Winter Gear / All Weather Gear

Associate
Got that feeling this winter's going to be another cold one, so figure it's time to replace my ageing textile jacket / bottoms, I haven't used my bottoms for at least 2 years, last winter I just suffered through, as the bottoms got rather baggy, and uncomfortable after a bit of use.

I need something with removable liner for commuting year round, and waterproof. I know I could go and look at / try some gear on, have done that in the past, and will do that, I'm just looking for recommendations of what you like / is long lasting / good quality so I have a few things to go and try on for comfort.

As for budget, I don't really have one, but I'd like to not spend more than about £500 for the pair unless there is something that's really worth splashing out on. So, what do you recommend?

Soldato
HG synthetic touring kit - i’ve likely done about 100k in the bottoms (45+ miles a day, year round, over 4 years), still waterproof, gets a little chilly on long rides - at -3c wind chill is about -18c at 70 ‘ish’ so I can’t complain, also cheap. If you are doing lots of miles in winter, heated clothing is the difference between feeling like you’re soaking in a warm bath and shivering.

Soldato
Splash out on Gore-tex and if not then whatever you want and waterproof overs.

The thing about internal removeable waterproof layers is that the jacket and pants remain incredibly wet.

Depends of the length of your journeys too I guess, I ride for an hour at a go so constant rain and you're drown. Shorter trips and you can get away with it more obviously.

Soldato
One thing I regret is not getting goretex. There's no point in changing my kit now because it does the job, but if I were to start over I'd definitely go for goretex all round.

Soldato
Only done a couple of winters, in my 11 odd years of riding, but hitting ice on my old R1 and freezing my *** off in minus figures, convinced me to get a yearly 'winter banger' to get me through to Spring.

If I were to do it again though, I'd personally be looking at heated grips, and maybe a heated jacket - my textile jacket is only a cheap £100 Weise one, which is shower proof at best - I overcame that limitation by buying a cheap (£15) hiking waterproof layer, which I wear beneath the jacket. Grips would be lush, as I have never been able to keep my hands warm after about 20 minutes of riding in minus figures.

Man of Honour
I wear an under armour coldgear baselayer, furygan waterproof jacket with thermal liner, coldgear long johns, hood kevlar jeans, dianese goretex boots, neck tube and headed gerbing gloves when I'm into the depths of winter commuting. Toes get a little chilly after 50 miles on the motorway but not enough to need heated insoles.

That setup has done me fine in miles of snow and it's plenty of layers so I can chop and change.

Associate
OP
I have heated grips, on max they don't burn through my winter gloves, and the gloves hold the warmth.
I wear long johns, and in the really cold weather a chest base layer.

As for gore-tex, good shout I had forgotten about gore-tex as it's all thrown into the textile category. I have noticed though that a lot of them are gore-tex inner lined or whatever, cheeky blighters.

Looking at A stars gore-tex stuff, it seems reasonable, plenty of armour / option for armour, and full gore-tex none of this removable gore-tex liner nonsense.

Soldato
I tend to drive a car when there's ice / snow on the floor, but otherwise I'm happy to ride the bike. I have Rev'It Textile gear which is Goretex, and I can that year-round in pants and a t-shirt without feeling the cold at all. The only cold point is my hands, as it is for most riders in the cold spells.

I find my textile gear still takes ages to dry out if it gets a proper soaking, so I've got a rain suit as well to keep most of the rain off when I know it's coming, just purely so it dries faster.

Back
Top Bottom