Google Groups woe

Associate
Im a bit stuck.

I have my own site running google, and it’s setup as private, so only appointed members can log in/tweak things.

That all works fine.

I have now created a google group, and added a selection of external emails - basically creating an email group under the site control.

Everyone was added using direct add, with all email delivery/email posting only.

All email addresses got an email saying they’ve been added to a group, how to remove themselves, and a link to log into the group online. I have the web group switched off, but couldn’t remove the link on the google email.

So all is fine - most users can send/receive messages from [email protected] without doing anything else, but the odd couple have some issues.

Other than the first “you have been added to a group” email, they get squat.

I have tried deleting their email, and changing their delivery from no email to all email.

The sites default policy is non at all, but everyone else’s is working.

Any ideas?

Soldato
If they have been added with the same process as those that aren't having issues this would indicate it may be something their end that is causing the problems. They may need to check their personal settings so what if there is anything in there that stops them getting updates.

Associate
OP
If they have been added with the same process as those that aren't having issues this would indicate it may be something their end that is causing the problems. They may need to check their personal settings so what if there is anything in there that stops them getting updates.
This was my thought as well, after setting up a new email on their server and adding that.

Found the cause, and quite funny really - they had a rule to auto archive emails with a set word in the sender name, rather than specific full email addresses, so they found it archived with a bunch of other emails!

Associate
OP
A new issue.

Live emails can no longer mail the list, but can receive.

They get an spf error. Suspect google doesn’t recognise live emails as from outlook servers anymore. Any thoughts how to fix.

I don’t want to switch the spf filter off, as when working is good!

Soldato
Surely this would just be a case of you adding the live emails/IP's to the SPF filter?

It's not something I've touched on but I'd be surprised if they are static in design without the ability for users to tweak.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I just dont understand why its worked for weeks, and now not for some Live emails, that get an spf error back from mx.google.com

Its almost like outlook checks the live sender, and then google I think is retesting the outlook server IP again.

Its not clear in the google forums how to switch spf off, that would be the simplest solution, as agree adding an IP to a server, is likely to change, unless I can have ...outlook.com added instead, so all outlook emails are ok.

***edit**
I now have two ideas. I still think it’s the spam filter, not picking up that it’s valid for a live email to be sent from an outlook email server. There is a spam filter for google groups that is set to reject all, it’s not clear spf/DKIM checks are included, but it’s currently set to automatically ignore all. I will set it to moderate them, so messages have to be approved. If that works, I will switch it off.

The sender email match should still work.

If not I will then look to modify the DKIM record on our server. Will post back in a couple days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom