**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Associate
seems you haven't played games the last 30 years.
one of the worst assumptions without even playing the game yet
You need help

Excuse me! keep your opinion to yourself next time, I started with an Atari console to a PC been playing over 30 years I now play Assassin greed odyssey when I have time.

Man of Honour
Well, I've now watched about 4 hours of gameplay footage from a few different people and I'm more disappointed than I was before because there's a lot of things I like in it. It still has quests, characters (albeit dead and existing as holotapes and terminal entries) and stories. The crafting system looks better to me, more complex and requiring recipes and maintainence. Even more reason to go scavving for knowledge and for scrap!

If it was a normal Fallout game, I'd have pre-ordered it and pre-ordered all the DLC, sight unseen, as I did with FO4. I'd like to play that game. But this isn't that game. It's a party-orientated PvP MMO. You can turn off most of the PvP, but even then it's still a party-orientated MMO. You can play without a party, but it's balanced for a party and it's still an MMO. There's no solo game. Also, there's no dialogue, which makes sense as there aren't any NPCs you can talk with. And there are no mods, so even if you don't want to add anything or change anything you're still going to be stuck with annoying UI issues such as the deliberately broken Pipboy display. That's a pointless annoyance I was very glad to be able to mod away in FO4 and now it would grate on me even more to be forced to return to it.

My main fun in FO4 is settlement building. Which is much less fun when there aren't any settlers and when any other player can destroy your settlement. Sure, Bethesda have included something that does part of what the Settlement Transfer Blueprint mod does for FO4 so you can perhaps rebuild it somewhere else (or maybe not if it has been destroyed, the details aren't clear) but unless it copies the terrain as well (which would make no sense at all) your settlement can't be the same as you built it. Also, I expect additional items for settlements to be available only by paying very high prices for them in real money through the creation club paid micro-mods system and without much choice or maybe some also through the atom points system (building parts are easily classed as "cosmetic items") and probably requiring amounts only plausibly attainable by paying real money for them. It's rather unlikely that Bethesda will just ignore successfully preventing mods other than those they sell, given how much they've been trying to sell their micro-mods for some time now. They are the $5 horse armour people. Twice.

So I'll watch Oxhorn's comprehensive videos on every location in the game to see the stories and skip the game itself unless they do release a moddable single player version of it in the future.

Associate
Fast travel costs caps which you earn / find in game and can't buy from Creation Club, it makes perfect sense for this type of game and is tailored towards you having to explore the map.

Atom is the premium currency which you also earn in game but can also buy with real money and can be spent on cosmetics only, in game earning will no doubt be limited to try and encourage spend but as far as I'm aware nothing else has been made public.
Can you please detail where you have seen what you are claiming please as I've been following this game closely and haven't seen or read one syllable alluding to your statement.

This is what I read.
In an interview with Xbox's Major Nelson, Bethesda's Pete Hines spoke in depth about microtransactions and how they will function in-game. Aside from using the traditional bottle caps, players can choose to buy the other currency, Atoms, with real-world money. Atoms can be earned in-game however, rewarded after completing certain tasks and quests in the game.

Xbox One owners will be rewarded 500 Atoms at the beginning of the game

Soldato
I got a Beta code from amazon after a pre-order, which I could cancel before the game ships if the beta flops.

My brother and I have just done the same, love Fallout, and would be awesome to play together, but not sure if we like where this seems to be heading, so if we don't like it after 2 weeks then it's getting cancelled

Man of Honour

Player mods might be a thing in a year's time. Maybe. Or maybe not. Not very relevant. Maybe a few people might hear about it if it happens. Maybe a few people might make mods for it if it happens. Maybe. Possibly. To a small extent.

I know that most Bethesda games have a very long lifespan (Morrowind is still being sold and played 16 years after release - I rebought it recently myself) but a large part of that is due to them being fully fleshed out single player highly moddable games. FO76 is neither of those things, so it's fundamentally different.

If FO76 was released as a single player, offline, moddable game then there would have been thousands of mods available within days and tens of thousands within weeks because many FO4 mods would have been converted to it and many new mods would have been made for it. It's a completely different situation.

A year from now, few people will care. Any FO76 players who still exist (if there are any) will be people who want a PvP MMO, so they won't be wanting mods because mods unbalance a PvP MMO. I have a mod that makes a weapon do 10x damage, you don't, I win. What's the point of playing that, for either of us?

The only way player modding could become relevant is if Bethesda release an offline FO76 remade for SP (rebalanced and with the addition of settlers, at least). Which they could do, but probably won't.

Hopefully they'll licence the upgraded engine to another dev who'll make another Fallout game with it. It does seem to be significantly improved (not just in graphics).

If FO76 pacifist mode works well enough and the price drops to a tenner or less, I might buy it. It looks good enough for me to be willing to pay a small amount to try soloing a game designed and balanced for a party and install yet another launcher. It won't have the ongoing play value of FO4 (no settlers, no settlement building mods) or even FO3 or FO:NV (no new quests and areas from modders), but I'd be interested enough in story and exploration to play it long enough to fully explore the map.

Soldato
I just don't see the appeal of this game (for me).
Ditto :(

Its a shame as well Bethesda do not listen either. The map size would work well if they could rework it into SP only or Solo only minus the PVP & MP aspects. Then over time introduce some NPC's it would be enough content to get the massive Fallout4 player base something else to buy into while Bethesda finish Starfield & start work on Fallout 5 (already confirmed as an SP only traditional Fallout entry).

I guess the well over $750M Bethesda got in sales in 2015 was not enough for the greedy people who own & fund the development cycles :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Ah it's PvP?

I was kinda hoping for a PvE game which is what i thought this was originally billed as.

Basically I was hoping for a fall out game we could do coop in really

Man of Honour
Ditto :(

Its a shame as well Bethesda do not listen either. The map size would work well if they could rework it into SP only or Solo only minus the PVP & MP aspects. Then over time introduce some NPC's it would be enough content to get the massive Fallout4 player base something else to buy into while Bethesda finish Starfield & start work on Fallout 5 (already confirmed as an SP only traditional Fallout entry).

I guess the well over $750M Bethesda got in sales in 2015 was not enough for the greedy people who own & fund the development cycles :rolleyes:

It does seem bizarre given the huge financial success of FO4, but presumably Bethesda think they can acquire a different market. Console players, apparently, as they're not used to freedom of modding and as far as I know, there's not much in the way of survival MMOs on console. It's obviously not going to appeal to the same people as FO4 - despite what Bethesda have implied there has never been a huge number of Fallout players clamouring for a PvP MMO in Fallout clothing. Especially not this one, where the world isn't even persistent in multiplayer terms. If two people have camps next to each other one time, they might not the next time. It's a bit of an odd hybrid of SP and MMO and I'm not convinced it'll work well as either.

It won't even have been a relatively cheap development compared to a full SP game - they've done almost as much as they would have done for a full SP game.

Ah it's PvP?

I was kinda hoping for a PvE game which is what i thought this was originally billed as.

Basically I was hoping for a fall out game we could do coop in really

It looks to me like a hybrid of PvP and PvE too. The game is clearly designed to be played in a party against gameworld enemies and for sharing/trading resources, i.e. PvE co-op, but it's also clearly designed for PvP.

Maybe this semi-Fallout mashup will be popular and maybe it'll flop, but it's clearly not my cup of tea. More like tea mixed with chocolate and garlic :)

Oh well, I haven't started Morrowind yet. I vaguely remember playing the beginning a fair few years ago, wandering off, getting slaughtered by vastly more powerful enemies, getting my attention caught by another game and never getting around to going back to Morrowind. Once I sort out what mods I can install to make it look better without changing the gameplay (annoyingly, Morrowind Sound and Graphics Overhaul also changes gameplay), I'll give it another go. Also, I might eventually finish a FO4 settlement, as opposed to starting one, changing my mind, starting to rebuild it, get sidetracked to another settlement, rinse and repeat :)

Soldato
It does seem bizarre given the huge financial success of FO4, but presumably Bethesda think they can acquire a different market. Console players, apparently, as they're not used to freedom of modding and as far as I know, there's not much in the way of survival MMOs on console. It's obviously not going to appeal to the same people as FO4 - despite what Bethesda have implied there has never been a huge number of Fallout players clamouring for a PvP MMO in Fallout clothing. Especially not this one, where the world isn't even persistent in multiplayer terms. If two people have camps next to each other one time, they might not the next time. It's a bit of an odd hybrid of SP and MMO and I'm not convinced it'll work well as either.
Console players are not embracing it either the 70,000 combined PS4+XB1 pre-order numbers released show that! 4 times less than Fallout4 at this stage apparently they also dropped the pre-order price by £5 which is a sign they are getting worried about player numbers.

It won't even have been a relatively cheap development compared to a full SP game - they've done almost as much as they would have done for a full SP game.
This is why its such a bad management decision to not make an SP mode as well at the same time to at least have it as a fallback insurance policy!

Oh well, I haven't started Morrowind yet. I vaguely remember playing the beginning a fair few years ago, wandering off, getting slaughtered by vastly more powerful enemies, getting my attention caught by another game and never getting around to going back to Morrowind. Once I sort out what mods I can install to make it look better without changing the gameplay (annoyingly, Morrowind Sound and Graphics Overhaul also changes gameplay), I'll give it another go. Also, I might eventually finish a FO4 settlement, as opposed to starting one, changing my mind, starting to rebuild it, get sidetracked to another settlement, rinse and repeat :)
Still replaying Fallout4 up to 424 locations now think that is all of them except for the unmarked ones not shown on the map but have all of those as well!

Still hoping Bethesda see commonsense & decide to make a Solo mode for 76 it would be cheaper to do that & admit their wrong than continue down a path many players will not support. The last Beta test started for XB1 in North America only yesterday & some of their feedback is not favourable either (many of the gfx are toned down from Fallout 4 especially texture quality, dodgy uneven FPS even on Xbox1X, lack of things to do Solo, combat especially gets a lot of stick due to no VATS anymore, strange hybrid of gameplay ideas not working well together and many other negative comments). I hope the Beta testers continue to give this negative feedback it must make Bethesda understand they are pushing a concept this close to release which is not going to be well received its still not too late to admit that delay & try to make 76 a mega Solo game which will have a chance at making a LOT more than 76 (which is ALL Zenimax seem to care about nowadays anyway :( ).

Back
Top Bottom