Opinions on this PSU with Ryzen 2600 + GTX 1060

Associate
The following Antec PSU appears to have all I need to replace my aging but still efficiently functioning Be Quiet 530 W L7 which has given excellent service ...the 7 year old L7 handled the old Phenom + GTX 1060 with no probs so the 550W Antec should ( in theory) handle the Ryzen 2600 plus the 1060 with ease as the TDP of the Ryzen is roughly half of that of the old Phenom and the Antec is arguably a better PSU than the old Be Quiet though in fairness to the L7 it's still running perfectly and although it's showing no signs of aging, logically it's getting a bit long in the tooth and better to replace it before it fails and possibly does harm to the new mobo etc which I'm about to fit to replace my old mobo etc.

I'll use all 6 SATA connectors of the new PSU as I have a dual boot system with several internal drives and dual optical drives but other than a fan controller and card reader, nothing else is demanding and I won't be overclocking so I can't see why it shouldn't work but if anyone has an opinion I'd appreciate it before pulling the trigger.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ante...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-24m-an.html

Soldato
Hi

The Antec Earthwatts is a good unit. It is made by Seasonic and based on their Focus Gold. There is also an Antec rep on the forum @Ace Modder should you have any problems. And 550W is more than enough for an R5 2600 and GTX 1060.

Associate
OP
Cheers for that. I thought that it looked like a decent bit of kit that would meet my requirements and seems I was right.
I'd rather pay a bit extra for a decent PSU and have peace of mind than save a few £s on an el-cheapo and maybe regret it later. In fact, I'd rather stick with the PSU that's in my case now as I at least know that works reliably...it's only that it's probably getting toward the end of it's natural expected working life that makes me want to change it though I doubt the new one will give any better service.

Soldato
the Earthwatts is a good choice and if you get one, welcome to the Antec family.

BeQuiet PSU's are good quality also, I think you will be fine wiht either, but like you say the BQ unit is getting a little old, that usually not a problem.

Buying the Earthwatts or sticking with the Be Quiet is both ok in my book.

Associate
OP
the Earthwatts is a good choice and if you get one, welcome to the Antec family.

BeQuiet PSU's are good quality also, I think you will be fine wiht either, but like you say the BQ unit is getting a little old, that usually not a problem.

Buying the Earthwatts or sticking with the Be Quiet is both ok in my book.

Thanks for the reply. I think if you start with a decent quality PSU then you have the foundations of a reliable computer and like you say the Antec or BQ are good quality so I really can't go wrong either way.
My old BQ psu won't be wasted as it will used in a backup computer with the current mobo and cpu but I'd prefer a new PSU for when I get time to install my upgrades though I would trust it on the basis that if it was going to fail, it would have failed by now. I'd certainly trust it over a new cheap PSU, especially with my new upgrades.
The only components I've ever had fail on any computer over the years other than HDDs have been the PSUs on pre-built computers...they're usually pretty rubbish and underpowered so when I first build this computer in 2011, I made sure the PSU wasn't going to let me down and it hasn't.

The spec's on the Antec look very promising and comparable to the latest BQs and probably better value so I'm happy to go with the Antec this time around..plus they must have confidence in their products to offer a 7 years warranty.;)

Back
Top Bottom