Spec me a CCTV System

Man of Honour
You would have more options in terms of cams if you were to power the cams from a wall socket using an injector along with a homeplug that links the cam to your network. Slightly extra cost though.

i'm yet to mount one of my hikvisions (reminds me i need more cat6...) so i've got it sat inside a window like this - connected with a PSU and powerline eithernet. Not pretty or all that practical as you get a load of reflections (IR is also totally useless) but i guess if it was semi permanent you could make a hood to keep reflections down

xQLZyCSh.jpg
(low quality stream as its from my phone)

Soldato
I bought and fitted a Hikvision DS-2CD2355FWD-I recently, I'm trying to get to grips with smart events e.g. intrusion detection, line crossing, however I'm still getting loads of false positives like clouds reflecting off the car, shadows when the sun is bright. Is this the limitation of this so called smart system, is it better just to record 24/7?

Associate
Or connect a dedicated PIR to the alarm input. I’ve done this on a few of mine and it works perfect. I still record 24 / 7 as I’ve got plenty of storage but the PIR nails down definitive times to look for events.

I couldn’t get any of smart event features (line crossing etc) to work accurately.

Soldato
Having thought more, i think wifi is definately my preferred option. I've seen the "Yi" outdoor camera on Amazon for £60 which seems decent and i know the indoor versions were well spoken about in another thread.

Hope im not too late here but i use the Yi outdoor camera and love it, I paid 40 pounds for the white outdoor 1080p version on prime day. Loaded a 32gb sd card and set it up and its been faultless ever since.

Soldato
So getting fed up with my swann unit and should have listened to you guys to begin with.
Can the IP hikvission ones with POE and SD cards be connected to a NVR at a later date? Thinking something like the
Hikvision DS-2CD2063G0

Associate
Hello Chaps.

I've a cheap-o QVIS DVR + 4 Camera system which was installed by a "professional" between 4-5 years ago.

Unfortunately the camera outputs are all black on the screen now since a power cut or surge a couple of weeks ago.
The DVR still powers on and all works as usual, can navigate the settings etc.

The power adapter brick that splits out to 4 power connectors to the cameras still lights up and shows a 5.4V output according to a very cheap voltmeter so I presume that is fine and it's the DVR that is the problem.

The cameras are on BNC connectors.

My question is: Can I buy any DVR that has BNC input and expect it to work? Or is there anything specific to look out for? Must it be a QVIS unit again or is it generally accepted to mix and match cameras and DVRs?

Thanks in advance.

I'd rather not have to replace the cameras, I've no complaints over the quality of them and can easily see numberplates of cars at the end of my drive etc.

As long as the replacement DVR has BNC inputs then you should be fine.

Before shelling out on a new one though, I would either get another dirt cheap camera to test on the existing DVR or a BNC to VGA adapter and connecting them directly to your monitor to make sure they work.

Soldato
Are you guys mounting external cameras high or low? I can't figure out what's Best. Low, easy to interfere with it. High, thwarted by a baseball cap.

Looking to get one over my drive now I've got an expensive car on it.

Soldato
I’m planning on fitting CCTV on my house next leave, I only need a two camera system, as there’s no realistic way to access the house from the side, so I only need one over the garden, and one over the drive.To get around the high/low problem, I was also planning on fitting a Ring video doorbell as well, so I’d have high and low coverage of the drive and the front approaches to the house.

Soldato
Hi All. Does anyone know when the new Hikvision Easy IP 4.0 cameras will be available in the UK ?
I presume you've already gone ahead now, but I cannot see the advantage of EasyIP 4, with the exception of a few smart features? Lower megapixel camera, and doesn't support "265+" like EasyIP 3. It's possible that the lack of availability and details about the EasyIP 4 cameras is because they are still being made.

Last edited:
Associate
I am looking to get some CCTV installed at home. I think I need to get a couple at the front of the property to cover the cars and front door along with the garage and windows and then a couple at the back to cover the back patios and one on the side to overlook the alleyway so looking at 5 camera in total.

I asked a few local guys to see what they had and they mentioned they do a Qvis DVR / 5MP AHD system or another a Dahua 2MP or 4MP HDCVI system. Looking through the threads not sure if this is the correct route/path as they are not IP / NVR setups.

Can anyone recommend a system that allows good day and night coverage and access via the app on my phone, tablet and maybe TV/monitor from time to time?

Should I avoid the above and look more at Hikvision?

I had budgeted about a grand but may have to spend more on an IP setup?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom