Spec me a pan set

Soldato
Moving into new home soon and buying stuff from new (First house)

Looking for a decent/good pan set one that's going to last

Prefer glass lids so you can see stuff rather than having to keep lifting the lid.....

Soldato
Don't like sets. Use pots and pans for very different tasks its rare a set has what you want in them.

My current favourite pan is my 28cm aluminium frying pan, great for curries and other sauce based dishes. I then have a heavy 26cm iron pan for steaks. I have a 24cm non stick for things like fish and eggs.
I have a large stainless pan that i use for browning and then putting straight in the oven, also some non stick pans for sauces and such.

Basically, just buy the pan which suites the task best. You will soon build up your collection.

Don
Can't advise on a set to buy, but can advise on a set to avoid:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richards-Equip-Stainless-5-Piece/dp/B00F01VUM6

Absolutely don't - the steamer tiers and lids don't fit very well, the handles come loose easily, and the smallest pan barely balances with nothing in, as the handle seemingly weighs more than the pan :)

On the other hand, we have a Aldi "stone" effect frying pan, that has been the best frying pan I've ever owned - it gets hot quickly and stays hot, and nothing ever sticks.

EDIT:
One similar to this one:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/crofton-frying-pan-stainless-steel/p/096395219030700

Last edited:
Associate
I can highly recommend ProCook stuff. Check out their website. Good price, well made and they offer sets that should suit most people. I bought a huge pot and pan set from them about 3 years ago and still going strong. Some of the nonstick is a tad faded but we aren’t that careful with them to be honest.

Soldato
I have these https://www.procook.co.uk/product/procook-professional-steel-saucepan-set-4-piece-with-free-utensils, albeit an older design as I've has them for ~7 years now. Still good as new.

Assumes you are OK with stainless steel though.

I have these. They are good pans. I have an induction hob and they have a nice heavy base so give an even heat.

I live in hard water area and I sometimes get a residue on the bottom, but a small squirt of vikal and they come up sparkly new.

I wouldn't buy non stick saucepans. Stainless all the way.

Soldato
Soldato
On the contrary, I'm a massive convert to Jamie Oliver's hard anodised Tefal ones. The ones with the metal handle, not the cheaper ones with the black handle. We also have a deep le Creuset casserole which gets used a lot and a shallow wide one. They're good but if you're talking frying pans I think they're overkill. I do want one for steak though :p

Soldato
We have some ceramic and cast iron Le Creuset stuff as well, all of which has lasted and performed exceedingly well. Even second-hand, it's worth it.
Alongside that, we have several bits and bobs of various makes, including some of the Jamie/Tefal stuff. Most of it was bought or recommended by professional chef friends, on the basis of what they use and find works best. For pans, they're generally right. We do argue about the knife set brands, though.

Soldato
You can sometimes get good bargins in charity shops, I got a very nice pan for £5 which I reckon is worth a lot more.

Soldato
Yet another +1 for ProCook stuff. Very pleased with the quality - our (anodised) set must be over 10 years old and rock solid, no loose handles etc and comes up clean really easily after use. Ours are not dishwasher safe as the handled were rubberised to make them safer to handle when hot. I suspect that range was discontinued as people want to be able to sling them into a dishwasher.

If you get them, try and use only wood or plastic utensils to reduce the risk of scratching the non-stick surface.

Back
Top Bottom