Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Use Devolo/TPLink Powerline. I get near maximum speed through the TPLink 2000mbps setup.

For wi-fi, I gave up on SH2 and put it into modem mode, using my trusty Asus RT66 the connection and wifi has been rock solid for nearly a year now.

Could you link to the exact TPLink you use please? I'm desperate to get some Powerline networking in my house but put off by reviews saying they don't get anywhere near the speeds advertised.

Soldato
The rated speeds for Powerline adapters are quoted at the physical layer. There are a lot of overheads to take into account so the speed you'll see when transferring files in Windows will never be anyway near.

If you're lucky they'll be fast enough for your use case.

If you want true Gigabit speeds you need to run cables.

Man of Honour
Just on the phone to VM to cancel due to the comedy price and £3/m increase. I noticed on the automated system they instantly offered the £3 back off again for 6 months without renewing the contact. No chance :p Mine will be going up to £39 for 100mbit which is very high compared to some here paying less for quicker speeds!

Soldato
I got one call, best was £50 for 350 broadband

Popped into CPW and signed up for £44 350meg and it's getting activated the day after my current service disconnects.

Associate
Could you link to the exact TPLink you use please? I'm desperate to get some Powerline networking in my house but put off by reviews saying they don't get anywhere near the speeds advertised.

This is the kit I have:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA9020P...ine-Configuration-UK/dp/B01FFBN4MO/ref=sr_1_1

Disclaimer:
(a) This depends a lot on the quality of your electrical circuits and where your end points are on those circuits
(b) By "maximum" I meant Virgin Media maximum (I'm on the 350meg service). No-one gets 2gbps over Powerline, but this kit is consistently top2 in all the tests I can find. It's fine for streaming 4k to my TV.

Soldato
Caporegime
This is the kit I have:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA9020P...ine-Configuration-UK/dp/B01FFBN4MO/ref=sr_1_1

Disclaimer:
(a) This depends a lot on the quality of your electrical circuits and where your end points are on those circuits
(b) By "maximum" I meant Virgin Media maximum (I'm on the 350meg service). No-one gets 2gbps over Powerline, but this kit is consistently top2 in all the tests I can find. It's fine for streaming 4k to my TV.

I have that its great for ping as in gaming. However it only gets like 75 MB of my 350 MB download consistently.

Wifi on my Netgear router gets full 350 MB however horrible ping.

The best thing anyone could do is just fully network their home with at least 1 socket in each room that then could feed into a switch.

Associate
Cancelled VM after 11 months with them. Got a poor offer of £45 p/m for 100MB + Mix bundle which is the same price during the promotion lol.

EDIT: To anyone that has cancelled before, did you return the equipment (router+tv box) ?

Last edited:
Associate
Cancelled VM after 11 months with them. Got a poor offer of £45 p/m for 100MB + Mix bundle which is the same price during the promotion lol.

EDIT: To anyone that has cancelled before, did you return the equipment (router+tv box) ?

They've told me to expect a pre paid bag to send stuff back in. Not turned up yet.

Associate
When they sent me 2 hub3's by mistake and wanted one back, they were a right pain.
I waited for the prepaid bag but nothing arrived. Then they started sending me messages threatening to charge me if I didn't return it.
I must have phoned them 4 or 5 times before I finally received the bag

Associate
I have that its great for ping as in gaming. However it only gets like 75 MB of my 350 MB download consistently.
Wifi on my Netgear router gets full 350 MB however horrible ping.
The best thing anyone could do is just fully network their home with at least 1 socket in each room that then could feed into a switch.

I'd suspect it's not set up properly or you have cable/switch/network card fault.

75MB/s is more than Virgin provide (350mbps=43MB/s) and if you mean 75Mbps then that sounds like you're running at 100Mb, not 1Gb local network

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd suspect it's not set up properly or you have cable/switch/network card fault.

75MB/s is more than Virgin provide (350mbps=43MB/s) and if you mean 75Mbps then that sounds like you're running at 100Mb, not 1Gb local network

75Mbps

when i run the tp link connectivity tool thing it says they are connected to each other at much higher speeds like 600-800 however no speed test can make them run at even a quarter of that.

homeplugs are great for ping and less than 100MB connections. for bandwidth they are poor.

Soldato
Hi guys, can someone explain this to me please because its beyond me.

All of a sudden today I can't connect to wifi at home using my phone, on my Virgin router/modem. Was working fine previously. I normally use my PC over ethernet but also tested if I could connect via wifi on this and it didn't work either, meaning it must be the router.

So I phone up Virgin Media to speak to the tech support, and there is an automated message saying the following:

"Customers nationally may be experiencing difficulties connecting to their wifi at the moment....etc"

Now, how can it be possible that a NETWORK side issue, prevents me from connecting to my home wifi. How is this in any way externally influenced? I just don't get it.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi guys, can someone explain this to me please because its beyond me.

All of a sudden today I can't connect to wifi at home using my phone, on my Virgin router/modem. Was working fine previously. I normally use my PC over ethernet but also tested if I could connect via wifi on this and it didn't work either, meaning it must be the router.

So I phone up Virgin Media to speak to the tech support, and there is an automated message saying the following:

"Customers nationally may be experiencing difficulties connecting to their wifi at the moment....etc"

Now, how can it be possible that a NETWORK side issue, prevents me from connecting to my home wifi. How is this in any way externally influenced? I just don't get it.

Thanks
Have you tried restarting the router to see if the issue resolves it self?

Soldato
Evening all,
I have setup PiVPN on my rPI and I have port forwarded 1194 on the SH3 but no matter what I do it just doesn't seem to connect. Anyone got any tips or does anyone also use OpenVPN/PiVPN with Virgin Media?

Thanks

Soldato

Absolutely correct. A WAN issue on their end should no way in hell be affecting any internal communication on your LAN the two are separated by NAT. But this is the thing with VM modems these days, I just wouldn't trust ANY big corp, all big corps with any data milking potential are absolutely desperate to milk all data possible. They could be deploying some sort of virus for LAN tracking/datamining.

Based on your symptoms, someone COULD be trying to route LAN traffic through the WAN port for snooping, many large corps are now using viruses and malware maximise data collection, Microsoft is probably the biggest example.

Back
Top Bottom