Hyper V woes - no internet on host machine

Associate
Hello,

I have a bit of a strange problem and could do with some help because I am rather clueless.

The order of events go as follows.

- I enabled Hyper V to learn about Windows Server and Active Directory.
- I created a few VMs and messed around with various things.
- I used it for a week, with no problems. My VMs were on their own private network not connected to the outside world.
- I didnt use it for a couple of days.
- I went to use it tonight and Hyper-V was gone from the PC. *Poof* Vanished.
- I think maybe a Windows Update disabled it for some reason?
- Anyway, I go to enable Windows features and re-enable it.
- My PC does the relevent things and reboots.
- When I get back into Windows Hyper-V is there, but now I cant connect to the internet.

I have a look around but I haven't really got a clue what I'm doing so I disabled Hyper V again and now I am here.

I really don't know where to begin in solving this issue. Its annoying me how it worked and then without any input from me it doesnt.

When I first used it, I just enabled it in the same way and it just worked fine straight away. I assume its something to do with the fact that it was disabled and then re-enabled, but yeah - stumped.

Can anyone help me?

Caporegime
Go into Hyper-V manager and then the Virtual Switch Manager. Find whatever virtual switch corresponds to the network adapter in your PC, and make sure "Allow management operating system to share this network adapter" is ticked.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the reply squire.

I tried to do what you said but there is a problem.

Ncy84eO.png
lWtxeSK.png

I cant change anything on there, its just greyed out.

Soldato
Check the IPv4 settings on the Ethernet adapter, as this hasn't been used to create a new switch in HV it's your gateway to the internet.

The default switch is a new feature needed for the Quick Create feature, ignore this for now, the settings are greyed out for everyone.

In the HV switch manager create a new external switch using your network adapter "Ethernet" for your VMs to use. A new vEthernet adapter will appear in your list which will be used by both the host and VMs, your IPv4 settings will be transferred to this.

Before you jump in to Windows Server spend some time learning about virtualisation and networking. It'll make things easier once you have several visualised clients and servers.

Associate
OP
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Check the IPv4 settings on the Ethernet adapter, as this hasn't been used to create a new switch in HV it's your gateway to the internet.

What should I be checking? Everything is set to automatic in there.

So I just re-enabled HyperV and tried to do what (I think (o.0) you suggested.
QXA9B7j.png

and it throws up an error

NqA359l.png

When choosing which adapter to use the only option is the on in the image or the TAP V9 adapter.

I know that I have some fundemental misunderstanding of what is going on especially when it comes to the networking side of things. I will certainly try to learn whats going on when I manage to get this sorted.

Soldato
The error says the NIC is already used by another virtual switch. It seems when you computer lost it's original HV settings the NIC wasn't released.

You'll probably be able to fix it using PowerShell, I don't have much experience of using PowerShell to configure HV so Google is your friend for now.

If there isn't much on the host computer maybe reinstall the OS.

Associate
OP
Well now I feel very stupid.

I was just messing around with it and saw that whenever Hyper V is enabled, the proporties for my Ethernet Adapter had these top 5 boxes unchecked.

tP0sVSY.png

I don't know how I missed that. I was looking for a complexed solution when a simple one was right infront of my eyes.

Thank you both for the help. All is well with the world once again :D

Back
Top Bottom