Which 40k

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Ive only just returned to it and picked up the Dark Imperium box set - but I was after space marines so it was a natural choice. Also comes with a load of books to go with both armies and wider.

Associate
OP
That's the one I ended up coming home with aswell would have preferred a marine vs ork set tho managed find it 25 quid cheaper than games workshop prices which is a plus

Soldato
You can always eBay off the unwanted models, although I guess prices for those might be low due to others doing the same. Or use them as painting practice.

You can now safely paint strip plastics.

Soldato
Another great way to start an army or expand is the start collecting boxes. You generally get an HQ choice, Troops choice and either Elite or Heavy choice all from £50 which becomes £35 ish if you buy from a discount retailer and for the most part the unit choices in those boxes are pretty decent.

Soldato
Another great way to start an army or expand is the start collecting boxes. You generally get an HQ choice, Troops choice and either Elite or Heavy choice all from £50 which becomes £35 ish if you buy from a discount retailer and for the most part the unit choices in those boxes are pretty decent.
I bought two of them for 40k and they're gathering dust on my shelf :(
I really do need to get them on eBay!

Commissario
Oh yes.

They're good for expanding your army as well, as the units in them are usually ones you can find space for in your existing force and often it's cheaper to buy a start collecting box than just two of the units in them:)
IIRC they average about £60-65 worth of models for an RRP of £50, which means in reality you're paying ~£42.
For example the Tau one has a crisis suit team (RRP£45), a Firewarrior team (RRP £30) and an Etherial (RRP £10), which means you effectively get the FW and Ethereal free.

I've ended up picking up each of the Daemon "start collecting" sets despite having a reasonable size mixed daemon force already, and the Tau one despite having 2x of the old Battleforce (the £100 sets), the original "rapid insertion force" set (IIRC 9 crisis suits*), and various other bits :).
I'm currently planning on using the newer versions of the suits in the SC set as the squad leaders for my Suit teams :) (I've got about 18+ crisis suits).

*Which probably explains why I found an unexpected 8 part painted Crisis suits a few weeks back.

Soldato
Oh yes.

They're good for expanding your army as well, as the units in them are usually ones you can find space for in your existing force and often it's cheaper to buy a start collecting box than just two of the units in them:)
IIRC they average about £60-65 worth of models for an RRP of £50, which means in reality you're paying ~£42.
For example the Tau one has a crisis suit team (RRP£45), a Firewarrior team (RRP £30) and an Etherial (RRP £10), which means you effectively get the FW and Ethereal free.

I've ended up picking up each of the Daemon "start collecting" sets despite having a reasonable size mixed daemon force already, and the Tau one despite having 2x of the old Battleforce (the £100 sets), the original "rapid insertion force" set (IIRC 9 crisis suits*), and various other bits :).
I'm currently planning on using the newer versions of the suits in the SC set as the squad leaders for my Suit teams :) (I've got about 18+ crisis suits).

*Which probably explains why I found an unexpected 8 part painted Crisis suits a few weeks back.

Yeh they are fantastic value, I didn't realise the Tau one was such good value. The last one I bought was the Skitarii box which is a Dunercrawler (£40), Skitarii Rangers (£23) and Tech Priest Dominus (£22) so really good value too. Infact I need another Dunecrawler and Rangers to build towards a 2000 point list, buying another starter box and selling the Tech Priest makes it a bargain!

I'm just waiting for GW to release a Death Guard box, hoping for it to be around Christmas or sometime early next year.

Permabanned
Coming back, I'd look to get into kill team instead as a way in. Less models to paint, rules are good and it plays nicely.

If it's the full tabletop game you want, start collecting boxes are the way to go.... *looks over at entire cupboard full of unpainted plastic...*

Soldato
Oh yes.

If you look around, you can get Start Collecting boxes for £37.50.

Soldato
Coming back, I'd look to get into kill team instead as a way in. Less models to paint, rules are good and it plays nicely.

If it's the full tabletop game you want, start collecting boxes are the way to go.... *looks over at entire cupboard full of unpainted plastic...*

I've recently moved rooms at home so I'm currently not in the same room as the shelves with all my models on so I don't have to look at that pile of shame :D:p

Soldato
You gotta be tough with yourself, I run a pretty much strict, don't buy more until they are painted regulation.

Yeh I've been the same, not necessarily driven by the same strictness and more managing my finances better, but I've only bought the Renegade box this year and that is it as I've got so much to get through there is no point buying more.

Sorry to the OP for going off topic slightly :p

Commissario
I've tried to stop building them until I'm ready to paint them. Makes me much more likely to get some colour on them.
I tend to go the other way a bit, I get them built intending to batch undercoat/basecoat them then never manage to get around to it and then say "I'm not buying any more until I get some painting done".

one of the ongoing jokes in our whatsapp group is "I'm not buying any more this month/year/until i've finished this box/army".

Back
Top Bottom