• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
After a week and not less than 70 benchmarks in 3dmark I realized that this is exactly the problem. I lowered the floor voltage to 970 and p7 to 1010 and in 3d mark timespy where it does a maximum 60/70 and fps the temperatures have dropped a lot:

60 gpu 65 hbm and 72 hotspots

When I open a game or loop Heaven valley where the fps increase to 140+ the temperatures return very high, despite having the same values in mv and mhz:

66 gpu 71 hbm and 77 hotspots

Wanting to play at 144hz 1080p I'm afraid that there is not much that can be done to reduce the temperature apart from reduce performance to unacceptable levels or putting the card under liquid cooling.
Have you tried just putting the target temperature to 80c then you should be able to allow the card to run at those temps without the clocks lowering.

Associate
Ignore the hotspot. That is internal part of the Vega 64. I have a custom watercooled card and goes through the roof.
87C is safe for hotspot.

What model is your case? Have you tried to use the system with the side panel removed to see if you truly have very bad airflow in there? How many fans blowing air in do you have?
Is your card new or used? is used, there could have been on a mining rig, and you probably need to replace the thermal paste as it will have been solid like cement by now.

Can you use very fine tweezers to remove the stickers from the two screws on the back and check the thermal paste?

Have you tried the second BIOS configuration? Have you tried those settings here? How does it perform?

My case is a corsair carbide R275, i have not tryed to open the case becouse its in a very closed space anyway:

https://ibb.co/ePa2W9

As you can see the big tower cpu cooler mugen 5 doesn't help also. I don't think there is something wrong about the card anyway, i am a bit worried about the temperatures but i'm happy with the vega 64 so far i get 120 - 144 fps in Destiny 2 after the reinstall,and this game is very demanding also for 1080ti. With freesync on its realy smooth.

I have seen you settings, as I have read many pages of this 3d, the only question is: the 1100mv on the hbm voltage is higher than the p6 and p7 voltage, and on many forums, even here i have seen that having the p6 p7 lower than the floor voltager has zero effect: http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/ICDP/media/cGF0aDovVmVnYSA2NCBPQ196cHNleW1jbWVkai5wbmc=/?ref=

I can not test at the moment but those settings effectively lower temps?

Have you tried just putting the target temperature to 80c then you should be able to allow the card to run at those temps without the clocks lowering.

I can try this, but if I increase the temperature target should not the fans go slower and thus increase the temps? At the moment this is my Wattman:

https://ibb.co/eqsSyp

Last edited:
Soldato
I can try this, but if I increase the temperature target should not the fans go slower and thus increase the temps? At the moment this is my Wattman:

https://ibb.co/eqsSyp
Basically it means if you set the target at say 60c and the card cannot stay under 60c, it will start to throttle the clocks until it gets under 60c. If you set 80c it's easier for the card to stay under that. If you try to find a point of equilibrium where by the card can maintain almost a constant temperature at a set fan speed while leaving the target temp higher for the off chance it gets hotter, your golden. hope that made sense. It does to me :p

Soldato
My case is a corsair carbide R275, i have not tryed to open the case becouse its in a very closed space anyway:

https://ibb.co/ePa2W9

As you can see the big tower cpu cooler mugen 5 doesn't help also. I don't think there is something wrong about the card anyway, i am a bit worried about the temperatures but i'm happy with the vega 64 so far i get 120 - 144 fps in Destiny 2 after the reinstall,and this game is very demanding also for 1080ti. With freesync on its realy smooth.
The 275R is a case more on the compact side, so it lack the air volume as some of the other bigger cases, and the huge CPU cooler itself also take up the space and reduce that air volume further. Looking at the picture, I am suspecting that all the heat inside the case pretty much rely almost entirely on the single 120mm fan rear exhaust fan for getting out of the case. Can't really tell if you have addition two fans at the top from the picture as exhaust, but it wouldn't be of much help anyway with the way CPU cooler orientation toward the rear directing pretty much all the heat from the graphic card and the CPU toward the rear exhaust.

If I was to improve the airflow for this case, I would probably orientate the CPU cooler to blower toward the ceiling of the case, and have TWO fans at the top as exhaust, that way there will be 2x 120 mm fan for exhaust the heat rather than 1x 120mm at the rear. There's also option to mount a 120mm fan filter for the rear and have a 120mm fan as intake to feed more cool air for the CPU cooler, so effectively there will be cool air coming in from the two sides (front and rear) while the heat is being exhaust through the top 2x 120mm.

Associate
The 275R is a case more on the compact side, so it lack the air volume as some of the other bigger cases, and the huge CPU cooler itself also take up the space and reduce that air volume further. Looking at the picture, I am suspecting that all the heat inside the case pretty much rely almost entirely on the single 120mm fan rear exhaust fan for getting out of the case. Can't really tell if you have addition two fans at the top from the picture as exhaust, but it wouldn't be of much help anyway with the way CPU cooler orientation toward the rear directing pretty much all the heat from the graphic card and the CPU toward the rear exhaust.

If I was to improve the airflow for this case, I would probably orientate the CPU cooler to blower toward the ceiling of the case, and have TWO fans at the top as exhaust, that way there will be 2x 120 mm fan for exhaust the heat rather than 1x 120mm at the rear. There's also option to mount a 120mm fan filter for the rear and have a 120mm fan as intake to feed more cool air for the CPU cooler, so effectively there will be cool air coming in from the two sides (front and rear) while the heat is being exhaust through the top 2x 120mm.

Yes, I have an additional 120 fan in exhaust on the top left corner, but you are right the majority of the heat is expelled from the rear fan.

I really like the idea of change the CPU cooler orientation, when I mounted it I thought about creating an air tunnel for the CPU, I had a gpu blower back then. But now with this video card I think it's a realy great idea, thank you !!

In the weekend I try to see if there is enough ram clearance to change the orientation of the cpu cooler. Or maybe I see if I can find an AIO at a good price.

Soldato
Yes, I have an additional 120 fan in exhaust on the top left corner, but you are right the majority of the heat is expelled from the rear fan.

I really like the idea of change the CPU cooler orientation, when I mounted it I thought about creating an air tunnel for the CPU, I had a gpu blower back then. But now with this video card I think it's a realy great idea, thank you !!

In the weekend I try to see if there is enough ram clearance to change the orientation of the cpu cooler. Or maybe I see if I can find an AIO at a good price.
Another thing I have noticed is that your PC seem to be sitting on a desk surrounded by a cupboard or few pieces of boards. Regardless of what they are, they are surround the PC too close to it. I can totally see that the heat being exhausted from the PC case being recirculate back into the intake fans of the case. So for further improving the temp of the PC, you might have to have a think about possible re-positioning your PC to somewhere more open, so that the exhausted heat will not (or at least there's less) get suck back into the case via the intake fans.

Associate
Another thing I have noticed is that your PC seem to be sitting on a desk surrounded by a cupboard or few pieces of boards. Regardless of what they are, they are surround the PC too close to it. I can totally see that the heat being exhausted from the PC case being recirculate back into the intake fans of the case. So for further improving the temp of the PC, you might have to have a think about possible re-positioning your PC to somewhere more open, so that the exhausted heat will not (or at least there's less) get suck back into the case via the intake fans.

Unfortunately thats the only spot where i can put the pc case at the moment. Certainly it get realy warm and in winter I will not need heating in this room :D

Soldato
Unfortunately thats the only spot where i can put the pc case at the moment. Certainly it get realy warm and in winter I will not need heating in this room :D
Nothing wrong with warming up the room (I barely need to put my room heating on with my previous 290x :p).

There's always the option of taping a ducting hose to the case intake or exhaust to direct cool air into the case or the heat away from the case, but of course that would look ugly as hell :D
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...y-Cold-Air-Duct-Batman-!!!-Walmart?styleid=36

Last edited:
Associate
Basically it means if you set the target at say 60c and the card cannot stay under 60c, it will start to throttle the clocks until it gets under 60c. If you set 80c it's easier for the card to stay under that. If you try to find a point of equilibrium where by the card can maintain almost a constant temperature at a set fan speed while leaving the target temp higher for the off chance it gets hotter, your golden. hope that made sense. It does to me :p
Fortunately for me my 56 behaves in this way where as if I lower the target, the core clock goes higher even if it can't quite reach it.

With a 59 target my temps are 63c and core clock is consistent at 1620 Mhz. If I raise the target to 72 and up then the clock is consistently under 1600 Mhz.
high%20fan_zpsgxnouoln.png

Associate
Nothing wrong with warming up the room (I barely need to put my room heating on with my previous 290x :p).

There's always the option of taping a ducting hose to the case intake or exhaust to direct cool air into the case or the heat away from the case, but of course that would look ugly as hell :D
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...y-Cold-Air-Duct-Batman-!!!-Walmart?styleid=36

Woha this is realy ugly for sure... Maybe is realy better a desk fan helping remove the hot air as Figo said.

Associate

Scary thing.... I think I remember that post wayyy back in the day.... parents changed their washing machine and I butchered the old dryer duct trying to replicate something similar. I was on a 9800Pro and Athlon 64 back then that I built with the computing teacher.. who bought us parts for "educational use, sans VAT" ...

Turns out I didnt actually need to do it... Scotland or the 9800 Pro are not exactly the warmest things in the world to begin with :p:p

I felt baller back then... Now I just feel old.

Soldato
Scary thing.... I think I remember that post wayyy back in the day.... parents changed their washing machine and I butchered the old dryer duct trying to replicate something similar. I was on a 9800Pro and Athlon 64 back then that I built with the computing teacher.. who bought us parts for "educational use, sans VAT" ...

Turns out I didnt actually need to do it... Scotland or the 9800 Pro are not exactly the warmest things in the world to begin with :p:p

I felt baller back then... Now I just feel old.
Those were the days. We could get a card that's like 100% faster than the one in the previous gen fastest card without breaking the bank. The lack of competition in the gaming graphic cards industry space has led to now Nvidia selling their fastest graphic card like Apple selling their Macbook Pro or flagship iPhone :o

Soldato
Those were the days. We could get a card that's like 100% faster than the one in the previous gen fastest card without breaking the bank. The lack of competition in the gaming graphic cards industry space has led to now Nvidia selling their fastest graphic card like Apple selling their Macbook Pro or flagship iPhone :o

is not NV only but Intel now....... Did you look at the last HEDT lineup? It's like the TR4 doesn't exist!!!!!
(not commenting on the mainstream as is a f joke).

Fortunately for me my 56 behaves in this way where as if I lower the target, the core clock goes higher even if it can't quite reach it.

With a 59 target my temps are 63c and core clock is consistent at 1620 Mhz. If I raise the target to 72 and up then the clock is consistently under 1600 Mhz.
high%20fan_zpsgxnouoln.png

Excuse me sir, but Vega 56 peasants have their own discussion :p

(muaahahahah :D)

Yeah if you raise the temp limit high, it will start throttling heavily due to heat, more heavily than if you set the target to 70C or 65C
Same applies to minimum fan speed. If you set the min fan speed high but not so high as you hear it, it will bounce less maintaining a higher airflow without the screaming spikes.

Imho V56 with fine tuning should be able for higher speeds, as the majority of the boards are the same as with the vega 64, but due to less cores, they can run cooler and performance be close.
Have you tried to back up your 1st bios and update it with one from a vega 64? Assuming you have reference design board and not some custom PCB?

Soldato

Hah! I never needed to put on the heating with my old 290X either! That was a great card.

Associate
It's too quiet in the 56 thread Panos so I gotta check here sometimes.:D

I absolutely love this card and have recently sent back my 1070ti as it was so boring to use.

I have no intention of sticking a 64 bios on it for now. This is my second one with has Hynix memory on it where as my first one had Samsung.

The newer card clocks the same memory wise but has a higher consistent core clock.

Anyway I will get outta here.:p

Soldato
so i asked a while back if my 650 psu would cut the mustard with a vega64 and the general opinion was 'maybe'....as a result i kind of let the notion of upgrading my 380x slide, but now i see the red devil on today only @449 and the temptaion is building again.

someone tell me that there's no point ;)

rest of the system specs are
Ryzen 1600 @3.7 or 3.8 (can't remember which)
gaming on a lg monitor @1920x1080 144hz
650 superflower platinum psu

come on, tell it's silly getting a vega64 for the above!

Back
Top Bottom