Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Soldato
why wouldn't they keep her? they only screwed up one film out of 4, (it still made 1.3 billion dollars?) they already made like $4.5 million dollars in total since mickey mouse bought it?
i blame Johnson more than anyone else for tlj anyway

the only people saying she was getting fired etc were clickbait youtubers and internet derps who love moaning about SJW nonsense

im not saying they are doing everything i like, and there are lots of ways they could have done things better - and i hope they learn lessons from TLJ and how they stuffed it up so badly - but just get on with making some good star wars stuffs

any producer will "stick their nose in" into the films they produce - why wouldn't they?

Soldato
I'd argue the Star Wars brand is at the lowest it's been in a while. Solo was a decent enough film but was a commercial flop, the toys aren't selling, the older fans are becoming disinterested with many not even caring how this saga ends and we may have a trilogy of films from the guy who's single-handedly destroyed this entire saga. In my opinion there's only been one great Star Wars film from Disney in Rouge One. TFA is enjoyable but recycles far too much from ANH and has a dull main character, TLJ is flat out awful and Solo as a mentioned was a decent enough film but not what I'd consider great.

Soldato
TFA was a good restart and set up some interesting directions, Shame TLJ blew it really

R1 was exactly the sort of thing I want to see
Solo was good enough for a filler film that the standalone ones are supposed to be, I think TLJ hurt it and the yearly pacing suits the releases better

I'm hopeful now that they have some time to reflect and that they can get things moving in the right direction again

Soldato
If every company fired the manager because of a bad film it would be like the Premier League :)

It's not just the singular action of hiring a Director who created a massive friction in the fan-base with TLJ, a friction which mainly led to Solo being a financial flop (despite being an OK film). It's also her actions surround the production of Solo and her actions in allowing Lucasfilm employee's to insult fans via social media etc. I mean the prequels were a hot mess with enraged fans calling for boycotts etc yet George Lucas never allowed his staff to insult fans via news articles back then, no matter how vitriolic the fans got, because GL had a firm grasp of the company and showed leadership in the face of fan unhappiness. Plus he knew that ignoring the "trolls" was the best response in that situation rather than allowing his staff to sink to the "trolls" level, which is what's happened since he's left.

So it's not a singular event but a series of several leadership "failures" from Kennedy which have allowed the Star Wars franchise to drop to it's lowest point ever.

However, she has been the producer on some absolutely fantastic films outside of Star Wars (Jurassic Park, Sixth Sense, Schindlers List etc) so it's not like she's bad at her job as a producer, she's just struggling as the President of a Company where she's finding out that the "buck stops here" when you're the boss.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Not sure if its been said before but its obvious that Rian had full creative control over the the Last Jedi but i didnt know he had totally dismissed the script written out by JJ for TLJ. So not sure what the plan was in how to fit the movies together if Rian didnt really give a hoot about any of the plot points before. This cert was quite humorous.

Man of Honour
Not sure if its been said before but its obvious that Rian had full creative control over the the Last Jedi but i didnt know he had totally dismissed the script written out by JJ for TLJ. So not sure what the plan was in how to fit the movies together if Rian didnt really give a hoot about any of the plot points before. This cert was quite humorous.

Thing is no matter how many good or bad points anyone points out in the movie or tries to find some interpretation in it, etc. at the end of the day the movie lost a large percentage of its audience no matter how good or bad as a movie it was and if they continue with Rian down this vein they are simply idiots with a lack of critical thinking nothing more or less.

Associate
Here's the thing.

Never in a long time, would I have thought that a Pokemon (Detective Pikachu), Captain Marvel er, I mean - Shazam, and Aquaman movie, would get me MORE excited to hit the cinema than the next Star Wars movie. But hey, here we are. Pika Pika! ;)

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Thing is no matter how many good or bad points anyone points out in the movie or tries to find some interpretation in it, etc. at the end of the day the movie lost a large percentage of its audience no matter how good or bad as a movie it was and if they continue with Rian down this vein they are simply idiots with a lack of critical thinking nothing more or less.

Yes and it's now damage control. I wouldn't consider myself a super fan but what Rian did was a travesty to the franchise with zero consideration of what he was doing. Ultimately he is responsible for a lot of creative blunders but how on earth did producers and even Disney to a large degree allow it? For such a huge franchise did no one give any input of what was being done and how much harm was inflicted?

Yes and it's now damage control. I wouldn't consider myself a super fan but what Rian did was a travesty to the franchise with zero consideration of what he was doing. Ultimately he is responsible for a lot of creative blunders but how on earth did producers and even Disney to a large degree allow it? For such a huge franchise did no one give any input of what was being done and how much harm was inflicted?

...and they are STILL saying he will get his own Trilogy, i mean good god, its like May standing by Brexit when she knows its a suicide run.

We bitched and moaned at Lucas for the prequels but now we have this car crash, i'd forgive anything he did if he came back!

Soldato
I think the star wars franchise is currently at its lowest ever point.

I can honestly see the next one bombing and it dying a death unless something radical is done.

Disney just seem to have no clue as to what constitutes a proper star wars film and they don't even seem to care.

Well maybe they will take note when the money stops rolling in.....

Soldato
I told you all after TFA to walk away I could see it was a completely toxic sinking ship.

Being a Star Wars fan is no longer cool, not even in a nerd way. Only young children and the mentally infirm are still on board with it.

So I say again walk away...for your own integrity, walk away.

There are only 3 Star Wars films, Harmy's despecialized version forever....

Soldato
Being a Star Wars fan is no longer cool, not even in a nerd way. Only young children and the mentally infirm are still on board with it.

Young children as in the target audience for a fantasy space film?

It certainly has become "cool" to hate on the franchise and new movies as hard as possible

(For the record, I feel like the new movies have made some mistakes but my life isn't defined by Star Wars to the extent that I have to go to war on the internet over it)

Soldato
not as "cool" as throwing that excuse out as a riposte, ignoring/failing to understand that some fans have loved things for years and the current iteration ****s all over their beloved.

I'm one of those fans though... have loved the movies since I first saw the OT on VHS at my grandparents house as a kid, have watched them hundreds of times... so I understand being disappointed when something doesn't quite live up to expectations, but as usual these days everything is a big internet or social media competition to be the most outraged person in the room...

And it isn't an excuse, it has become "cool" to hate on it. The topic of Solo came up the other day while I was chatting to a friend I play games with... his immediate reaction was "Ah that complete trash they've just ruined the whole franchise blah blah"... I said I thought Solo was alright apart from a few irritating things and asked him what he didn't like about it... "I haven't seen it" was the response...

Still think it is weird that the 2 spin-off films were noticably better than the 2 main ones.

Rogue One was really well done, Solo not so much but it was fun even with the forced fan service, TFA and TLJ are just.....ugh.

Well to be fair Abrams does what he does best, sets up a bunch of questions then ***** off to produce something else, i just never expected Johnson to hate SW so much, he literally eviscerated iconic characters with nonsensical writing...

Rogue One was really well done, Solo not so much but it was fun even with the forced fan service, TFA and TLJ are just.....ugh.

Well to be fair Abrams does what he does best, sets up a bunch of questions then ***** off to produce something else, i just never expected Johnson to hate SW so much, he literally eviscerated iconic characters with nonsensical writing...

EDIT: Oh and Abrams is producing a Half Life series i **** you not, im sure it will be Cloverfield with a gravity gun.

Back
Top Bottom