• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Turing RTX 2080 Ti Owners Thread

Associate
It's a bit like modding cars, only with a somewhat different mindset (easiest analogy for me).

I don't quite understand the point of spending lots of money on various aesthetic (non performance related) mods for vehicles. If I was going to do any modification, it would be performance orientated and nothing else. Because for me, I don't spend time outside my vehicle staring at its every detail all that often, I spend my time in the driving seat and care much more how it feels to be in that seat & the feedback/emotions it offers me. I choose my vehicles based upon how they make me feel driving them & their looks is a distant consideration. I would happily drive the ugliest of things if it happened to deliver the most rewarding set of feelings where it matters most.

Pretty bad analogy IMO. A car is something that you drive in public, that a lot of people see and has traditionally been an object that is designed/sculpted to look good.

No one cares what your GPU, inside your case, inside your gaming room looks like besides maybe a few glancing moments with friends. Aesthetics of internal computer components literally have one of the smallest roles of any item in virtually any hobby.

Soldato
It's a bit like modding cars, only with a somewhat different mindset (easiest analogy for me).

I don't quite understand the point of spending lots of money on various aesthetic (non performance related) mods for vehicles. If I was going to do any modification, it would be performance orientated and nothing else. Because for me, I don't spend time outside my vehicle staring at its every detail all that often, I spend my time in the driving seat and care much more how it feels to be in that seat & the feedback/emotions it offers me. I choose my vehicles based upon how they make me feel driving them & their looks is a distant consideration. I would happily drive the ugliest of things if it happened to deliver the most rewarding set of feelings where it matters most.

For aesthetic mods, I would much prefer to just keep those funds to the side & put them towards the next change of vehicle.

Quite a lot of people spend a lot of money making their basic model vehicle look perfect to them on the outside. But when they're driving it, they don't get to appreciate it for themselves... perhaps it some form of peacocking mentality, I dunno.

When it comes to computers, I really like putting the effort into making it look nice. I like to stick my case on top of my desk, next to my monitor, even if it takes up useable workspace & once in a while I can look over and appreciate that I put that thing together and I quite like how it looks. It's different for me to the above, because I get to appreciate the aesthetic for myself and it offers enough personal reward to be worth the effort and expense.

I've known a few people who would even sacrifice the performance level of their components in order to leave more budget to make things look just right.

This wouldn't be me, if the choice was between looks and performance... I'd always choose performance.

I am not going to claim to be able to put together anywhere near the prettiest or cleanest of builds like some can and I'm not the most artistic person, but to me, it's a little bit of artistic expression that I made for myself and I'm the only one who needs to be able to appreciate it. One of the geekiest forms of art around, for sure :D

That's my reasoning at least, sounds to me that your opinion of aesthetically modding PCs is more like my opinion of aesthetically modding cars, redundant.

But I'm with the other guys... that EVGA card has to be one of the ugliest behemoths I've seen in a long time :p

Yeah good points :). And I suppose if I am honest all other things equal I would pick the more attractive part. I just would not pay more or sacrifice performance for it.
As for the car analogy
I used to have flashy cars.... Then I had a child. Now I have a 1.5 diesel quashqai :(

Permabanned
Pretty bad analogy IMO. A car is something that you drive in public, that a lot of people see and has traditionally been an object that is designed/sculpted to look good.

No one cares what your GPU, inside your case, inside your gaming room looks like besides maybe a few glancing moments with friends. Aesthetics of internal computer components literally have one of the smallest roles of any item in virtually any hobby.

I tried to base my point around the idea that one was apparently to show off to others, rather than for yourself, whereas getting my PC build it is purely for my own appreciation & some kind of difference in mindset... never mind, I rambled a lot last night while in zombie mode.

Yeah good points :). And I suppose if I am honest all other things equal I would pick the more attractive part. I just would not pay more or sacrifice performance for it.
As for the car analogy
I used to have flashy cars.... Then I had a child. Now I have a 1.5 diesel quashqai :(

Glad you got my point, haha.

1.5d in an SUV... I can't quite imagine that :eek:

Associate
Haha, done all that this morning to get in her indoors good graces :D

Cheers Fella :) I ordered yesterday because the place I got it from had stock. I did have the MSI Gaming X on order but swapped it over for the AMP

Hopefully many more like you left their MSI orders for some immediate stuff so I can finally get my hands on my Duke (in days or weeks) :) :(

Associate
Uhhh had helluva time setting up my wife's machine this morning - took out her two other GPUs (980 Ti liquid cooled and 580Ti) and her fan controller (got her a nice new fan controller as well because the other one she had was crap) put in the new 2080 Ti, rigged up all the fans, did the cable management and fired up the machine...nothing - black screen. I hadn't switched the BIOS to boot from Intel GPU and had no way to get in to the BIOS to do it - had to rip everything apart again, install the old 980Ti again to get output to the monitor and then change the BIOS. The undo everything again, reinstall the 2080 Ti and bam - working.

Now working on my machine - had to rebuild it from scratch due to a recent incident with lightning, and reinstall windows 10. Current updating Windows 10 over 4G so I don't mess up my wife's streaming over the ADSL - once windows is updated I will install the Nvidia drivers and hopefully I haven't accidentally given my wife my good HDMI cable and can still hit 60hz on my 40" 4K.

Got a nice OC out of my wife's 2080 Ti - +175 GPU clock and +700 memory. I could probably squeeze more out of it (Nvidia OC Scan gave me +177 GPU) but she was grumbling about me taking too much time so that is what she gets for now :). Managed to hit 2100MHz in Time Spy with no issues so thinking maybe 2150 might be doable (still had plenty of thermal and power available).

If she got better bin than me, that is coming out of her machine tomorrow morning at 6am when she is still asleep and going in my machine - will see how mine OC's once I finish doing all the updates ;)

At this point I am very happy I have an H100i v1 so I can plug my HX850i into it since I only have 2 USB2 headers on my motherboard :)

Last edited:
Associate
I have done some testing to see how 2080 Ti holds up to my expectations vs GTX 1080 SLI OC.

At 3440x1440 in games with weaker SLI scaling, like The Witcher 3 which scaled at 1.6x of single card, 2080 Ti is around 17-20% faster. In games with great scaling, 1.95x+, like Assassins Creed Games, Tomb Raider, Nier Automata, Shadow of Mordor, ... , 2080 Ti is at around 8-10% disadvantage. So everything turned out according to expectations, even slightly better.

Also after flashing 380W bios to my Sea Hawk clocks are sustained very nicely in games, never dropping below 2100 MHz even in very power and temperature heavy games, mostly staying at 2130 MHz 1.056V, which is my GPU core limitation because I cannot stabilize 2145 Mhz no matter what I do, so power limitations in games have been almost completely lifted by 380W bios, to the point where I actually got to know what are my core OC limitations. Benchmarks like Time Spy are still dropping clocks even down to 2055 MHz in some places, but this is meaningless.

Man of Honour
OP
Yay!!! It is here and installed. Now to play some much needed games :)

Arrived Thursday, too busy testing but finally got round to posting :)

VwrbeKP.jpg
Oh go on then.
l67jwvT.jpg
Arrived Thursday morning.

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

lMde8HM.png

Date 06/10/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, layte, Link
Date 06/10/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, Rap1D, Link
Date 06/10/2018, Make Zotac Gaming Edition, Gregster, Link
Date 06/10/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, Sc00p007, Link
Date 05/10/2018, Make Zotac Gaming Edition, Born_2_Kill_83, Link
Date 05/10/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, Strife212, Link
Date 04/10/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, inflynx, Link
Date 04/10/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, Paladine, Link
Date 04/10/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, Safetytrousers, Link
Date 03/10/2018, Make MSI Sea Hawk, krzychowiec, Link
Date 29/09/2018, Make Palit GamingPro, mrozik, Link
Date 28/09/2018, Make Palit GamingPro, Silent_Scone, Link
Date 28/09/2018, Make Gigabyte Windforce, Quartz, Link
Date 27/09/2018, Make Gigabyte Gaming, GordyR, Link
Date 26/09/2018, Make EVGA XC Ultra, spikerules, Link
Date 25/09/2018, Make MSI Duke, Smffy, Link
Date 20/09/2018, Make Zotac Gaming Edition, LegendaryDread, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your RTX 2080 Ti.

Associate
Uhhh had helluva time setting up my wife's machine this morning - took out her two other GPUs (980 Ti liquid cooled and 580Ti) and her fan controller (got her a nice new fan controller as well because the other one she had was crap) put in the new 2080 Ti, rigged up all the fans, did the cable management and fired up the machine...nothing - black screen. I hadn't switched the BIOS to boot from Intel GPU and had no way to get in to the BIOS to do it - had to rip everything apart again, install the old 980Ti again to get output to the monitor and then change the BIOS. The undo everything again, reinstall the 2080 Ti and bam - working.

Now working on my machine - had to rebuild it from scratch due to a recent incident with lightning, and reinstall windows 10. Current updating Windows 10 over 4G so I don't mess up my wife's streaming over the ADSL - once windows is updated I will install the Nvidia drivers and hopefully I haven't accidentally given my wife my good HDMI cable and can still hit 60hz on my 40" 4K.

Got a nice OC out of my wife's 2080 Ti - +175 GPU clock and +700 memory. I could probably squeeze more out of it (Nvidia OC Scan gave me +177 GPU) but she was grumbling about me taking too much time so that is what she gets for now :). Managed to hit 2100MHz in Time Spy with no issues so thinking maybe 2150 might be doable (still had plenty of thermal and power available).

If she got better bin than me, that is coming out of her machine tomorrow morning at 6am when she is still asleep and going in my machine - will see how mine OC's once I finish doing all the updates ;)

At this point I am very happy I have an H100i v1 so I can plug my HX850i into it since I only have 2 USB2 headers on my motherboard :)
Cool story bro.

Associate
So overclocking...

I am definitely hitting a power wall - I can boost core by +177 and memory +800 but I am finding that my temps are not getting higher than 77C (Founder's Edition) but I am simply running out of power - I actually score higher in Timespy with +175 & +750 than I do +177 & +800.

Still I am getting good results my highest TimeSpy today was 11958 Total (my highest graphics score was 15194) which - well lets just say it is a lot better than my R9 390X was getting ;)

Wondering if it is worth flashing the BIOS for more voltage...

Back
Top Bottom