Painting RAM

Soldato
Most things will work but to get a good finish and prevent flaking/peeling, you'll want to prepare the surface properly.

Fine sandpaper (anything from 240 to 1200 grit) will key the surface for paint to adhere to. It'd also be sensible to thoroughly dust it and clean/degrease with white spirit, meths or similar before painting.

The radiator paint you've linked should be pretty good, I'd recommend applying coats as thin as possible with good drying time in-between :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

So that paint I have can do the job.

Don't worry about warranty they are 6yr old lol.

Can I just tape up the bottom half of the sticks and spray or do I need to remove the ram casing?

If I knew if the paint was safe I could leave it on but I dont see anything on can about being non conductive.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies.

So that paint I have can do the job.

Don't worry about warranty they are 6yr old lol.

Can I just tape up the bottom half of the sticks and spray or do I need to remove the ram casing?

If I knew if the paint was safe I could leave it on but I dont see anything on can about being non conductive.
Personally I would try to remove the heatspreaders or mask the entire PCB VERY well. Paint is generally non-conductive when dry but it's best to try not to get any on the RAM itself anyway.

Associate
OP
Ok thanks.

I got the heat spreaders off no problem. I have given it one coat and will give one more tomorrow morning. Hopefully will have a finished product after work tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Associate
OP
I will do.. i have slowly been going ocd with this pc in terms of aesthetic.. so defo show a preview after ram and new cables are fitted:)

Just need to decide if I am wall mouting my active speakers or keeping on desk.

Associate
OP
Here is some photos:

Thanks for all the help.

I have attached a preview of the setup I am building currently, I will link the full topic once I have the rest of the cabling etc installed. Really happy with the design :)

Soldato
I have painted heat spreaders many times these were my latest - You don't need to worry too much at all.

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom