What's the matter with my Speed Triple?

Soldato
Morning!

So...I've had my triple a few months now. When I first got her she would start immediately. Recently however, I now have to wait maybe 15-20 seconds before she'll turn over.

This is obviously some electrical glitch, and I can only assume it's to do with the fuel pump/priming or something. When you turn the ignition on, you hear the fuel pump priming and when it's finished the bike will turn over and start. Up until then the starter button does nothing (i.e. doesn't attempt to turn over).

Anyone seen anything like this before? The bike still starts and runs perfectly, just with this 15s delay!

2015 Speed Triple :)

Soldato
OP
Does the pump always start priming as soon as you turn the key or does it vary by a few seconds each time?

I'd be checking out the kill switch, clutch switch and side stand switch first.

Varies a few seconds. I was thinking it wasn't switch/sensor related...as I can be sat there with my thumb on the starter, no other changes, and as soon as the fuel pump stops (15 secs or so) it fires and starts immediately. Could be wrong, I'm no expert :D

I think its normal to wait for the fuel pump to prime before turning over no? the issue is I guess priming should take 2-3 seconds not 15-20?

Yes correct, it used to be ignition on, by the time I've depressed the clutch, put the side stand up and moved my hand to the starter it's primed and starts. Now it takes 15 seconds or so.

You should always wait until it's primed before starting it.

Also, check that the battery has full charge.

It happens when cold, or hot. I can stop it after a 30+ mile ride, try to immediately restart it and it takes 15 seconds. Could that still be battery related?

Soldato
I would expect the starter to be laboured if the battery was going to be the issue as that is more of a strain than the pump priming. If it's taking more time to prime could it be a kink or blockage in the fuel line? But that would probably also be a problem when riding fast?

Soldato
OP
I would expect the starter to be laboured if the battery was going to be the issue as that is more of a strain than the pump priming. If it's taking more time to prime could it be a kink or blockage in the fuel line? But that would probably also be a problem when riding fast?

No issues whatsoever when it's started, redlines fine with no hesitancy *shrug*. I'm minded just to put up with it :p

Soldato
Might be worth asking on a dedicated Triumph forum or Facebook group, see if any other owners have had similar problems, or ask a local triumph dealer? could be a faulty fuel pump, could be a clogged strainer within the pump or something like that.

Soldato
I still think it's worth checking the battery. I've had all sorts of issues with a low battery including the one you're describing on my Bonneville.

Transmission breaker
Don
How does the priming system work on the bike?

Is there a pressure regulator that decides when to stop the priming? Is it ECU controlled or handled by a relay? I would look at those parts. I presume the standard fuel pump is doing the priming, so it could perhaps be that the relay controlling it is sticky or faulty when it first kicks off.

Also, is there an inline fuel filter, could a clogged up filter increase the pressure needed to prime the system?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wow all that sounds pretty complicated. Is there anything I can tap with a hammer?

I think I'll take it to someone who knows what they're doing :D

Soldato
I remember when I had a cbr1000 I used for 7 winters and the front brakes used to stick and because I was a lazy **** back then I would just thrash the calipers with a rubber hammer :D

Back
Top Bottom