Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Soldato
The versions A08 and newer doesn’t have banding issues, mines an A04 which has banding but I rarely see it, unless gaming in certain conditions. Otherwise it’s a great monitor.

Soldato
I'm not having much luck with electrical things at the moment. An old Dell monitor has just started playing up, a kettle has leaked water all over the place and now my 2 month old 2716 has a weird issue. Anyone had this before or know a name for it? When reading text every so often the text appears malformed but only in one location on the screen. It's like there's a vertical strip of pixels that are just no longer there so the text is malformed. There's no empty space though but any characters in the vertical strip of pixels are narrower(width) than they should be! if I turn it off and back on again (yeah right, ha) it sorts itself out. It looks weird like someone has made a typo and inserted a Russian character or something. If I scroll up and down it's the same, so the problem is vertical. An "O" for example inside the strip will appear very oblong (thin)rather than round.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not having much luck with electrical things at the moment. An old Dell monitor has just started playing up, a kettle has leaked water all over the place and now my 2 month old 2716 has a weird issue. Anyone had this before or know a name for it? When reading text every so often the text appears malformed but only in one location on the screen. It's like there's a vertical strip of pixels that are just no longer there so the text is malformed. There's no empty space though but any characters in the vertical strip of pixels are narrower(width) than they should be! if I turn it off and back on again (yeah right, ha) it sorts itself out. It looks weird like someone has made a typo and inserted a Russian character or something. If I scroll up and down it's the same, so the problem is vertical. An "O" for example inside the strip will appear very oblong (thin)rather than round.

Same on mine, it glitches out every so often, as you say turning on and off fixes it. I think it's one of the weird quirks with this monitor. My A04 didn't suffer from it, but my replacement A07 or A08? I think does. Think there have been similar issues on other forums reported. Tends to happen to me after gaming occasionally.

Soldato
Same on mine, it glitches out every so often, as you say turning on and off fixes it. I think it's one of the weird quirks with this monitor. My A04 didn't suffer from it, but my replacement A07 or A08? I think does. Think there have been similar issues on other forums reported. Tends to happen to me after gaming occasionally.
Mine's an A09 and just seems to randomly do it I think, unsure if after a gaming session if it's more likely to occur as it doesn't do it frequently anyway. I'm working with a client mostly from home at the moment so will decide soon whether to return it for a replacement, while I'm easily able to do it. Shame though as great monitor apart from that silly "feature".
I do tend to run it at 120hz so may just put it at 144 and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Associate
What you're describing has been reported on various G-Sync displays. I've had it on two IPS displays and two TN displays, in all cases resolved by using the 165Hz overclock feature. IIRC, in 144Hz mode, I was able to rid the line by changing the refresh rate then changing back to 144Hz.

I think probably the G-Sync module was updated at some point and newly manufactured displays started having the issue.

Soldato
I was just thinking last night that this monitor is one of my best PC related purchases ever.
It's been 2.5 years now, and still think it's a great gaming monitor.

I can see me keeping it until I can get a 30"+, UHD, HDR, 120Hz+, gsync for under £1K.

Associate
I was just thinking last night that this monitor is one of my best PC related purchases ever.

I can see me keeping it until I can get a 30"+, UHD, HDR, 120Hz+, gsync for under £1K.

i'm watching the markets for exactly the same. I was considering 1440p but if im going to upgrade i might as well go to 4k

Soldato

I agree I love mine. I'm so glad I didn't go for 4k just yet. 1440p is a real sweet spot for high frame rates currently.

Associate
I just picked one up for £450. Received the A09 revision manufactured August 2018. I've only had it on for an hour or so but no dead pixels and colours look good out the box. Definitely a nice upgrade to my old BenQ XL2411T.

I'll be tweaking the colours etc based on all the reviews online and see what looks the best.

Associate
Just got one and coming from a 60hz 1080P Dell ultrasharp P2414H IPS, I am underwhelmed. The 144hz is nice and all but the blacks are greyish and the text seems kinda less sharp. Its the A05 revision. No banding visible so far in dark scenes. I am going to spend some time trying to calibrate it.

Associate
Well I spent quite some time calibrating it and now it looks almost as good as my P2414H. The viewing angles are still not as good but overall a very good buy considering the prices of the IPS G-Sync Monitors. I can say they are not worth it at all after adjusting the colour profile.

Back
Top Bottom