Delidding 4790k, services?

Associate
Hi

I'm far too ham fisted to attempt to delid my 4790k. Do OCUK offer this as a one off service or perhaps we have forum members that might offer this type of service?

Soldato
Pretty sure OCUK do not offer this service.

If no one on the forums will do it, search on the Bay for "DELID & RELID Service".

*I have not used this service, so cannot say how reliable it is*

Associate
Personally just buy yourself the deliding tool from ocuk and just do it. I done my sisters i5 4670k and 19 celcius degree temp drop. However, I was lazy and didnt stick back the IHS so it is being held by the retention bracket. Took me approx 30 minutes as the silicone was the hardest thing to remove. Just take your time and you will be fine.

If a were you I wouldn't trust anyone from Bay too many things to go wrong. I sold few hardware and once I got completely different motherboard... I couldn't believe it and Bay took the side of buyer as this was my only 6th sale (That was £60 lesson). If you had 1000 posts you could have access members market to ask if anyone would do it and Im not sure if anyone would reply here (?forum rules)

Soldato
Have to agree with SamyBoy. The Bay option is very risky and i personally would not use it. I did read that someone on these forums was going to use it, but they changed their mind and bought a delidded CPU from OCUK instead.

OP, what are your temps at the moment? Maybe just needs a repaste and case filters dusting.

Soldato
I'd be happy to do it assuming forum rules allow so. But I'd still recommend you do it yourself - I tried a 3D printed delid tool but ended up using a small metalwork vise. £10 for two part epoxy glue and TG Conductonaut, and can now do it on any CPU I feel like. Worth the investment.

Associate
OP
I've watched a few more videos and feel a bit more confident with it but still concerned about my lack of fine detail work. I have been lurking too long since 2005 that post count should be a lot higher by now! Got 1700+ on bit-tech :) https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?members/kosch.17687/

It seems the most tricky bit is adding the liquid metal compound to the die. I have read you can use a non liquid metal has long as it has a high viscosity so that can help reduce risk.

Have seen in various places you can also get machined copper replacements for the IHS that help drop a few degrees. I'm looking to extend the overclock and reduce overall fan noise by lowering RPM needed via this process.

Associate
I wouldn't use Ebay - you might get a different CPU back :) I ended up buying a de-lidding tool and doing it myself. At least you know it's done right. Watch a few videos, take your time and you'll be fine. For best results use liquid metal for the die and only use a very, very tiny blob for spreading

Associate
OP
@Olly Did you reseal yours or just dab a bit on the corners to keep it in place. I was thinking of using V-tech-Silicone-Instant-Gasket-Maker as you can buy it for about £3.50. Any chance of a tool rental? :)

Plan to test the delidding & pasting first on a celeron1150 I used to run in my microserver.

Associate
Yes, just a small dab in each corner, I used high temp gasket sealer, got plenty left. You're welcome to borrow it, it's the DER8AUER one they sell on here :) drop me a PM. I'll try and find the video I watched but the guy cuts up an old credit card to remove the excess gunk

Associate
OP
Yes, just a small dab in each corner, I used high temp gasket sealer, got plenty left. You're welcome to borrow it, it's the DER8AUER one they sell on here :) drop me a PM. I'll try and find the video I watched but the guy cuts up an old credit card to remove the excess gunk
Awesome, will drop you a line.

Associate
Yes, since around Haswell it's been considered necessary on hotter chips for overclocking. It's practically standard for the 8700k for example.

Ah I see, well considering i'll have an 8700k soon and I want to OC it, this is new to me lol. Anyone know of a good youtube video to use for reference? (from start to finish) so I don't balls it up.

Soldato
I would buy a delidding tool if i was gonna do my chip, im sure it will come with instructions but if not a simple youtube search of the tool you buy would find a video guide im sure.

Back
Top Bottom