Numb bum

Man of Honour
Any fellow numb bum sufferers here? Between losing weight and my natural padding, and my previous bike (DR 800 - big single) jack hammering the Crown Jewels, I have apparently damaged a nerve in my pelvis which is causing all sorts of issues. The doctor ordered 6 months of no biking but having made it clear that I would only consider that as a last ditch option, he suggested that I may be able to compensate.

My new bike, an R1200RT is much more comfortable but I was still getting numb bum after about an hour in the saddle. I bought a new seat from Sargent which is much wider but also much firmer. It has been good at transferring pressure from the hackey sack and the tail bone, but it feels like my butt bones are now connected directly to the engine mounts due to more vibration being transferred through the firmer foam.

Next step is either padded shorts or some sort of gel seat cover. Has anyone tried either and can you report on how they work?

Soldato
How long have you ridden with the Sargent fitted ?

I find it always takes some time for my ass to get used to a new seat or new bike (specialty when there the hard firm seats)

Man of Honour
OP
Only done a few hundred miles on the new seat. Did 2 hours straight today and was surprisingly comfortable but it was all A/B road and variable speed. It seems to be the constant vibrations at motorway speeds that buzz away the feeling.

Just fitted the handlebar risers today. 20mm higher, 50mm wider and 30mm closer. Riding position is so much more natural. Will have to see if it makes much difference.

Back
Top Bottom