Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Associate
It's interesting how divided opinions are on this game.

I found it to be my favourite of the trilogy, it felt a little more like a Tomb Raider game to me than the previous two. The difficulty options to disable climbing guides and puzzle hints were something I really appreciated and I think a big part of why I got vibes of the original games at some parts. Actually feeling a sense of achievement for being observant made climbing more enjoyable for me.
It was refreshing to walk into a room or area and feel a little overwhelmed, even if for only for a little while, again something I felt missing from previous two games but core to the design of the originals. I also played with survival instincts turned off.

I would highly recommend playing, or at least starting, this game on 'one with the jungle' difficulty. It's not a hard game in general and this is how it should be played imo.
I did switch to 'deadly obsession' early on but probably wouldn't recommend that to most (you can't switch back).

I think Eidos are taking the series in the right direction but Shadow seems to have a bit of an identity crisis, trying to do too much. It's still stuck in the ways of TR & Rise. Unlocking loads of abilities but barely getting a chance to use them, for example.
I hope Eidos Montreal get a chance to make another TR because I really enjoyed Shadow and feel it could evolve into something more special with more focus the exporation and puzzles.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't understand the complaints TBH. I mean this game is far from perfect but it's certainly the best of the three at being Tomb Raider. The plot is tosh but so was Rise's. This game at least has proper tombs, underwater sections and emphasis on exploration with more interesting locations. There was nothing smoother about Rise's gameplay, it was a worse Uncharted clone with too much shooting and a blander setting, the core elements are the same.

Shadow isn't an utterly great game and there is a lot of unrealised potential here but it's solid.

Associate
OP
Just picked this up as got £40 for Spider-Man from CEX. Love TR and looking forward to getting stuck into this!

Soldato
Been looking at getting this, I have completed Spider-Man and I am looking to cure the itch until Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out...Worth getting?

I've played the previous 2 of the reboot, is it basically more of the same?

Associate
OP
Been looking at getting this, I have completed Spider-Man and I am looking to cure the itch until Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out...Worth getting?

I've played the previous 2 of the reboot, is it basically more of the same?

Seems like it so far which isn’t a bad thing right? Massive upgrade in Gfx though; reflections in water are the best I’ve seen I think. Playing on a pro. Only an hour in mind.

Associate
OP
Anybody else find lara’s Movement in this a bit weird. Like she doesn’t know whether to run or walk, not very smooth?

EDIT: tried another controller and that’s fine. My controller must be dodgy!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
How are you finding the game so far? Is it a worthy purchase at £40ish? I keep toying with the idea of getting it, but just keep thinking its nothing that is going to blow me away

Really good so far 2 hours in; if you like the other 2 you’ll like this. Playing with headphones on (ps 2.0) and the sound is fantastic. On hard difficulty it’s great as they’ve removed the hud and waypoints so exploring is improved.

Soldato
I’m a few hours in and finding it fantastic. Was a bit put off due to reviews and comments but really enjoying it. It’s a stunning looking game....

Soldato
I have no idea what's happening with the story totally lost.

Graphics are very good! 4k and HDR on the Xbox One X is a real treat on the eyes.

Think I preferred the story on the previous game.

Soldato
Finished it last night and my thoughts with about 95% completion:

+ Looks incredible aside from some weird changes to Lara's face
+ The tomb designs/detail are amazing, beating out Uncharted by some distance
+ There are a decent number of puzzles/tombs/crypts
+ Combat is good fun, stealth is possible for a good chunk of the game
+ Difficulty options let you turn off the puzzle hints and white exploration markers
+ A nice throwback section and some cool references to the older games

- The new additions add nothing, the costume-mechanic is annoying, piranhas/eels are a pain, stealth changes like camouflage are half-baked
- Puzzles are nearly all rehashed versions (exploding gas clouds, reflect light with mirrors, use wind to move platforms, etc)
- The story is confusing rubbish and the characters almost universally unlikeable and/or dumb
- The locations/areas aren't as varied as the last games
- The weapons/upgrades are just padding, no one needs 7 different bows
- Far too many collectibles that add very little to the story
- The last boss fight sucked

Associate
OP
Any overall tips to make puzzle solving easier? Playing on hard and don’t really want to lessen the difficulty for puzzles or they’re just pointless but also don’t want to not play the game because I’m stuck. Currently at trial of the Eagle. Trying to avoid just watching YouTube vids as want to try and actually do the puzzles.

Any overall tips which really help for puzzles. Tried a challenge tomb but gave up on that also.

*Edit: just done it! Maybe I’m just very slow at these haha*

Last edited:
Associate
Downloaded this on my new X last night for just under £35.00 - played the other 2 TR games and this seems to be more of the same, which is no bad thing. Looks awesome as well. Hopefully enough going on to keep me going until the 26th for RDR2!

Back
Top Bottom