Am I very wasteful with my money or is it the norm these days

Caporegime
lets say i have to now buy 5 healthy drinks for the week (no chemicals or artificial sweeteners) - easily £5. 5 snacks another £5. now the best bit. i now have like £6-£7 to make 5 sandwiches. bread - £1. leaving me £5 for a weeks worth of toppings. there is no way i'm getting chicken, prawn, avocado, etc as well as salad, mayo, butter, etc for £5 altogether. i would be lucky to get a pack of ham and a stick of butter for £5.

They do have an economies of scale advantage when it comes to meat, but to say you could only get ham and a stick of butter for £5 is hilarious. Go to Lidl/Aldi and be amazed at what £5 can get you. Sandwiches are eve less justifiable if you have access to a microwave, bulk cook meals give you delicious, varied food and a fraction of the price.

you could say drink water instead. i already do that at home and throughout the day at work. so the coconut water is a treat plus it's also an electrolyte which is well needed if you are drinking lots of water. the times i have brought my own food in (leftovers) i have felt the need to go out and spend at least £1-£2 just on a drink. as drinking just water all day every day is boring.

If you are really worried about electrolytes (rather than scrambling for justification of over-priced coconut water), you would save more if you got yourself some electrolyte tablets. They work out to be around 20p, come in a variety of flavours, and can ever be carb-free.

Whilst I agree that the Boots meal deal is probably the best of the meal deals out there, I would not say it is a valid way to save money.

Associate
you could say drink water instead. i already do that at home and throughout the day at work. so the coconut water is a treat plus it's also an electrolyte which is well needed if you are drinking lots of water. the times i have brought my own food in (leftovers) i have felt the need to go out and spend at least £1-£2 just on a drink. as drinking just water all day every day is boring.

I doubt 200ml of coconut water is staving off water poisoning and electrolyte imbalances. Its predominant osmotic agent is sugar, it has 3 meq/l Na+ and ~60meq/l K+ (Which is high). So in effect it is a hypotonic solution after the glucose has been shuttled off into cells.

To put it into perspective human blood has ~ 135-145 meq/l Na+. I think coconut water would contribute to exarcebating electrolyte imbalances, especially hyperkalaemia in someone who needed to limit potassium intake.

Edit: I have to thank you for your comment, I found it very interesting to compare coconut water to say commonly used IV fluids like 'normal' saline or hartmanns.

For saving money- Live like you are still earning your first paycheck. My wage has temporarily doubled this last 18 months and will be halving once I re-enter speciality training in February, luckily I have not inflated my living 'standards'. Still live on £1.5k per month and bank the rest, just my saving rate has doubled.

Permabanned
I always thought of Boots meals deals as cheap rubbish I only buy if I'm super hungry at a train station/airport. I couldn't imagine eating them for lunch every day, that would suck.

I used to make big batches of curry and take that into work, with the added bonus of ******* everyone off when I stuck it in the microwave. It also cost less than £3.30 a day for a proper meal, not some measly sandwich you've convinced yourself is rather good (it's not).

Drink tea. Coconut water is for morons.

I've managed to go through my whole life without thinking about electrolytes.

Caporegime
I doubt 200ml of coconut water is staving off water poisoning and electrolyte imbalances. Its predominant osmotic agent is sugar, it has 3 meq/l Na+ and ~60meq/l K+ (Which is high). So in effect it is a hypotonic solution after the glucose has been shuttled off into cells.

To put it into perspective human blood has ~ 135-145 meq/l Na+. I think coconut water would contribute to exarcebating electrolyte imbalances, especially hyperkalaemia in someone who needed to limit potassium intake.

Edit: I have to thank you for your comment, I found it very interesting to compare coconut water to say commonly used IV fluids like 'normal' saline or hartmanns.

For saving money- Live like you are still earning your first paycheck. My wage has temporarily doubled this last 18 months and will be halving once I re-enter speciality training in February, luckily I have not inflated my living 'standards'. Still live on £1.5k per month and bank the rest, just my saving rate has doubled.

so is 500ml of coconut water per day good or bad? coupled with say 2-3 litres of water intake.

Caporegime
I always thought of Boots meals deals as cheap rubbish I only buy if I'm super hungry at a train station/airport. I couldn't imagine eating them for lunch every day, that would suck.

I used to make big batches of curry and take that into work, with the added bonus of ******* everyone off when I stuck it in the microwave. It also cost less than £3.30 a day for a proper meal, not some measly sandwich you've convinced yourself is rather good (it's not).

Drink tea. Coconut water is for morons.

I've managed to go through my whole life without thinking about electrolytes.

it's not just sandwiches.

i usually take the sushi option. which is rice, salmon, prawns and some veg. they also do a sushi snack option too.

i also sometimes swap the raiders for some carrots and hummus or carrots and avocado, etc.

i'd like to see someone come up with salmon and prawn sushi, etc and the rest for £3.

i could also swap the coconut water for a fruit juice (high in sugar i know) or a iced tea

Back
Top Bottom