*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Caporegime
I wouldn't have thought you'd need Plex to have external access unless you're doing Plex web. I have Plex myself, albeit a 'Plus' member or whatever it's called, but from what I recall you can use it to manage Music and play it into Sonos. I can take a look tomorrow evening if you'd like?
That would be awesome if you could. Perhaps its just a limitation of the free account? Though - I downloaded the media server, and went through the steps to allow Sonos to access it and it required external web access.

Plex needs to authenticate with their servers, hence the requirement for external access.
Ah I'd written the above before reading your post. This is an annoying step!

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
There's a lot of uproar about it on reddit. I'm sure it's possible to have an internal client always have access with some fiddling, but they changed it a while back so that all clients need to log in and go through their server.

Caporegime
Yeah its dead in the water if there's no way round it.

I'm not that opposed to scrubbing some meta data from my files. Does seem a terrible sort of hack though.

Soldato
So I recently got a Sonos 1 for music in our living room. At the time I also wanted to improve my tv sound.

Recently I have been reading up on the Beam and it sounds spot on for me. However would it make my One redundant? I imagine it can do everything the One does and also work with the TV. So should I sell the one and put the money towards a Beam?

I'm not too interested in multiroom but could always put the One in the kitchen of I do keep it but we would barely use it there I bet

Caporegime
So I recently got a Sonos 1 for music in our living room. At the time I also wanted to improve my tv sound.

Recently I have been reading up on the Beam and it sounds spot on for me. However would it make my One redundant? I imagine it can do everything the One does and also work with the TV. So should I sell the one and put the money towards a Beam?

I'm not too interested in multiroom but could always put the One in the kitchen of I do keep it but we would barely use it there I bet

The Beam will do all you need.

Soldato

If you're not bothered about multi-room, there are probably better soundbars for the price.

Soldato
Ahh ok. I just saw rave reviews and assumed it must be worth a look but I didn't consider this angle. I'm not against using multiroom but the we are in a fairly small house and can't really see much use for that for us. I was just looking towards it as a 2 birds with one stone thing by way of removing the One I have already and getting something that sounds just as good but also covers TV use.

I'll take a look into better systems for the money, appreciate the advice

Soldato
You can always get a 2nd Sonos One in addition to the Beam so you have 5.0 sound.

Ha. That's an option but I'd be looking at £600 at that point ;) I don't think I'd really benefit from that as our sofa is right up against the wall so the rears would literally be right next to us? I did ponder the idea mind

Man of Honour
The surround works fine in my bedroom with the speakers next to us. My speaker in the kitchen is always on as background radio and the occasional late night party,

Soldato
Ha. That's an option but I'd be looking at £600 at that point ;) I don't think I'd really benefit from that as our sofa is right up against the wall so the rears would literally be right next to us? I did ponder the idea mind

That's one of the draws of the ecosystem - you can get that extra speaker next year. I've a beam and two play one's in the living room and they sound great.

If you're not bothered about multi-room, there are probably better soundbars for the price.

Depends on whether you listen to music. Sonos has incredible support for streaming services, as well as being well tuned for both music and TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I think I do want a beam too! I could just sell my One and buy 2 Play:ones later as rears. But as my sofa is against the wall, would it really work as surround sound? Would the speakers be too close to me if that makes sense or does the system set the volume in a way that works well depending on where you sit in relation to the speakers?

I can do a sketch :D

Only reason I'd thought of changing the One out for Play Ones is that I would then end up with 3 Alexa devices in one room? But I imagine that's not really an issue?

Man of Honour
Just wall mount them, they'll be fine. I have it like that in my bedroom and it works well. Surround speakers are supposed to be to the left and right of you anyway.

Soldato
Hi guys. I've been toying with the idea of improving my TV sound by getting either a sound bar or speaker set up.

I saw glowing Reviews for the Beam but have seen some suggestions that for the money I could get a much better system?

I do currently have a Sonos One so I guess if I got the Beam I would be 1 step away from using a set of Ones as rears in a wireless surround sort of set up.

I'm basically here for suggestions and advice. It will be used for gaming via a PS4 and general use for TV and Movies

Thanks in advance, in terms of budget as I was looking at a beam at £400 let's say no higher than that as even that's almost a bit much for me but happy to spend it if it's really that good

*Should add if bought at a store my partner works at I get 12.5% off making the Beam £350 same applies to alternatives if bought there

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom