Clapping Banned at Manchester University Student Union Events

Soldato
It’s just emperors new trousers syndrome....

Everyone is racing to the bottom to be the most special or individual, it’s a lot easier to stand out and be special by claiming to be one of the 64 registered mental health issues than actual work at something to be special or individual i.e. learning to paint or play the piano...

Caporegime
I was never really sure what the Students Union did even when I was at Uni to be fair.

well for most people they provide the bar(s), club nights etc.. and the various societies - sports, academic, national/cultural and various hobby/interest groups

and if you go to a decent university then plenty of these societies, thanks to corporate sponsorship etc.., have much more money than they really need and can put on plenty of free social events

for a minority of people though, the student union gives an opportunity to play at being a politician and there is probably an overrepresentation of people with political views rather out of sync with the student population, let alone the general population

Soldato
the only thing dark in my student union was the night club.
You mean there was no ethnic diversity?
Shameful!!! :D

Also clapping above your head at the theatre. Yeah sounds like a great plan. lol.
Seen it happen loads of times, long before this thread came up!

Also how does your clapping above the head account for the people who get anxiety from loud noises?
What, like the loud noises you'd find in concerts and movies anyway?
If you insist on this being a problem, we'll either sell anxiety earplugs (made from pig ****, or some other environmentally friendly substance) at the foyer, or just stab them in the ear to deafen them - That latter one would probably help us fill the equality quotas too, actually...

Or here's the most sane option. Stop trying to cater for absolutely everything because it's impossible and just go with the universally accepted thing that anyone who can hit something against something else can do, which is clap.
Firstly - Where's the challenge in that?
Secondly - How DARE you exclude people who cannot hit one thing against another!!!!!

because we'd have to immediately surrender to any declaration of war to avoid triggering the mentally weak.
Oh ye of no military mindset or vision....
Instead, trigger the hell out of them, get them properly wound up to the point of bursting, and then just deploy them against the Russians. It won't end the war, but the Russians will have some serious headaches by the time the rest of our forces get there!!

It's like that type writer dude in saving private Ryan.
ISTR he ended up becoming a killer in the end, too. Just needed the right motivation. ;)

Which is seen as a sign of derision in some cultures.
Never heard that. Which one(s)?

I don't have sound at work, but I assume that's what this video is about?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8H-a8HTQL8

All I can say is that Bruce Springsteen and Freddie Mercury say "**** you" to whichever cultures are thus offended:
https://youtu.be/129kuDCQtHs?t=2m40s
https://youtu.be/0omja1ivpx0?t=1m47s
:D

I just typed "audience clapping" into google, it seems pretty apparent that the audiences are clapping in the resulting images.
But if people typically clap at or below chest height and you're in a darkened auditorium, how is that easily seen?

I also think the point @Mason- made about blind people is valid.
What, the one I already covered by just combining the noise of clapping, with doing it overhead so deaf people can clearly see what the blind people hear?

Must be more pressing things to discuss, worry about?
More pressing, yes, but since that means talking to the local council about drains, I'd rather argue some random ******** on here today!!

Man of Honour
Never heard that. Which one(s)?

I wasn't making a serious point but in some tribal cultures, etc. the overhead slow clap is seen negatively often used to show disinterest or as a put down, etc. it is pretty niche was more that you are always going to offend someone - not to say we should go the opposite way and show no consideration but that there are limits to how far we should alter something that is a society "normal".

Associate
Odd decisions have not been confined to the last 2 years of human history.
The aspiration to be inclusive is a laudable aspiration, regardless of the resulting action.
It seems a lot of people have never been under the auspices of a Student Union. Thus, I can tell you, it ever was.

Soldato
I wasn't making a serious point but in some tribal cultures, etc. the overhead slow clap is seen negatively often used to show disinterest or as a put down, etc.
So clap fast?

it is pretty niche was more that you are always going to offend someone
I think we offer far greater offence every time a new fad dance craze comes out, TBH!!

not to say we should go the opposite way and show no consideration but that there are limits to how far we should alter something that is a society "normal".
But the challenge is to find something that isn't so much of a compromise upon normal society.
The easiest answer probably involves just creating an app of some sort, but again - challenge....

Back
Top Bottom