DAC/Amp for Console Use

Associate
Going around in circles trying to choose the above.

Will be used for PS4 and XB1 use. Mixamp ruled out as previous experience reminds me that the amp isn't particularly gutsy? Will be using with Sennheiser HD58X and AKG K712 Pro.

Been thinking along the lines of the Creative E5 or G6 - anything else around £130 I could consider (Virtual Surround not essential!).

Soldato
One of the Creative's is the best bet. You need optical and a decent amp for the K712 and there isn't really much besides Creative's portable DAC/amps that has both; at least nothing that is going to be cheaper anyway.

Soldato
Thanks - will go for the E5 then I think.
E5 lacks Dolby Digital decoding so it's good only for stereo use unless used with PC.
Sound BlasterX G6 has Dolby Digital decoding so it works fully with consoles.
Headphone output also uses same design as in internal AE-5 and its superior to old TPA6120 based ones.

Gaming in stereo with K712 would be its misuse with it being one of the best fun above neutral bass headphones for binaural sound.
Here's stereo:
https://youtu.be/d1_20T8x_OI?t=12m57s
Here's binaural sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_20T8x_OI
Listen with stereo playback settings without any effects/processing.

Associate
OP
E5 lacks Dolby Digital decoding so it's good only for stereo use unless used with PC.
Sound BlasterX G6 has Dolby Digital decoding so it works fully with consoles.
Headphone output also uses same design as in internal AE-5 and its superior to old TPA6120 based ones.

Gaming in stereo with K712 would be its misuse with it being one of the best fun above neutral bass headphones for binaural sound.
Here's stereo:
https://youtu.be/d1_20T8x_OI?t=12m57s
Here's binaural sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_20T8x_OI
Listen with stereo playback settings without any effects/processing.

Thanks - biggest gripe with the G6 is there is no software for MacOS and we don't have a Windows machine in this house - no way to change settings without setting up virtual machine on one of our devices. E5 has app control from a phone etc and Bluetooth for use with a mobile device which kind of gave it the lead for me over the surround sound. I may rethink though ;)

Soldato
Thanks - biggest gripe with the G6 is there is no software for MacOS and we don't have a Windows machine in this house - no way to change settings without setting up virtual machine on one of our devices. E5 has app control from a phone etc and Bluetooth for use with a mobile device which kind of gave it the lead for me over the surround sound. I may rethink though ;)
That SBX button on its side should enable some default settings.
(you could ask Creative's support)

And without any chance for binaural sound simulation/HRTF there just isn't need/sense for changing settings controls.
Stereo is stereo, no matter what you do, because there's no good spatial source data unlike in 5.1 input.
With good headphones it simply makes huge difference to gaming immersion.

Associate
OP
That SBX button on its side should enable some default settings.
(you could ask Creative's support)

And without any chance for binaural sound simulation/HRTF there just isn't need/sense for changing settings controls.
Stereo is stereo, no matter what you do, because there's no good spatial source data unlike in 5.1 input.
With good headphones it simply makes huge difference to gaming immersion.

Hard to argue against that :p I'll contact Creative support :) . Thanks

Associate
I just got the G6 and use AKG712's on my home cinema setup using optical DD 5.1, would recommend highly on anything sending optical. But you do need to setup the SBX profile using the drivers before hand.

PS4 can work directly over USB, but XBOX will have to use optical.

Associate
OP
I just got the G6 and use AKG712's on my home cinema setup using optical DD 5.1, would recommend highly on anything sending optical. But you do need to setup the SBX profile using the drivers before hand.

PS4 can work directly over USB, but XBOX will have to use optical.

Thank you - looks like I'll need to take it to work and hopefully be able to use a machine there to set up the software? Good to know it works well with the 712s :)

Associate
Thank you - looks like I'll need to take it to work and hopefully be able to use a machine there to set up the software? Good to know it works well with the 712s :)

Yes I used a laptop to configure it, now it's plugged into a USB power socket now it's setup to my tastes. The AMP is very well spec'ed and will drive pretty much any audiophile headphone you want.

Back
Top Bottom