Is GSync important?

Associate
I am just about to install a new EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC graphics card to replace my ageing GTX770. My existing monitor is 10 year old Samsung 24" 2443BW. It seems I need to invest in a new monitor to get the full benefit of my new graphics card.

I understand that ideally I should buy a monitor that includes G Sync, but they are about £200 more than a FreeSync one. I've read about input lag and micro stutter without G Sync, but I'm not sure how much either will be a problem for me. My budget will stretch to a G Sync monitor if necessary, but I'm in no hurry to spend an extra £200 for a tiny improvement.

I am an elderly gamer, playing mostly FPS style games, not online (my reactions are too slow these days). I just want a monitor that will have a significantly better quality picture than my existing one and will work well for the type of gaming that I do. I don't feel the need to go much bigger than 24".

Does anybody have experience of running a 1080 or similar without a G Sync monitor? How is it?

Any recommendations for a suitable monitor would also be very welcome.

My system also includes
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H motherboard
i7 4790 CPU
16GB (2 X 8GB) Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600MHz CL9
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU

Soldato
for me it has no relevance as I play to either capped 30 or 60fps.
Some games can somehow drop frames and no stutter is noticeable even with vsync not sure how, but generally speaking if for whatever reason I cannot sustain smoothness I like at 60 then I will just drop to 30.

With a 1080 if you playing at 1440p or less in FPS games and are happy to play at 60fps not 144fps then I think gsync offers no value and would be a waste of money.

Associate
I just upgraded from that very same Samsung monitor after having it about 12 years - to a 144hz Viewsonic XG2402.
After experiencing 144hz (well anything 90+ tbh) I wouldn't go back to 60hz, the difference is night and day - even Windows animations and window movement are of a smoothness I'd forgotten about from the CRT days lol!
It doesn't have G-sync, but I haven't noticed any tearing issues playing CS:GO or other games yet.

I did want to get an IPS for the superior colours vs a TN panel, but the cost of a 144hz one and the panel lottery (they all have QC issues with backlight bleed etc) put me off.
And tbh the colours of this new Viewsonic are way better than the old Sammy, so I'm fine with them.

I would go to a Currys or other PC gaming shop if you can, and take a look in person, to decide whether staying with a TN is OK for you or if you want to go IPS/VA for the superior colour/black level. I went and looked at a Dell IPS, and the difference wasn't enough to justify it for me, but some people would never go TN after having an IPS/VA.

Also, I'd wait until Black Friday week coming up, as you're bound to get a much better deal.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
With a 1080 if you playing at 1440p or less in FPS games and are happy to play at 60fps not 144fps then I think gsync offers no value and would be a waste of money.

This leaves me scratching my head... FPS certainly benefit from higher framerates, and running a 1080 at 1440p or less locked at 60fps is a crime! :p

Soldato
I understand that ideally I should buy a monitor that includes G Sync, but they are about £200 more than a FreeSync one.
My 27" G-Sync monitor was about £275 second-hand. You don't have to buy brand spanking new unless you really want to... ;)
Also, if you're concerned about things like backlight bleed, you can see what sellers' monitors are like... whereas buying a new one you never know if you're getting a bit of a dud, have to send it back, etc etc.

I've read about input lag and micro stutter without G Sync, but I'm not sure how much either will be a problem for me.
I'd say, if you've never known it, you probably won't miss it. Before I got this one, I'd go round a friend's and see the same game on his swanky 144Hz 1440p monitor - I could see the difference, but didn't really miss it when I went home to my own system.

You say you don't want to go much bigger, but a bit of that depends what resolution you're planing to play in. 1080p seems to work best up to 24", but higher resolutions like 1440p seem to be better at 27". It's not that much bigger, but again you will notice the difference.
I say this partly from my own experience, but more from friends who are also 'elderly' gamers.

Soldato
This leaves me scratching my head... FPS certainly benefit from higher framerates, and running a 1080 at 1440p or less locked at 60fps is a crime! :p

It may benefit if you have super human response times, but my statement is if you running at 60fps, not as to if one should run at 60fps. a lot of people do play FPS games at 60fps still, they are actually also the majority of FPS gamers to play at 60fps or below.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
It may benefit if you have super human response times, but my statement is if you running at 60fps, not as to if one should run at 60fps. a lot of people do play FPS games at 60fps still, they are actually also the majority of FPS gamers to play at 60fps or below.

I don't doubt that the majority of FPS gamers have 60Hz monitors, but I suspect this is because many are still using older monitors. If buying now, I doubt many FPS gamers would purchase a new monitor limited to 60Hz, especially people on a forum like this.

Associate
Yes especially if you are sensitive fps drops and screen tearing! If you play with v sync on then go for it that way if you dropped below 60 with vsync off and gsync on you’d not notice the fps drops. Playing with vsync on and dropping below 60 makes me feel sick. I’m that sensitive to fps drops. For me adaptive sync tech is a game changer.

What isn’t worth the price is the gsync tax over freesync, for what is essentially the same product...

Associate
I just upgraded from that very same Samsung monitor after having it about 12 years - to a 144hz Viewsonic XG2402.
After experiencing 144hz (well anything 90+ tbh) I wouldn't go back to 60hz, the difference is night and day - even Windows animations and window movement are of a smoothness I'd forgotten about from the CRT days lol!
It doesn't have G-sync, but I haven't noticed any tearing issues playing CS:GO or other games yet.

I did want to get an IPS for the superior colours vs a TN panel, but the cost of a 144hz one and the panel lottery (they all have QC issues with backlight bleed etc) put me off.
And tbh the colours of this new Viewsonic are way better than the old Sammy, so I'm fine with them.

I would go to a Currys or other PC gaming shop if you can, and take a look in person, to decide whether staying with a TN is OK for you or if you want to go IPS/VA for the superior colour/black level. I went and looked at a Dell IPS, and the difference wasn't enough to justify it for me, but some people would never go TN after having an IPS/VA.

Also, I'd wait until Black Friday week coming up, as you're bound to get a much better deal.

Just out of. Interest what graphics card do. You pair with the xg2402 monitor?

Last edited:
Associate
A GTX780 overclocked to roughly 780 Ti level
I have a big enough backlog of older games it can hit 100-144 fps at full settings on for now, will be after a 980 Ti or 1080 next year for newer stuff though

Great, how do you find the nvidia card paired with a freesync monitor, is there much tearing?

Soldato
I'm not justifying the Gsync tax, but reading forums and reviews gives a clear message that GSync is better executed that Freesync.

On the whole it is... the range is certainly better on most G-Sync monitors, only kicking in at 48hz on the majority. If it has LFC that helps, but that can introduce lag so not exactly ideal. Besides, if you're PC gaming in the 30FPS range, just get a console lol!

Freesync 2 does give G-Sync a far better run for its money, but there are like 3 monitors which meet Freesync 2 + LFC requirements right now (all Samsung), and they have issues anyway. As more monitors are released, the balance may swing, but you still need a beefy AMD GPU to get the most out of 1440p+, and that's obviously lacking.

Soldato
Complex really as it's a personal thing.

G sync is wonderful. As I'm sure freesync is.

Personally just go gsync and enjoy. As games become more demanding over the next 5 years your card will remain relevant as you'll not suffer from fluctuating frame rates as much, and if you did longer term you can turn some eye candy down a tad.

Back
Top Bottom