What is this bdrom drive?

Soldato
A friend dumped a partially disassembled xbone with me asking for help, and the optical drive he's trying to replace his dead one with has no ports. Anywhere. So I opened it up to have a look, and it looks like the orange ribbon cable should go to a sata port... I think.

Basically it looks like he picked up some white label drive which is missing loads of stuff. Or can this go into his xbone?

M3hPhH4h.jpg

Soldato
OP
The ribbon cables likely connect direct to the motherboard - there are no sata ports on console Blu-ray drives.

(I've only done a ps4 but imagine an Xbox is similar)

So I found a little pcb in a tupperware container in the bag of bits he gave me, and the picture becomes clearer. The tricky bit is how to get that little disc motor belt on without breaking the solder to the pcb. Or else probably easier to solder on the new motor onto the old pcb

So it looks like he got the right drive, but it didn't come with the pcb that has the sata and proprietary power connector on it. And frankly that looks like a lot of hassle

oMoWMG5h.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Some console drives are linked or keyed to the console and won't work without this 'pairing'. Not sure if newer drives are like this but it's certainly been an issue on older consoles.

Soldato
Do some more research you may find you need to flash a specific firmware to pair the 2 together otherwise MS will detect as modified & ban the console which will be hard to over come.

Soldato
Afaik you have to use the pcb from the old drive as its paired to the motherboard, thats why the replacement doesnt have one.

Have a browse on this channel might get some tips -

Back
Top Bottom