Dirt inside lens rear element - Fixable or new lens time?

Associate
My Sigma 70-300 APO DG has got quite a lot of dirt on the inside of the rear element. It probably goes some way to explain which the quality of it is pretty poor (although I know this is a budget lens anyway). If I shine a torch from the front it's very visible.

N6NywmX.jpg.png

Does anyone have any idea if this is fixable or is it time to replace it? Obviously I not going to try and take it apart myself and the lens is about 8 years old so out of warranty.

Soldato
Depending on the cost of the lens it might be worth checking how much to get it cleaned, expect it to be at least £50, so given that you might be think about getting a replacement.

Caporegime
You can get that cleaned, but I would think the cost would make it prohibitive. The lens is just not very good on new sensors.

Associate
OP
You can get that cleaned, but I would think the cost would make it prohibitive. The lens is just not very good on new sensors.

I have found it to be very soft and the focus not too reliable (even in live view) on my 70D. I had originally put it down to the dirt. I’m thinking of maybe splashing out on the Tamron 100-400 to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom