• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Turing RTX 2080 Owners Thread

Associate
anyone else got these under water, my blocks arrived today and using the fe cards with the blocks and temps are a lot to be desired, both were installed but one was way hotter than the other, so switched back to one but even so at 1440p ultra settings in d2, the division and mass effect andromeda the card sits at around 56-63 degrees under water at full looad with a clock speed around 1950-1980, (no overclocking) does this seem right or do turing cards run warm in general?
I can tell you that my xc ultra sits around 67-71 degrees on air with automatic fan control in 1440p

Soldato
anyone else got these under water, my blocks arrived today and using the fe cards with the blocks and temps are a lot to be desired, both were installed but one was way hotter than the other, so switched back to one but even so at 1440p ultra settings in d2, the division and mass effect andromeda the card sits at around 56-63 degrees under water at full looad with a clock speed around 1950-1980, (no overclocking) does this seem right or do turing cards run warm in general?

Sounds like you need to refit that if I’m honest...

Soldato
i've re-mounted both blocks twice now, i did notice that the contact betwen the die on the card and block was less than ideal and i needed to use a fair amount of thermal paste to make proper contact, i rechecked all the thermal pads to make sure i've placed all in the correct places which i did originally. the only thing i have changed is my coolant, i used mayhemes blood red in the past but yesterday i switched to ek cryofuel acid green.
(edit, i also used new tubing as i know mixing old pipe with residue from the old coolant is a no no, i also flushed all my components with deironised water and allowed to dry before rebuilding)
to be honest my cpu temps are a little warmer on the new liqid i have seen 78 vs around 65 on the mayhemes

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought I had a problem after fitting the 2080 but it's fine. I started noticing a humming/buzzing sound straight away, pretty much constant whether gaming or in desktop. After much testing of fans, and after swapping the GPU with another one and testing the 2080 in another system I eventually found it's monitor no 2 making the noise. I tested the main one too but not the second one, what an idiot :(.
Glad its not the GPU anyway but now need a new second monitor. It's a 10 or 11 year old Dell FP2408 so can't complain. I think just coincidence it started playing up the same time as fitting the GPU.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got mine under water. I never go above 55c using furmark and prime95 on all 8 cores on the CPU

I've got the CPU andd GPU in a single loop with a single 360mm EK PE radiator

your temps don't seem too bad, I guess it depends on the rest of your cooling and what you've got in it. Did you get the back plate with it too? There's some thermal pads that need to be added there as well

Associate
Yes they are overpriced and right now doing nothing more than a 1080ti, but they are so efficient. The trio is keeping 2070 boost and not going anywhere past 65 degrees playing Horizon 4 at 120fps.

Soldato
ok guys so i decided to get the zotac amp 2080 over the 1080ti.

should be coming tommorow.

All the 1080ti models i'd want are 630+ which put it within £100 of the 2080... I really like VR gaming so in 2 year or so time if i want a dedicated VR card, this could be it if i upgrade when 7nm hits the selves with that VR-link port.

Soldato
ok guys so i decided to get the zotac amp 2080 over the 1080ti.

should be coming tommorow.

All the 1080ti models i'd want are 630+ which put it within £100 of the 2080... I really like VR gaming so in 2 year or so time if i want a dedicated VR card, this could be it if i upgrade when 7nm hits the selves with that VR-link port.
Enjoy. The right decision IMO :)

Soldato
I've got mine under water. I never go above 55c using furmark and prime95 on all 8 cores on the CPU

I've got the CPU andd GPU in a single loop with a single 360mm EK PE radiator

your temps don't seem too bad, I guess it depends on the rest of your cooling and what you've got in it. Did you get the back plate with it too? There's some thermal pads that need to be added there as well

my build consists of a overclocked 7900x at 4.5ghz but undervolted to 1.12v being cooled by a 240mm pe ek rad, my 2080 fe is being cooled by a xe 360mm ek rad i plan to have both cooled by it, i have noticed something my cpu temps are also high around 13-20 degrees more in some cases, coupled with my card hitting high 50's to low 60's all under water is leading me to one conclusion, my ek cryofuel acid geen coolant looks to be at fault, i ran mayhens x1 red coolant before and my temps were awsome, only reason i changed was becasue i wated a green themed machine.
and yes i blead the sysetm for a good 18-20hrs and made sure all air was removed.
i'm also noticing a hot spot around the pwr regs on the card using the block and the backplates i have get very warm around that area, for safety i took both out and had a look at the thermal pads, they were all in the correct places, it almost looks to me that more are needed but ek's manual says otherwise

Soldato
Enjoy. The right decision IMO :)

Thanks. Still not sure if I should have stretched the budget an extra £300 for the RTX 2080ti.

Given I'm rocking a 4670k, I figured that 300+ quid would be better served on a CPU/Mobo/RAM in a couple of months time and that I'd probably not be using the 2080ti to its full power 90% of the time given the 2080 and 1080ti see to for the most part destroy most older games at 4k.

Associate
my build consists of a overclocked 7900x at 4.5ghz but undervolted to 1.12v being cooled by a 240mm pe ek rad, my 2080 fe is being cooled by a xe 360mm ek rad i plan to have both cooled by it, i have noticed something my cpu temps are also high around 13-20 degrees more in some cases, coupled with my card hitting high 50's to low 60's all under water is leading me to one conclusion, my ek cryofuel acid geen coolant looks to be at fault, i ran mayhens x1 red coolant before and my temps were awsome, only reason i changed was becasue i wated a green themed machine.
and yes i blead the sysetm for a good 18-20hrs and made sure all air was removed.
i'm also noticing a hot spot around the pwr regs on the card using the block and the backplates i have get very warm around that area, for safety i took both out and had a look at the thermal pads, they were all in the correct places, it almost looks to me that more are needed but ek's manual says otherwise

If you've got a whole 360mm rad cooling just the GPU(s) you should be fine. Didn't think coolant could make such a difference but it would be interesting to see your results. Once I get a bit of time I'll post up my temps/load for a comparison :D

Last edited:
Soldato
If you've got a hole 360mm rad cooling just the GPU(s) you should be fine. Didn't think coolant could make such a difference but it would be interesting to see your results. Once I get a bit of time I'll post up my temps/load for a comparison :D

i've just placed a order on ocuk for new coolant, pipe's and gpu interconnects, will be arriving tommorow ready for the weekend, i've also taken one of my 2080's arpart and added more pads to the pwr regs as ek recommends one strip, but that leaves 2 whole banks open and not toching the block, when the weekend hits i'm doing the same to the one i have in use, as that one under load gets stupidly warm in that area and teps climb to the mid 50's and at worst 63 on the core, thats at stock speeds no overclocks. its so bad the nickel block is warm to the touch by the power plugs.

on my old coolant my cpu never went above 65 under full load and my old gpu never it 50 even when overclocked (i had a 1080ftw3), as i said before the only major thing i''ve changed is the coolant since then temps have been utter *****

Associate
This was my setup with thermal pads. I added a strip to the left and right of the middle strip where EK says it needs to go. I think it's making contact with the block and seeing as the original heatsink had strips there I thought I'd get it as close as possible

IMG_0046.jpg

Soldato
with you pic of the pcb, i followed ek's instructions to the letter and where the lr22 caps are only the pad to the right is mentioned, they dont say anything about placing pads either side or a third pad to the far right, also the pad to the far left nearset the io is not mentioned by ek either, but now i have this picture i can follow it and get my temps under control

Associate
hopefully it helps. You can see at the back the stock cooler and I wanted to copy that as close as possible. I'm pretty happy with the temps even with a 7700k dumping heat in the loop.

Soldato
i just hope i havent damged my first card, time will tell, if my cpu temps were under control i'd be happier but because there not i have to pull everything apart and try again :(

again many thanks for posting you card and the pad setup, thats like gold dust to me

Soldato
Thanks. Still not sure if I should have stretched the budget an extra £300 for the RTX 2080ti.

Given I'm rocking a 4670k, I figured that 300+ quid would be better served on a CPU/Mobo/RAM in a couple of months time and that I'd probably not be using the 2080ti to its full power 90% of the time given the 2080 and 1080ti see to for the most part destroy most older games at 4k.

You're probably right to do that. I've seen that even a 4790k with DDR3 can bottleneck the RTX 2080 quite a bit more than say an 8700k with decent DDR4 in some situations @ 1080p and 1440p. Not as much in 4k, mind.

Back
Top Bottom