Spec me: Closed back Headphones

Soldato
Hey all,

I'm looking for some advice for some Headphones,
Needs to be closed back as my partner's shift work means She'll be sleeping at times in the room.

Now I play a fair variety of games, good bit of FPS and watch films/tv on the pc.
I've got a Creative Sound Blaster Z in the PC, no amp.

I was recommended some Meze 99's a while back, are they still a good shout?
Any other recommendations?
Budget sub 200 hopefully, could be persuaded otherwise

Soldato
Beyerdynamic DT770 should be really good for gaming for closed headphone of its price and that bass would certainly be good for movies.
Though for best distinguishing of foot steps etc in games might need some minus dBs in equalizer for bass.

With velour pads they should be comfortable for longer gaming sessions.
Wouldn't trust anything with closed cups and leather or pleather pads to avoid ears sweating in longer use.
(unless having below 15C room temperature...)

Also price is nice wallet friendly £125 in rainforest for 80 ohm model.
(250 ohm one has coiled cable)

Soldato
Beyers don't need especially much power.
Even 250 ohm version would go lot over hearing safe volumes without any special output.
80 ohm version would work with most mobile devices.

Associate
The 250 ohm versions are definitely a bit on the quiet side when used with a phone. Fine for music that's heavily compressed but can struggle with a poorly produced podcast or similar.

Soldato
I have the 250ohm DT770, I can confirm that it does require a reasonable adequate headphone amp for it to perform fully.

Using a regular 16ohm or 32ohm headphone, my portable DACMagic XS with built-in amp sound comparable to to my Asus STX; but when using the DT770 250ohm, on the DACMagic XS it struggle to deliver a clear separation and positioning, whereas the Asus STX has no problem handling it.

Back
Top Bottom