Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
It’s so depressing looking at other options and going from 250Mb to 50Mb

People say that, but in reality a 20Mbit stream is just as quick on a 38Mbit line as it is on 350Mbit, it’s only if you are doing multiple simultaneous streams/downloads or sit waiting for something to download on steam etc. that you’ll really notice. Given that the majority of consumers (though possibly the minority on here) don’t actually do that regularly, it’s less significant than the numbers would suggest at face value.

Caporegime
People say that, but in reality a 20Mbit stream is just as quick on a 38Mbit line as it is on 350Mbit, it’s only if you are doing multiple simultaneous streams/downloads or sit waiting for something to download on steam etc. that you’ll really notice. Given that the majority of consumers (though possibly the minority on here) don’t actually do that regularly, it’s less significant than the numbers would suggest at face value.

No it’s not, on Virgin 200Mb I get a transfer rate of 25Mbps, on BT 47Mb I get a max transfer rate of 6Mbps, that’s a large difference.

And maybe I’m a high end user compared to normal use cases but we are always downloading TV shows on Sky and constant game updates on Xbox and Ps

Soldato
No it’s not, on Virgin 200Mb I get a transfer rate of 25Mbps, on BT 47Mb I get a max transfer rate of 6Mbps.

No you don't. On Virgin 200Mbps you get a transfer of 25MB/s. Re-read the post you quoted, he was saying that 20Mbps is the same on a 38Mbps connection as it is on 350Mbps connection. You're getting confused between Bits and Bytes.

Caporegime
No you don't. On Virgin 200Mbps you get a transfer of 25MB/s. Re-read the post you quoted, he was saying that 20Mbps is the same on a 38Mbps connection as it is on 350Mbps connection. You're getting confused between Bits and Bytes.

I’m not getting confused, I just typed the wrong thing.

What I’m saying is the max transfer rate is a long way off, so it would be painful to switch.

That's the argument the dude in retentions tried on me. "Oh I can see you've downloaded a lot last month, how many people in your house?", yes but available bandwidth is not the same as consumption of said bandwidth. On a 38Mbps connection I can still use Netflix, I can still DL my games and Newsgroup stuff and I schedule my downloads overnight.

The biggest pain for me will be losing the 20Mbps upload, but given that this is day 5 of intermittent connectivity and packet loss I'll take a stable connection at a tenth of the available bandwidth on a terrible service you're offering cholo.

Soldato
Its the upload where they have us though, sadly nothing else comes close in this area. Not important to everyone but its the only reason I pay for the top package, 100Mbps vs 300 Mbps download really makes no meaningful difference to me but 12Mbps traffic throttled upload vs 20Mbps unthrottled makes things so much easier.

Soldato
Its the upload where they have us though, sadly nothing else comes close in this area. Not important to everyone but its the only reason I pay for the top package, 100Mbps vs 300 Mbps download really makes no meaningful difference to me but 12Mbps traffic throttled upload vs 20Mbps unthrottled makes things so much easier.
Precisely this. I could easily live with 100Mbs download but even the 20Mbs upload Virgin offer is not really enough though it's the best we can do unless you are the lucky few that can get Hyperoptics.

If I can get ~19Mb with fibre I'm going to give them a try but I'm loathe to miss out on the 22Mb I get on Virgin as every Mb at this low speed counts. I just wish they'd designed the infrastructure differently so they could at least still offer the 10:1 ratio we used to have - we should be getting 35Mb - 40Mb upload by now if it was.

Caporegime
A connection that requires 20Mbps.

I’m not saying that though, I am saying on my transfer speed of 25MB/s through Virgin that going down to 6MB/s would be very annoying and make my downloads take longer, which is not something I want, and it’s frustrating that Virgin is my only option.

I disagreed with him saying in reality it makes no difference, when in fact it does because downloads take longer, I don’t care about connection streams on a required connection, that was not my point at all

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I’m not saying that though, I am saying on my transfer speed of 25MB/s through Virgin that going down to 6MB/s would be very annoying and make my downloads take longer, which is not something I want, and it’s frustrating that Virgin is my only option.

I disagreed with him saying in reality it makes no difference, when in fact it does because downloads take longer, I don’t care about connection streams on a required connection, that was not my point at all

But you're disagreeing with something he is right and you missing the point. He is saying a 20mbps video stream will stream at 20mbps on 38mbps connection just fine, as it does on a 350mbps connection.

He went on to say you only notice the difference when downloading, you just repeated his point!

Caporegime
But you're disagreeing with something he is right and you missing the point. He is saying a 20mbps video stream will stream at 20mbps on 38mbps connection just fine, as it does on a 350mbps connection.

He went on to say you only notice the difference when downloading, you just repeated his point!

I get it, but I dont get why you guys can’t see what I said originally still stands, I was not talking about video streams at a certain speed, I was saying downloads at download rate FFS

Seems like people want to dogpile just for the fun of it, if anything he backed up my initial point I made

Soldato
I get it, but I dont get why you guys can’t see what I said originally still stands...
It is only that by writing the wrong thing re Mb/MB that it confused us. ;)

Your point though is perfectly valid for you and many others who like to download large files in minutes rather than hours. The difference in the time it takes can be galling.

There are also many that rarely use the max 350Mb+ that Virgin offers and for those who just mainly browse and stream then even a good 40Mbit connection will be just fine.

Soldato
Hi

We are having Virgin installed at our new address just now. have the VIP package with the 350mb internet.

What will i need to get the full speed over wifi? I think a wired connection will not be possible. Don't want to drill any holes or anything as we are only here temporary till our new house is built.

I will look at getting a wire under but need a back up plan.

Thanks.,

Associate
Hi

We are having Virgin installed at our new address just now. have the VIP package with the 350mb internet.

What will i need to get the full speed over wifi? I think a wired connection will not be possible. Don't want to drill any holes or anything as we are only here temporary till our new house is built.

I will look at getting a wire under but need a back up plan.

Thanks.,

Good luck getting full wifi speed with the VM hub. My hub is in the same room as my PC/Xbox and never get over half the 200mbs I pay for via wifi. Wired yes, wifi no chance.

Had my call from retentions today. Told the guy on the phone I wasn't interested because of the week long fault, Puma chipset debacle and constant hikes. Offered me £50 credit, £17 off last month's bill and 12 months at £30pm for 350mb BB. £293 for a year of 350mb BB... annoyingly, that's almost enough to keep me. Going to sleep on it.

Rumour has it SH4 is in testing at the moment, no word on release date so I don't know how much truth there is in said rumour but end in sight for latency spikes?

Soldato
so since the new firmware update i've had 3 complete Hub resets where the Hub has decided to revert back to factory settings for no reason.

here is the lates warnings if anyone can decipher

Time Priority Description
2018-09-09 13:49:08.00 notice DHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-rtsxxl35016u-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=c0:05:c2:6b:d0:8b;CMTS-MAC=00:a2:89:26:84:ef;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2018-09-10 00:19:47.00 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=c0:05:c2:6b:d0:8b;CMTS-MAC=00:a2:89:26:84:ef;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2018-09-13 13:06:36.00 Error DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=c0:05:c2:6b:d0:8b;CMTS-MAC=00:a2:89:26:84:ef;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2018-09-14 09:41:53.00 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=c0:05:c2:6b:d0:8b;CMTS-MAC=00:a2:89:26:84:ef;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2018-09-14 10:38:53.00 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=c0:05:c2:6b:d0:8b;CMTS-MAC=00:a2:89:26:84:ef;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Associate
turns out im behind 3 brick walls so i barely scrap a signal and get about 70mb

Use Devolo/TPLink Powerline. I get near maximum speed through the TPLink 2000mbps setup.

For wi-fi, I gave up on SH2 and put it into modem mode, using my trusty Asus RT66 the connection and wifi has been rock solid for nearly a year now.

Back
Top Bottom