**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Soldato
I popped in my local EE store at lunchtime and played around too. Damn those phones (both of them) have improved a lot over their predecessors. They now have that screen-looks-like-it's-the-surface quality which I've seen on iPhones and they're built really well. The screen quality is amazing too, I wasn't expecting much but it's far, far better.
I couldn't hide the notch on the demo unit as developer options are password protected. I adjusted the display and text sizes right down on both and the density is scaled, I didn't get more real estate on the XL in terms of numbers of app icons on the screen etc. It's just like the iPhone Xs and Xs Max in this area. It may be different when you actually open apps though.

I may cancel my order for a Google case as I don't want my phone to be hidden. I've sent off an enquiry to bare (the iphone lot in the apple section are raving about them - https://www.bare-cases.com) and will see what they say.

If you're unsure then get yourself down to an EE shop and see for yourself. I'm well happy I've preordered this.

Soldato
I think I'm going to order a 3XL, that notch solution looks ok and certainly liveable. Gonna wait for some reviews to come out before putting any cash down though.

Same as you. I need a play and prop review. I was going to go standard pixel3 but this work around might be ok if I do indeed take a dislike to the notch as I suspect I will. 20% discount on EE and due an upgrade so looks like that is my route

Soldato
I think it all boils down to basically 10 years of building up the worlds most valuble company.

Essential wanted an all screen phone, fair enough. Good idea, bold move. They didn't have the clout to get Samsung to develop custom panels to achieve this. The solution was a chin and a notch. That's not an all screen phone, it's a compromise. Fair enough, their business model is such that if they choose that path they have to compromise.

Apple probably saw it, and though we've always wanted to do an all screen phone, let's see how well we can pull it off. Samsung made the bendable oled panels and moved the connector to the rear. They only did this because apple would be ordering millions of screens (hence my first comment, apple have the money and the buyers). The result was an all screen display minus the notch. The notch is wide due to the IR cameras for faceid.

Then follows all other android handsets with similar sized notches to apples (not essentials....until the teardrop 6t) not because of faceid, but just because. They also have the chin due to the connector. I get the point about moving the notifications up a bit, but I stand by my early comments about design. It's poor design. I'm not saying it's not usable, or serves a purpose......but it's poor design.

I always think if you are going to do something, do it right or don't bother. The black out feature would solve all these problems. Notifications move up to give more screen space, and you achieve good design (well, 99% good design you still have odd sizes speaker grills).

Having front facing speakers gives a reason for the chin, not just because they cant develop bendable panels. So fair play on that front.

I do think that now HTC are involved the pixel 4 xl will look really good.

p.s. The smaller pixel 3 is stunning :)

Thanks, what looks to be a well thought out post. I only have more questions as I'm honestly trying to understand all points of view.

So, from what I can see, the main thing here is Apple seem to get a pass for having a notch as it's because of faceid, but Android manufacturers don't? I understand Apple went for a literally full screen, but many others haven't, they've gone with a chin. You're saying that's purely round buying power? I guess I can see that, although I'm reasonably sure there are some fairly obscure Chinese manufacturers that have done it. It still doesn't really point at everyone copying Apple, more they copied Essential as they don't have the buying power to copy Apple?

I also think, don't they have phone designs like a year or so in advance? Can any of them really have copied the others, unless these designs get leaked in very early stages?

Soldato
I'm also hearing more about how the build quality of the 3 actual feels superior to the 2, which is interesting as I thought the 2 (XL) felt great. I don't think we've mentioned Qi charging much either. That with the more powerful speakers are two decent upgrades for me.

Soldato
Thanks, what looks to be a well thought out post. I only have more questions as I'm honestly trying to understand all points of view.

So, from what I can see, the main thing here is Apple seem to get a pass for having a notch as it's because of faceid, but Android manufacturers don't? I understand Apple went for a literally full screen, but many others haven't, they've gone with a chin. You're saying that's purely round buying power? I guess I can see that, although I'm reasonably sure there are some fairly obscure Chinese manufacturers that have done it. It still doesn't really point at everyone copying Apple, more they copied Essential as they don't have the buying power to copy Apple?

I also think, don't they have phone designs like a year or so in advance? Can any of them really have copied the others, unless these designs get leaked in very early stages?

To be fair, I have no issues with who copies who. Everyone does it. If they improve their offerings, copy away. But please do it for the right reasons, don't copy just for copyings sake.

What I do care about is who does it best. Apple didn't do the notch just for faceid. The notch came about because they wanted an all screen display but obviously the cameras have to go somewhere. What I'm saying is the size of the notch is because of the technology for faceid. Hence I have no issues with apples notch because I understand what they are trying to achieve, and the lenghts they have gone to get there. All screen display.

Android phones on the other hand can't invest enough to get the chin removed, but congrats to google for at least understanding this and sticking a speaker in there. The chinese phones do come close. The chin on the 6T is thin, but the connector is still present and it still has a chin. They all do.

What I'm trying to say is this. If you can't invest in getting the bendy panels to hide the connector then you are not going for an all screen display so dont have a notch.....have a small bezel instead or better yet hide it with software. Apple doesnt need to hide their notch as the top matches the bottom perfectly. Symmetry.

so to sum up, you can keep the notch....but hide it with software to match the chin.

Personally, I did prefer the smaller pixel but I would have bought the XL as my second choice. The notch wouldnt have stopped me from buying it, but I would have really hoped for the hide out feature in the future.

Associate
I'm also hearing more about how the build quality of the 3 actual feels superior to the 2, which is interesting as I thought the 2 (XL) felt great. I don't think we've mentioned Qi charging much either. That with the more powerful speakers are two decent upgrades for me.

What you going to do with the Note 9?

Soldato
What I'm trying to say is this. If you can't invest in getting the bendy panels to hide the connector then you are not going for an all screen display so dont have a notch.....have a small bezel instead or better yet hide it with software. Apple doesnt need to hide their notch as the top matches the bottom perfectly. Symmetry.

Okay, thanks. I can understand your point now at least. All or nothing, really. I still disagree, but I understand it :)

What you going to do with the Note 9?

I don't think I've yet said I will switch to the Pixel 3 XL as my daily yet ;) One benefit of documenting my technological life is I can look back at my decisions Note 4 or Nexus 6, Note 5 or Nexus 6P. I found them very interesting catching up on it again (me having a crap memory, so I don't recall why I chose certain phones!). I think this decision will be an interesting one too. One I don't know which way I lean just yet.

Back
Top Bottom