**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Associate
They aren't the same, but at the same time, I guess it's a good thing that they look similar in your eyes, as how can the notch really be an issue then?
It's not, when you cannot see it. lol.
If you walked in to CPW and saw it displayed like that (Notcheless) I bet you would go to the sales assistant and say "Excuse me but do you have the Pixel 3XL on display matey" :)
Or at least have to get closer to spot the difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
My question is, when watching full screen vids or playing games what is the 'effective' size of the 3XL screen? It's 6.3" according to Google but that obviously includes the ears. Are we working with a 6 inch screen the same as the 2XL? Albeit a better screen if the early unboxings are to be believed.

Soldato
So can any other of the 'Android is just copying Apple' folk explain this perhaps? Or maybe they will just accept, that Apple and Android manufacturers just do it to go around the sensors and speakers on the front and that wasn't Apples invention?
This has been discussed to death already but just for fun...do you honestly think android phone makers have the essential phone in their minds when they decided adding a notch to their phone?

Soldato
This has been discussed to death already but just for fun...do you honestly think android phone makers have the essential phone in their minds when they decided adding a notch to their phone?

Also, you're saying everyone saw Essential do it and thought 'well that's silly...' then saw Apple do it and thought 'That is genius!' Really?

Soldato
I think it all boils down to basically 10 years of building up the worlds most valuble company.

Essential wanted an all screen phone, fair enough. Good idea, bold move. They didn't have the clout to get Samsung to develop custom panels to achieve this. The solution was a chin and a notch. That's not an all screen phone, it's a compromise. Fair enough, their business model is such that if they choose that path they have to compromise.

Apple probably saw it, and though we've always wanted to do an all screen phone, let's see how well we can pull it off. Samsung made the bendable oled panels and moved the connector to the rear. They only did this because apple would be ordering millions of screens (hence my first comment, apple have the money and the buyers). The result was an all screen display minus the notch. The notch is wide due to the IR cameras for faceid.

Then follows all other android handsets with similar sized notches to apples (not essentials....until the teardrop 6t) not because of faceid, but just because. They also have the chin due to the connector. I get the point about moving the notifications up a bit, but I stand by my early comments about design. It's poor design. I'm not saying it's not usable, or serves a purpose......but it's poor design.

I always think if you are going to do something, do it right or don't bother. The black out feature would solve all these problems. Notifications move up to give more screen space, and you achieve good design (well, 99% good design you still have odd sizes speaker grills).

Having front facing speakers gives a reason for the chin, not just because they cant develop bendable panels. So fair play on that front.

I do think that now HTC are involved the pixel 4 xl will look really good.

p.s. The smaller pixel 3 is stunning :)

Last edited:
Associate
meh i quite like the notch to be honest,:eek: liked it on the Huawei P20 Pro as well... think its just nice for a change.

I'm contemplating swapping my note 8 for one of these as I never really seemed to fully get on with the note 8, i think it is because thSamsungng just feels slightly too small in the hand width ways. Shame really as the Samsung note 8 is a great phone with a bad battery.

i much prefer a flat slab feel like the moto x style or xperia ultra. I would love google to do a modern HTC Dream phone that thing was brilliant, keyboard + trackball + touchscreen:cool:

Associate
Dated, How please ??
They look the same to me. Brightness is higher on the 3XL

Edit**Yes looks great btw. Because it looks like the 2XL now which is a splendid phone :D

Calm yourself down petal

The screen looks better and with the ears blacked out the status bar icons and time look like they are using otherwise dead space, even if it is an illusion.

I own a 2xl as well so it's not like I've got anything against it. But obviously my opinion goes against the usual narrative so....

Soldato
Just been watching a few more XL videos, and I have to admit....I'm kinda warming to it.

You know like if you have an ugly child, you still love it. Maybe the XL is ugly but in a lovable way? either that or I'm feeling sorry for it. Sympathy vote?

Tims video on YT is quite good

2s9410z.jpg

Soldato
Just been watching a few more XL videos, and I have to admit....I'm kinda warming to it.

You know like if you have an ugly child, you still love it. Maybe the XL is ugly but in a lovable way?
Nahh it's still ugly. Also the 5T is like at the limit for my hands and a smart phone the 3XL being bigger would just be a catastrophe for me. I'd be guaranteed to drop or break it lol.

Back
Top Bottom