Clapping Banned at Manchester University Student Union Events

Soldato
To be fair they're not always mutually exclusive.

There is a point where stupid stories should just be ignored so they fade into oblivion.
? You assume that by ignorance will simply cause stupid actions and proposals to disappear? Surely you need some sort of resistance for this to happen?

Please explain the mechanics/chain of events here because what you are describing is simply not how reality works.

In your world, a union banns clapping for stupid reasons, nobody says anything about it, and then the union magically abandons their idea. How can that even happen?

Something has to happen before they abandon their idea you know lol. And that something is that is society, we, need to express how stupid the proposal is and let them know that they are full of crap.

Caporegime
In your world, a union banns clapping for stupid reasons, nobody says anything about it, and then the union magically abandons their idea. How can that even happen?

Something has to happen before they abandon their idea you know lol. And that something is that is society, we, need to express how stupid the proposal is and let them know that they are full of crap.

It happens because in 2 -3 years or less pretty much the entire political involved union is replaced.

Rules like this come and go as fads.

Soldato
? You assume that by ignorance will simply cause stupid actions and proposals to disappear? Surely you need some sort of resistance for this to happen?

Please explain the mechanics/chain of events here because what you are describing is simply not how reality works.

I think the only assumptions here are ones you make in order to shape conversations to enable you to write things you want to write.

Anyway, clapping technically hasn't been 'banned', the form it takes has changed. :p

But sure waffle on about this as much as you like, make it the most important thing in the world ever.

Meanwhile countless important things are going on in the world that get overlooked.

It sounds like they've already done a number on you, you appear to get distracted by anything that's remotely shiny while missing the bigger picture you seem so eager to believe you're pointing out to us all.

Permabanned
Caporegime
OP
Caporegime
Oh dear, back in my days we had a president, a VP of fiance, student welfare etc. Liberation and access officer :rolleyes:. Give it a few years and it will be a fight-against-the-oppressive-white-man-officer.

Permabanned
The ironic thing is so many of these ethnic or ethnic origin students (and unpatriotic English ones) stridently cursing the Imperialist British are being subsidised by bursaries long ago set up and financed by Imperialist philanthropists, or indeed using the buildings and facilities first created by their altruistic enemies. They should give their grants back as a first step in their politically led condemnation.

Soldato
These are our future politicians.....

I for one look forward to mandatory silence in public in 2035, requiring pre-written consent to start a conversation with defined boundaries to ensure no one is offended.....

Caporegime
The ironic thing is so many of these ethnic or ethnic origin students (and unpatriotic English ones) stridently cursing the Imperialist British are being subsidised by bursaries long ago set up and financed by Imperialist philanthropists, or indeed using the buildings and facilities first created by their altruistic enemies. They should give their grants back as a first step in their politically led condemnation.
Chris showing not only does he not know how to use certain smilies properly, he'd give Alanis Morissette a run for her money on the misuse of commonly understood English terms.

C'mon Chris! Britain demands more! Do we need to get an 'ethnic' to explain irony to you and your pub full of winners (there is no pub, there are no winners, what a misadventure).

Soldato
Chris showing not only does he not know how to use certain smilies properly, he'd give Alanis Morissette a run for her money on the misuse of commonly understood English terms.

C'mon Chris! Britain demands more! Do we need to get an 'ethnic' to explain irony to you and your pub full of winners (there is no pub, there are no winners, what a misadventure).

:D

Soldato
That would be childish. Applause is done as a gesture of approval.
No different to cracking out the Vuvuzelas...!!

So you’re in agreement with me then that it’s proposterous? That you’ll always offend someone and the end result is we should probably just stick to clapping?
Nope. None of that.
Not a jot of what I said in any way supports or agrees with what you asserted. But don't let that get in the way of getting your rocks off over it... Have a copy of The Sun to cap it off, if you like.

Well for a start student union meetings don't tend to take place in the dark
But one day these students will come out into the real world, bringing with them whatever they've learned and forcing it on the rest of us because they're so entitled. A good number will fall straight into positions of power, further enforcing this stuff, so we might as well fill them up with vaguely plausible ideas that can still work, at least... and clapping like you're at a Springsteen concert doesn't seem so bad.

but regardless if it is dark then waving your hands at chest height as per the new rule isn't much help either...
Hence having a quick crack at the challenge to come up with something better.
For example, the foghorn mentioned earlier would be more useful if it also came with RGB.

Soldato
Nope. None of that.
Not a jot of what I said in any way supports or agrees with what you asserted. But don't let that get in the way of getting your rocks off over it... Have a copy of The Sun to cap it off, if you like.

You do:
"What, like the loud noises you'd find in concerts and movies anyway?
If you insist on this being a problem, we'll either sell anxiety earplugs (made from pig ****, or some other environmentally friendly substance) at the foyer, or just stab them in the ear to deafen them - That latter one would probably help us fill the equality quotas too, actually..."

I don't 'insist' on it being a problem the people behind banning clapping insist it is a problem (the subject of this whole thread). Which I say is absurd, jazz hands don't solve the problem (blind people etc), and your suggested solution of clap above your heads doesn't solve the noise problem either.

"Secondly - How DARE you exclude people who cannot hit one thing against another!!!!!"
And even more proof from you that no matter what you do, someone will be ****** off.

So bringing this all back to what I said earlier, it's not worth changing anything because it's completely pointless and lets stick to normal clapping which hasn't been an issue for a very long time. Unless of course you have another suggestion wherein: people who are physically incapable of making noise (with their hands), can create a noise so that blind people can hear it, but at the same time not create a noise that upsets the "I hate loud noises" brigade.

Got anything? No of course you don't.

Soldato
Err.... not quite, kid.
I presented a solution. You raised issue with my solution. I negated your issue, as it would still be present with or without my solution, while also presenting two additional solutions to your issue.
You somehow claim this negation and dismissal of your flawed quibbles as agreement, which it blatantly is not.

I don't 'insist' on it being a problem
I didn't even know it was a problem until you brought it up... and you persisted in trying to challenge me with it, despite me already solving it twice in one sitting.

Which I say is absurd, jazz hands don't solve the problem
Jazz hands solve the deaf problem.

(blind people etc),
My overhead clapping solves the deaf and blind problem.

and your suggested solution of clap above your heads doesn't solve the noise problem either.
The subsequent adaptions do, though.

And even more proof from you that no matter what you do, someone will be ****** off.
No-one is starred-off... here, there or in hypothetical land... Not unless you count yourself as the lone bastion of offense, in which case you're only starred-off because you want to be. Nothing to do with my actual assertion, which was actually about how you DARE to bring such hypocrisy to the conversation.

Unless of course you have another suggestion wherein: people who are physically incapable of making noise (with their hands), can create a noise so that blind people can hear it, but at the same time not create a noise that upsets the "I hate loud noises" brigade.
Already did that several posts back when I mentioned the app... :D
In fact, that pre-empts several other objections you might think to try, so feel free to make up some more objections for me to defeat...

Got anything? No of course you don't.
You're absolutely right. Let's just do what we've always done, because it has worked for hundreds of years.... I therefore call you cowardly scum and demand satisfaction of you - Hampstead Heath at dawn for a duel, and bring your best Boxing Stance!!

Caporegime
But one day these students will come out into the real world, bringing with them whatever they've learned and forcing it on the rest of us because they're so entitled. A good number will fall straight into positions of power, further enforcing this stuff, so we might as well fill them up with vaguely plausible ideas that can still work, at least... and clapping like you're at a Springsteen concert doesn't seem so bad.

If it helps when I was at Manchester uni iirc the voter turn out for some of the student union elections was in the single figures.

The rooms where they old these meetings wouldn't fit one class from one year of any of the major courses.

Back
Top Bottom