Sound setup for both PC and PS4

Soldato
My son is after a PC and PS4 gaming setup, each device having it's own monitor on a single desk.
I'm just wondering the best way of going about this regarding the sound and speakers. He currently just has his PS4 connected to a TV.
I've seen some monitors with speakers but they all get terrible reviews for sound quality so looking at how I would go about setting up this with speakers.

Thanks for any advice.

Soldato
If you are just talking about speakers, then it's a pretty easy solution. Some speakers have 2 inputs and will output sound from whichever input they are receiving from. If you're considering headset audio as well, then that becomes more complicated, or more expensive.

Controller pad and HDMI aside, I think the only other audio output from PS4 is optical, so you'll likely need a DAC (digital to analogue converter) to which the speakers will connect. Some monitors have an audio output jack to which external speakers or headphones can be connected, which you could use, but the quality from those outputs is generally not very good though to be honest. Using a DAC connected to the optical out will provide much better quality.

Some speakers do have a DAC built in, but the choice is small and possibly expensive; depending on what you're looking at spending. A cheap DAC means you can connect any stereo speakers or 2.1 speakers.

It really depends what you're looking to spend and what kind of space you have for speakers. I suppose his age comes into it as well. If he's very young, he may not care so much about sound quality as someone older might do, just as long as it's loud and decent enough.

Creative T20 or T40 is a good place to start. Small footprint, 2 inputs (one rear, one front) and pretty decent quality for their size. If he's very young then they'd be ideal really.

If he's older and can appreciate better sound quality, then if space is not a problem, something like Edifier R1600T III might be a good choice. Like the Creative's, they have 2 inputs; both on the rear. Although they do sound better than the Creative T20/40, their improvement lends itself more to music use than gaming I'd say.

2.1 speakers are also a possibility, but very few have anymore than one input, so you'd need to hook up a switch box or splitter cables.

Soldato
I've seen some monitors with speakers but they all get terrible reviews for sound quality so looking at how I would go about setting up this with speakers.
Small size and sound quality is extremely hard to achieve combination, no matter if speaker is integrated into something or usual tiny plastic box/can.
Sound quality wise (unless amount of bass=sound quality) monitor speakers are certainly good.

But if wanting good gaming immersion, meaning surround sound, requirements just go up in both cost and space/positioning demands.
If headshape is close to average, good headphones and binaural sound simulation is actually lot easier way for good immersion.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info.
After what you've said Marsman, I think the simplest solution is to look at monitors with audio out and if needed look at upgrading in the future.

Back
Top Bottom