Any Nissan Or Mitsubishi Pickup Owners On Here?

Soldato
Interested in hearing how you’ve found them in terms of comfort, versatility and reliability.

Particularly the Mitsubishi L200 and the Nissan Navara.

Looking for something robust to handle general hauling/towing duties as well as seating 5 in reasonable comfort for 1-2 hour journeys.

Man of Honour
Don't own one but been giving a pickup some serious consideration recently - from what I've seen agree with above if it is more for motorway miles Navara > L200/Hilux but I've kind of gravitated towards the VW Amarok in that respect as it is better to drive again though trades blows when it comes to comfort for passengers, etc. (middle back seat setup is a bit meh on the Amarok if you actually need to seat 5 but overall a bit better for 4).

Soldato
I had a new model Navara, it is far better than the L200.

Get an auto though, I had a manual and found you had to shift gears quite a bit.

The Ford Ranger with the 3.2 V5 is a smooth ride and I hear the Amorak V6 is very nice too.

Soldato
The King.

Hilux-Apocalypse.jpg

Soldato
Lad i work with just bought a new Fiat Fullback which is a re-badged L200, it's quite nice for what it is with full leather, climate etc. He lives on a farm so it's a means to an end for him, he'd rather have a car as in his words it's slow and thirsty and not hugely comfortable compared to the car he drives (a Citroen C3) so take that as you will. But if like him you need to carry lots of stuff around and tow big loads all the time and are happy to sacrifice economy and comfort they're probably the best thing for the job.

I did help him have a look around and yeah a Hilux is great and all but they're really pricey compared to others, the Navara just seems unreliable with either the engine issues or the snapped chassis thing to worry about. He didn't really want to spend that much on a new truck but when we did the man maths for not hugely more than a used Hilux you can get a brand new Fullback so no worries about anything on it for a few years. Especially with trucks you never know how hard they've been used if buying 2nd hand.

Man of Honour
The King.

If you need a workhorse - sounds like OP is closer to a lifestyle requirement and for that you can do better.

or the snapped chassis thing to worry about

IIRC from when I was reading up that was only pre to 2011 models? supposedly the newer ones don't have that issue.

One thing that is a little frustrating about all these is the lack of interior storage solutions - when I was in the US I was driving around in a couple of different ones and they all had storage under and/or behind the rear seats, slide out storage under one of the front seats, etc. as standard.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you need a workhorse - sounds like OP is closer to a lifestyle requirement and for that you can do better.

IIRC from when I was reading up that was only pre to 2011 models? supposedly the newer ones don't have that issue.

I need something that can survive the rural French D and C roads whilst carrying furniture, building materials, gardening and swimming pool supplies as well as carrying 4 passengers and luggage for airport runs.

Man of Honour
Fair enough then - from your opening post I got the impression it was more something to sling the bikes in the back, etc. now and again type use.

Associate
Isuzu seem to be the ones you see more commonly on the roads round here (East Anglia.)
We changed from Hilux's to Isuzu's on the farm. From a penny pinching angle you get more for your money and a better looking vehicle with the Isuzu.

Caporegime
If you have a use for it then knock yourself out, if your after an alternative to an SUV then reconsider imo.

I find the ride quality crap (unless your carrying a ton + in the back) they don’t particularly drive that well compared to an SUV and your insurance will start again as the majority are classed as commercial vehicles therefore your private car NCB does not apply.

Borrowed a Navara at the weekend to tow my caravan as my e38 is having some work done on it, I though I’d like it,and initially was considering buying one, I couldn’t have been more wrong.

My truck drives far better than it did never mind the e38 (which is a fantastic tow car by comparison) to say I was disappointed would be a huge understatement.

Absolutely off my list.

Man of Honour
If you have a use for it then knock yourself out, if your after an alternative to an SUV then reconsider imo.

I find the ride quality crap (unless your carrying a ton + in the back) they don’t particularly drive that well compared to an SUV and your insurance will start again as the majority are classed as commercial vehicles therefore your private car NCB does not apply.

Borrowed a Navara at the weekend to tow my caravan as my e38 is having some work done on it, I though I’d like it,and initially was considering buying one, I couldn’t have been more wrong.

My truck drives far better than it did never mind the e38 (which is a fantastic tow car by comparison) to say I was disappointed would be a huge understatement.

Absolutely off my list.

That is why I was looking at the Amarok - not really so much from the lifestyle perspective but over the next 2-3 years the overall capabilities would be useful to have on hand but I definitely won't be using one as a workhorse. The Amarok is (or atleast from my limited experience seemed that way) much closer to an SUV especially without a load.

I was kind of swayed towards the Navara initially - some good ads I guess hah - but overall I wasn't so impressed when I started looking into it a bit more seriously - though I didn't get as negative perception but in reality it didn't really deliver on the image I had.

EDIT: While I've not driven a modern truck - the ones we have at work are really nice ride wise - the legroom, seat comfort and ride comfort as a passenger is excellent - way way better than taking a bus or train hah.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Any pickup that can carry several hundred kilos in the bed won’t ride well without a heavy load. Or will empty and be awful to drive loaded.

Back
Top Bottom