Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Hi guys, can someone explain this to me please because its beyond me.

All of a sudden today I can't connect to wifi at home using my phone, on my Virgin router/modem. Was working fine previously. I normally use my PC over ethernet but also tested if I could connect via wifi on this and it didn't work either, meaning it must be the router.

So I phone up Virgin Media to speak to the tech support, and there is an automated message saying the following:

"Customers nationally may be experiencing difficulties connecting to their wifi at the moment....etc"

Now, how can it be possible that a NETWORK side issue, prevents me from connecting to my home wifi. How is this in any way externally influenced? I just don't get it.

Thanks

I expect Virgin pushed out a firmware update that's goosed wifi connectivity.

Yet another reason I put my Virgin SH into modem mode and run my own router/wifi

Associate
75Mbps

when i run the tp link connectivity tool thing it says they are connected to each other at much higher speeds like 600-800 however no speed test can make them run at even a quarter of that.

homeplugs are great for ping and less than 100MB connections. for bandwidth they are poor.

Not true - I get 35MB/s out of mine easily pulling game updates from Steam - 290mbps - well over the 100mb mark.

Permabanned
Gah, connection has been awful for several weeks, going down several times a day. :mad: Worst period of bad connectivity I have had in 20 years with Virgin(NtlWorld).

Almost tempted to bin them off but can only get crappy slow fibre, sub 50meg :(

Associate
Virgin finally called me on my mobile 10 days before contract being terminated.
He started asking me to confirm personal details for "data protection", when i refused he seemed genuinely baffled. I told him he had cold called me, and i'd no idea who he really was... We were in a standoff and we ended the call.

In this day and age i cannot believe they cold call you and ask you for personal details before they will engage with you.
I looked up the number after the call ended and it looks like it was genuinely from virgin.

I've already got a contract with sky starting soon, so not over fused and feel they need to sit in time out for 18months ;)

Caporegime
Not true - I get 35MB/s out of mine easily pulling game updates from Steam - 290mbps - well over the 100mb mark.

It all depends on the layout of your home and the wiring.

My downstairs is separate from upstairs. My router is downstairs and my PC is upstairs. They are on different circuits. So it has to go through the breaker board which kills performance.

For me the ping is great. Bandwidth is okay. I honestly would be better off downgrading to 100MB but I wouldn't save much if anything. I pay like £36 for 350MB they would want around £32 a month for 100MB so it makes zero sense to downgrade especially as the upload comes in handy with all my cameras and other devices, etc.

Soldato
I think I'm paying £42 for 200Mb with Talk Weekends. Never use the landline so will go for a lower package if there is one.
Happy with 200Mb, uptime and latency so don't want to leave but will give retentions a call over the next few days.

Soldato
Finally got my rentions call

£39pm £50 credit vivid350 and some phone package.

Not sure how you got it at £28 ^^^
I was paying £40 for the 350Mb BB, Basic Phone and Basic TV package. When the guy called he checked and saw that we never really watched the TV and had never made a phone call (I only took them so that I could get the 350Mb for that price). I asked how much if we drop those two and just kept the BB and he came back with £28 /month.

I was umming and ahring over that at first and then he offered a £50 credit to seal the deal with no price rises for 18th months though it is a 12 month contract. At least you're aware of what they can do.

PS. He would have done it with phone package for £35

Soldato
I was paying £40 for the 350Mb BB, Basic Phone and Basic TV package. When the guy called he checked and saw that we never really watched the TV and had never made a phone call (I only took them so that I could get the 350Mb for that price). I asked how much if we drop those two and just kept the BB and he came back with £28 /month.

I was umming and ahring over that at first and then he offered a £50 credit to seal the deal with no price rises for 18th months though it is a 12 month contract. At least you're aware of what they can do.

PS. He would have done it with phone package for £35

39 is still less than the 44 it was last year so I'm still paying less

Soldato
Cancel Virgin? Tricky to cancel a service I've not got :)

Currently with Sky, was OK with paying £42 for Virgin 350Mb but obviously if its available for £28 I'd rather pay that.

Cheers,
There's a Virgin employee that has posted several times and he has done mates rates for new customers only which will apply to you. I think that is the best deal you might get but I am not sure it will be as good as £28 (I think was lucky) but it's worth a try to see how you get on.
See here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32113122

Soldato
There's a Virgin employee that has posted several times and he has done mates rates for new customers only which will apply to you. I think that is the best deal you might get but I am not sure it will be as good as £28 (I think was lucky) but it's worth a try to see how you get on.
See here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32113122

Thanks for the info, will send a speculative PM later.

Soldato
How long did it take? Also, was it to your mobile or landline?
They will call which ever number is registered on their system so I would check that. I thought it was mine number but turned out it was my girlfriends and they had called her a few times before without her answering before I released who it was. They call normally within a week.

Back
Top Bottom