetic tests. In typical use such as gaming as not both parts are rarely at there max at once (usually a cpu thread or two) you will use less that that even overclocked, about 400w on the high side. Your PSU is fine and if anything your sitting in the efficiency sweet spot under load.

I normall find calculators overzealous for most the part, only time I have seen it underestimate things is with heavily i9 / X299 cpus which pull stupid amount of power overclocked.

Soldato
OP
Now I wonder what odds Ladbrokes would have given for this to happen now?

Was benchmarking my new GPU last night (was pushing both this and the CPU pretty hard) and there was a pop and a smell of burning. And guess what, the PSU has let go! Removed it and there is a definite burning smell coming from it.
I've tried an old TAGAN PSU that I have (stopped using it because it developed terrible coil whine / buzz) and it looks like the Corsair PSU did not take any other component with it (system works fine). So this will do temporarily.

I've investigated the warranty issue and it looks like it can be returned (at my expense). But any replacement will only have either the length left of the original warranty (in this case 2 years) or 30 days.

So in the mean time, I think that I shall buy a new PSU and look at either keeping the RMA as a spare, or if it's a new replacement PSU, selling it on.

So..... is Seasonic the way to go (see above), or is there anything else worth considering at around the £140 price tag (EG. Superflower, EVGA..)?

Man of Honour
Get the Seasonic. The Focus Plus series are excellent psu's and their aggressive pricing, quality and performance has made them one of the most recommended psu's on here.

You will most likely get a brand new warranty replacement Corsair and it could very well be the newer Platinum rated HX750 so if you can wait it will be worth using that rather than buying the Seasonic. Corsair has a pretty quick turnaround plus you can also do a advance RMA.

Soldato
OP
Get the Seasonic. The Focus Plus series are excellent psu's and their aggressive pricing, quality and performance has made them one of the most recommended psu's on here.

You will most likely get a brand new warranty replacement Corsair and it could very well be the newer Platinum rated HX750 so if you can wait it will be worth using that rather than buying the Seasonic. Corsair has a pretty quick turnaround plus you can also do a advance RMA.

Thanks.

Have to have a little think about this.

A few options here me thinks.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/supe...us-platinum-power-supply-black-ca-039-sf.html also looks pretty decent and appears to get good reviews.

Man of Honour
Grab a socket watt meter with a pass through to check the actual draw from the wall before you decide to change it. IMO, if a PSU is working and well within it's capacity, then don't change it.

Soldato
SuperFlower has disappointingly short five year warranty...
For more expensive PSU than ones with 10 year warranty!
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...-platinum-modular-power-supply-ca-05w-ss.html

Warranty length sure isn't ultimate endurance guarantee, especially for single sample.
But it surely reflects confidence manufacturer has for quality of their product.
(because too long warranty for quality could cause heavy costs from skyrocketing percentage of returned PSUs)

Anyway your PC should have about 500W absolute maximum power draw.
And gaming draw around 400W.
So 750W would be enough.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't touch the Superflower purely because of the short warranty. They were ahead at one point and were probably the most recommended brand on here for a while. Then EVGA came along using Superflower Leadex internals (G2 is Leadex platform, G3 is Leadex II platform) and offering double the warranty and took over from Superflower with recommendations. Seasonic then came along with the aggressively priced Focus Plus series in a very compact size with 10 year warranties and now they are probably the most recommended on here. The Seasonic would be my choice.

Soldato
OP
Thought I'd just post an update.

Got a replacement for the failed Corsair PSU. But unluckily it has slight coil whine (definitely the PSU), just about noticeable to annoy me. Could not be bothered to send it back. So decided in the end to just keep it as a spare and purchased a Seasonic Prime 850w Titanium. Slight overkill I suppose, but it appears to get very good reviews and the 12 year warranty is certainly impressive. Plus I got it for a VERY good price. Added bonus is no coil whine. Only -ve comment I could make, is some of the leads are a bit on the short side. Just about OK in a mid tower (like I have) but you would struggle in a full size tower (you would certainly need extensions I suspect).

Back
Top Bottom