VPP755 (the AquaComputer D5) res tops?

Soldato
I see the eisbecher 150/250mm. Considering there's a few other tops that work ok with it (listed below) what's (generally going to be) my cheapest option for a res-top for it? There's plenty of cheap reservoirs if not and... I'm not generally one to give a fig about looks so.. that's completely possible.

Just trying to work out my options.

Got offers of a 6 month old Ek D5 for £40 or the VPP755 for £35 new. Choice, choices :D

Compatible Pump Tops for VPP755 pump.
Alphacool Eisdecke D5 Top – wet test pass, pump vertical and horizontal.
Barrow D5 Top – wet test pass, pump vertical.
Bitspower D5 Mod Top V2 – wet test pass, pump horizontal.
Bitspower D5 Mod Top “S” Model – wet test pass, pump vertical.
EK-XTOP Revo D5 – wet test pass, pump vertical.

Man of Honour
When I was deciding on which D5 to buy earlier in the year it came down to a choice of three for me, the EKWB D5, Alphacool VPP655 and Alphacool VPP755. I quickly discounted the 755 due to it only being 350lph while the 655 and EK were 1500lph. The 655 is listed incorrectly as 350lph at many places but this is wrong. It even states 1500lph on the box. It came down to price in the end as the VPP655 was the cheaper of the two. I paired it up with the Watercool Heatkiller D5-TOP which looks great and is a very nicely made top. While I was deciding I remember that the 755 is supposed to be compatible with all current D5 blocks but I read some reports of leaks with certain tops which was another mark against it. The description still states the following though:-

Taken from Alphacools website
Alphacool is announcing the next evolution in pump technology with the VPP755 Eispump. This pump, technologically a completely new development, throws out all the old problems with the well-known D5 pumps and retains only the compatibility to all current D5 tops and brackets.

Out of your two choices I would go for the EK.

Soldato
When I was deciding on which D5 to buy earlier in the year it came down to a choice of three for me, the EKWB D5, Alphacool VPP655 and Alphacool VPP755. I quickly discounted the 755 due to it only being 350lph while the 655 and EK were 1500lph. The 655 is listed incorrectly as 350lph at many places but this is wrong. It even states 1500lph on the box. It came down to price in the end as the VPP655 was the cheaper of the two. I paired it up with the Watercool Heatkiller D5-TOP which looks great and is a very nicely made top. While I was deciding I remember that the 755 is supposed to be compatible with all current D5 blocks but I read some reports of leaks with certain tops which was another mark against it. The description still states the following though:-

Taken from Alphacools website

Out of your two choices I would go for the EK.

Glad I read this, had no idea the 755 new pump was about 1/3 flow... what’s that about.

Do you know if the current EK pumps are better than those around 4-5 years ago, I gave two which I feel are a bit loud and whiny so was about to swap out in my new build.

Man of Honour
Not sure about the current EK pumps as I only started looking at D5's around 10 months ago. For the past 13 years I have been using my pair of trusty Aqauextreme 50z pumps but got fed up with the whine they make as they were the noisest part of my system. The VPP655 is silent even on setting 5!! The current EK D5 vario seems to be slightly upgraded compared to a standard D5 like my VPP655. Mine has a 3.7m head height while the EK is 3.9m. Everything else such as flow rate, wattage and speeds are identical though.

Soldato
@pastymuncher I find it a little hard to believe the VPP755 has a quarter the flow rate of the 655 when it's meant to be the replacement model. Do you reckon it's lost in translation on the spec sheets? Typical Vs maximum or something?

I've got a VPP755 which seems fine but I haven't any other D5 style pumps to compare it to.

Man of Honour
I just did a google for reviews on the VPP755 and it would appear that the 350lph is very wrong. The weird thing is that it's listed as that on Alphacools own website. I found a couple of reviews.

Extreme Rigs
which is based in the states I believe recorded it as 3.32 gallons per minute. I presume that's US Gallons which works out to around 754 lph.

Thermalbench reviewed it and looks like it was around 4.2 gallons per minute. Again, I presume that's US Gallons which works out around 953 lph.

Big differences in flowrates there but it's clear that it is capable of much more than 350 lph. One thing I did find out when searching for reviews is that this pump has quite a high failure rate and one guy had his fail in a week which is pretty shocking. Despite Alphacool's claims there are also several D5 tops that it is not compatible with so if you buy this pump be very careful about which top you pick for it.

Soldato
Yep - I checked all the issues/complaints before getting it, I believe Alphacool released a V2 quite quickly after those.

It's definitely a lower flow rate than the 655, the trade-off is it claimed to be quieter, use less energy, etc. People seemed happy with that.

The compatibility and failure rate are fairly risky factors TBF. Mine has stopped 3 times, but each time unplugging and replugging made it start again. Not sure if that's an issue with my cabling or the pump.

Back
Top Bottom