Quad channel memory question?

Associate
My mobo has 8 slots for ram right? It can support 64gigs (asus x99-a) .. same as my cpu(5820k)
Nowwwww... everyone online states that quad channel = 4ram slots populated right...
So i dont get it...
If i fill up every slot.. then i get dual quad channel???
I always assumed that 2 slots filled = single channel ...

Also with haswell-e .. i got a L binned chip... whats the averageish memory overclock i can hit.. there is no point me buying 3600mhz sticks just having to refund them...

Does haswell e scale with higher memory frequency?

Soldato
You can have two sticks of ram in one channel, like on Z87/Z97 boards for instance. I believe it's called ddual rank. So 4 sticks in a dual channel mobo would be "dual channel, dual rank".

Might be bank instead of rank, thinking about it...

Associate
OP
Ye i got a dual rank stick right now.... its not aiding performance much... crysis 3 stutters bad with one stick of ram

Man of Honour
dual rank/single rank ram doesnt matter

1 stick - single channel
2 stick - dual channel
4 stick - quad channel
6 stick ???
8 stick - quad channel

Associate
OP
dual rank/single rank ram doesnt matter

1 stick - single channel
2 stick - dual channel
4 stick - quad channel
6 stick ???
8 stick - quad channel

So if i populate 8 slots right...
4 will be quad channel and the other 4 will be ...nothing???

Soldato
Jebus.

Memory_Module_Config_M.jpg

Not your board in particular but just to illustrate. 4 sticks, 1 in Channel A, B, C and D would be quad channel

Soldato
Your manual will state which slots belong to which channel. You want to populate all 4 channels to get the most from your system. Crysis stuttering could be down to GPU or even storage, I doubt it's memory bandwidth related

Associate
OP
Your manual will state which slots belong to which channel. You want to populate all 4 channels to get the most from your system. Crysis stuttering could be down to GPU or even storage, I doubt it's memory bandwidth related
Ye i ran the game on its lowest settings e.c.t still got huge stutters..

Ill try it again soon,

Ye i think my manual said i have to populate all slots... dont remember

Don
Ye i think my manual said i have to populate all slots... dont remember

I've linked your manual above - You need to use slots A1,B1,C1,D1 for 4 sticks in quad channel.

Between single and dual channel is at best a 10% improvement for gaming - between dual and quad I expect the difference would be even less, certainly won't be the cause of the stuttering

Associate
OP
I've linked your manual above - You need to use slots A1,B1,C1,D1 for 4 sticks in quad channel.

Between single and dual channel is at best a 10% improvement for gaming - between dual and quad I expect the difference would be even less, certainly won't be the cause of the stuttering
Honestly.. it could be the fact i used the cracked version of the game.... or windows 10 insider build bugs... there were a lot

Thanks for linking me by the way...
Could u check my psu question thread too if u get time thanx

Back
Top Bottom