Can we start moving dull politics into speakers' corner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So from what I'm hearing here, GD is where we mock liberals, and SC is where we mock right wingers. Perhaps we all need to spend a bit more time out of our preferred subforum and balance this out. I'm getting sick of the polarisation of politics, and ocuk has always been a place where I like to think I could see all sides of an argument (including the middle ground) and find something close to a reasonable opinion.

To an extent, I sort of agree with the OP in that posting stories that are designed to inflame people of a particular stance (whether it's SJW bashing or that ilk) doesn't actually do anything other than throw the weakest straw men to the crowds waiting to gleefully tear it apart and feel better about themselves. The daily mail links are just not positive for this community (not saying they should be banned, but we should try not to engage with them, even though they are tempting targets).

In short, if you don't like them, don't read them and sure as hell don't post in them. Let them die.

Soldato
Post more fun stuff, then watch it get removed for banality. Too many subsections make jack a dull forum.

I'm not sure it's just my perception of things but activity levels on here feel like they are a lot lower than a few years ago. You get some tumbleweed periods so I often wonder whether a lot of the sub-forums are justifiable anymore.

GD has always been good for getting attention or opinion from a large audience quickly. I know I'd not have seen a post where I ended up helping out a while back if it had been moved.

For all of its faults, GD still occasionally reminds me that despite the increasing levels of political intolerance and diametrically opposed views, people can still be decent human beings and help each other or good causes out. Makes me warm and fuzzy when that happens. :)

So yeah, more old school GD content please. I genuinely think the crap state of politics is stressing people out these days. Hardly anyone used to share how they voted years back either, it was a private thing and I quite miss that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Be careful, you'll end up on their ignore lists.

The ignore list is my pet peeve (as is blocking on social media), and is the goto solution around these parts now to keep the peace. It doesn't truly solve anything and just leaves that person to move on to annoying others.

Soldato
Lol @ people saying just ignore the threads. Do you ignore all problems in life and just let things get worse?
This, really.

Some threads turn into quite the echo chamber, so it seems almost irresponsible not to provide the dissenting voice.

------- ------- ------- ------- -------

Traditionally, mods have cracked down on humorous or creative-disruptive off-topic posts and posters. And even recently removed loads of puns from a novelty-death thread.

Ultimately, if you create an unwelcome environment for interesting posters.... you lose your interesting posters

Soldato
Magnolia, do you realise that (in GD at least) 99% of your posts are condescending put-downs. If you truly don't believe you're some kind of intelligentsia you might want to work on a more constructive posting style. If I cared to I could find hundreds of threads where you've just popped in to insult someone and left no other comment.
That's why he's been on my block list a couple of years now and it greatly improves the experience of reading the forums. And because there is never any actual content to the posts you don't even notice you are missing them because they are rarely part of the actual discussion.

Soldato
We don't like it here either. I never notice the dates and often reply to a necro'd thread. Really annoying every time.

Fair enough. Yes, an easy mistake to make. Can't they just be locked after a certain time by using computer programmings?

I'll post my gem here instead. :)

"I don't know what you mean Officer, I was only pumping my tyre."

Last edited:
Permabanned
You're worried a thread might persuade you to do something you don't want to?
No. I'm angry about people telling me I must be wrong because I'm a man, or because I'm white, or straight, or fairly wealthy, etc. I've had enough of it. Anyone perpetuation that hate is going to get resistance from me.

Soldato
No. I'm angry about people telling me I must be wrong because I'm a man, or because I'm white, or straight, or fairly wealthy, etc. I've had enough of it. Anyone perpetuation that hate is going to get resistance from me.
I can't stand it either, but sunlight is the best disinfectant. I don't advocate for censoring Islamic hate preachers either, I'd much rather they were broadcast live on every TV channel for everyone to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom