Best storage solution to store lots of video used for YouTube?

Soldato
I've just started a YouTube channel, and for each video, I end up with about 20GBs or so of footage that I have recorded from gameplay, and I need a decent place to store it all in-case I need to go back to it in the future.

It needs to be pretty fast storage as I don't want long wait times when copying it back and forth. I guess my options are either an external hard drive or a NAS of some sort. 6TB plus of storage would be great.

I think I have a spare USB 3.1 gen 2 port at the back of my computer if there are any drives that can keep up with that speed?

Would you go for the more expensive NAS option or would you just go for a cheap external hard drive?

Soldato
20GB, you could back that up to a flash drive, 256GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 3.1 Solid State Flash Drive + back it up to Cloud somewhere.

Or something like:

https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/ssd/extreme-900-ssd

if you want faster/bigger.

Once you move into the TBs then something like a Synology NAS (or a home built device if you're feeling adventurous), from your post it looks like your GB could become TB so you'll have to think about how much "pain" losing that data would cause, then you can figure out how much your willing to spend on "backing it up".

The old adage of "never put your eggs in one basket" is king ;)

Soldato
OP
20GB, you could back that up to a flash drive, 256GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 3.1 Solid State Flash Drive + back it up to Cloud somewhere.

Or something like:

https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/ssd/extreme-900-ssd

if you want faster/bigger.

Once you move into the TBs then something like a Synology NAS (or a home built device if you're feeling adventurous), from your post it looks like your GB could become TB so you'll have to think about how much "pain" losing that data would cause, then you can figure out how much your willing to spend on "backing it up".

The old adage of "never put your eggs in one basket" is king ;)

Hmm. A Synology NAS might be the best option for me. I'm just a bit concerned that it would be slow to transfer data over the network.

Soldato
10BaseT (10GigE) point-to-point + SSDs in the NAS for stuff your currently working on, slow (relative) spinning discs for "archive" stuff.

Again comes down to how much you're will to invest for your "use case".

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of this is going to come down to exactly how fast you want to move files. A 6TB drive will move files at a fair pace, probably 3-5 minutes to read 20GB off it, and will read just above gigabit speeds so you would be limited by a gigabit connection. If you want faster speeds then a RAID array, or very expensive SSD storage, which IMO is overkill, unless you plan to use the files directly off the storage archive to edit.

Back
Top Bottom