Lithium Jump Starters

Soldato
I could do with picking up a Lithium jump starter however this looks like one of those products where there's a lot of new and unfamiliar brands in the marketplace making it difficult to pick out the decent products amongst the cheaply made rubbish. A google search just turns up endless fairly typical boilerplate 'review' sites that I usually discount in the belief that they are just designed to push you towards whoever is giving them the biggest referral fee. Has anyone got any real world experience in this area and can point me towards what's good, bad or downright dangerous?

Man of Honour
Most of them can only actually handle an engine about half the "rated" specification even the better ones. Some of the cheaper ones are actually dangerous.

Soldato
I have a NOCO Genius Boost GB40, the smallest one they make. I bought it for my M5 but (un)fortunately never used it there. I have used it on my Elise however where it's been most effective, but that's a fairly low-tune 1.8L I4 not a 4.9L V8.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the responses, looks like it's going to be a toss up between the NoCo GB40 and GB70. Biggest thing it will probably have to start is a Volvo D5 (2.4L Diesel) so just need to work out how much to trust their ratings and whether I can get away with the 40 or whether I'll need to pay the extra for the bigger one and the piece of mind that it should start anything I throw at it.

Associate
I have a DBPOWER-18000mAh-Portable-Emergency-Flashlight as can be found on the popular book selling website.

Used it a couple of times, albeit on relatively small engines.
Bear in mind that diesels are harder to start than petrols (as you will see by the usually larger batteries they have) .

The one I have should be OK for a 3.0diesel although I've only used it on a 2.0tdi at most.

Soldato
I have a DBPOWER-18000mAh-Portable-Emergency-Flashlight as can be found on the popular book selling website.

Used it a couple of times, albeit on relatively small engines.
Bear in mind that diesels are harder to start than petrols (as you will see by the usually larger batteries they have) .

The one I have should be OK for a 3.0diesel although I've only used it on a 2.0tdi at most.

Seen these on Amazon as well, look good for the price but some naff reviews.

Back
Top Bottom